Pattaya doing something about the hanging wires after social media shaming by foreign tourist

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported that City Hall in Pattaya were doing something about the city's infamous hanging wires after a shaming on social media.

They said that a video had been posted by a foreign tourist.

It concerned a road leading to South Pattaya which has a leaning powerpole in the area of a Big C.

Deputy mayor Manote Nongyai admitted it was a terrible mess. 

He said there were plans to bury cables and the leaning pole would be removed after checks to make sure it didn't represent an immediate danger to passing tourists.

He added that there are plans to bury cables on nine roads in the resort before the end of this month.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

and the leaning pole would be removed after checks to make sure it didn't represent an immediate danger to passing tourists.

Surely the pole should be removed if it DID represent an immediate danger to passing tourists, (bo11ox to passing Thais)

Or could it mean that the actual removal could pose such a danger!   

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Deputy mayor Manote Nongyai admitted it was a terrible mess. 

He said there were plans to bury cables and the leaning pole would be removed after checks to make sure it didn't represent an immediate danger to passing tourists.

That's interesting... my wife showed me the same photo on a Thai social media site yesterday and said that some government pooyai had said it was not their problem because it was a private road not a government road.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

What a joke,  on the Darkside there are thousands of poles leaning. 

They been trying to clean up wires on a Soi called Nernpludwan for years been this last month everyday.  While waiting for my haircut outside I watch them cleaning up thinking there are a handful of companies operating. There looks to be removing hundred yet when you look up there seems thousand still exist. Then what seems cleaning up they put up new rows of wires on each post using them to store their roll up wires for the future. 

The picture shown is nothing close to thousands of poles on the Darkside! 

From my experience this has being a on going problem for decades.They are trying and  pass the buck many times.They dig up the roads like many countries and  it goes forever then they dig it up again by another company.Let hope they fix the overhead wires soon

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

What a joke,  on the Darkside there are thousands of poles leaning. 

They been trying to clean up wires on a Soi called Nernpludwan for years been this last month everyday.  While waiting for my haircut outside I watch them cleaning up thinking there are a handful of companies operating. There looks to be removing hundred yet when you look up there seems thousand still exist. Then what seems cleaning up they put up new rows of wires on each post using them to store their roll up wires for the future. 

The picture shown is nothing close to thousands of poles on the Darkside! 

Ye're never happy. When the Darkside was Dark, ye were screaming for poles with lights. Now that ye have the poles ye want them taken away.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

They started putting cables underground in Bangkok 5 years ago. Anyone know how they're getting on?

Goodbye hanging wires - hello modern Bangkok! • Samui Times

North Pattaya Rd is completely done. City Hall is on the road but that is just co-incidental.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that there are plans to bury cables on nine roads in the resort before the end of this month.

this was obviously a typo error by the reporter,   it should read  :

He added that there are plans to bury cables on nine roads in the resort before the end of this month decade .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1