Granny Smith apples

SammyJ

Hello All---not my usual. more serious, medical question, but still very much health related and related to Chiang Mai.

For any reading the latest research about sugars, fructose (which metabolizes into Uric Acid), fruit is great, apples are great, as they contain great fiber and other things which are of help--but in moderation--too much fructose (fruit sugar) is harmful to some, especially those with diabetes, hypertension, gout, etc--so, Granny Smith apples are not only very delicious, but the lowest in sugar--I have friends in Bkk that buy them at supermarkets, but i have not been successful in finding them in Chiang Mai--I have tried, the Central Supermarket at Central Festival (where i expected to find them, but didn't),. Tops, Rimping, Big C, all to no avail--they seem to have every other type of apple, ranging in flavor and cost from 15 baht per, to more than 100 baht per, many imported, but again, no Granny Smiths--if they have them in Bkk, thought we would have them here.

So, if anyone knows a market that might have them, I would appreciate the information.

For those interested, below is a copy from an online article about why Granny Smith apples are so good.

Why Granny Smith Apples Are The Preferred Choice

This next study is important cause I find its’ conclusions very true since I’ve felt the same experience with Granny Smith apples. I’ve noticed a good way to keep the pounds off and control hunger more than anything which leads to eating less and losing weight is to eat a Granny Smith apple before a meal and you will notice that your hunger will subside and you’ll end up eating less. This is what I call a “diet hack”, a shortcut to losing weight. Take my advice, it works and so do the researchers of this 2014 study agree as well. The study studied seven varieties of apples on how the bioactive compounds affected the good gut bacteria of diet-induced obese mice. The researchers found that compared to all the other apple varieties, Granny Smith apples had the most beneficial effect on gut bacteria and that’s why I eat mostly eat Granny Smith apples myself compared to all the other apples.

The researchers explain that Granny Smiths are high in non-digestible dietary fiber and polyphenols, and low in carbohydrates. Even after chewing and exposure to stomach acid and digestive enzymes, the compounds are unscathed when they reach the colon. The bacteria present in the colon then ferment the compounds, producing butyric acid that spurs on the growth of friendly gut bacteria, according to Medical News Today. If you are overweight and want to lose pounds, make sure to add Granny Smith apples in your diet. You’ll thank me!

Apple Cider Vinegar from Gout and You

Gout And Eating Apples

When it comes to gout, you should know what apples contain about 14 milligrams of purine compounds per 100 grams of fruit, so it is very low in purines. Applesauce, apple juice and dried apples are also low in purines. Make sure to watch out for the sugar content but for the most part they are allowed in a gout diet. Apples are also high in vitamin C which may help support healthy uric acid levels.

Although there haven’t been any studies as of yet that have analyzed the impact of apples on gout patients, one study shows promise and concluded that apples can combat against inflammatory diseases. This study clearly outlines the anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory role of apple, so a similar response could be expected with gout sufferers after consuming an apple. Another 2013 study on colorectal cancer found that apples possess anti-inflammatory characteristics as it inhibits the activity of COX-2 which is another player when you suffer from gout inflammation.

Finally, a word about fructose. Apples do contain a large concentration of naturally occurring sugar fructose, so again my advice is best to stick with Granny Smith apples since it also has the lowest sugar content from all variety of apples. One cup of sliced Granny Smith apples contains 10.45 grams of sugar. As gout sufferers, it is important to watch out for our sugars --glucose and fructose.

Thank you

I just bought some recently.. not sure if it was in Big C on the highway... or Lotus in Borsang?? But I don't think I see them for sale regularly... but then again I do not search them out... 

just checked the label, I think it was tesco/Lotus in Borsang - it came in a package of 4 - - so, it is probably in any Lotus... maybe call first to save yourself a trip... 

29 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Makro usually has them

But I noticed that sometimes some types of apple are just not available for some time. So if they don't have them now, try again in a while, then they might have them.

I recommend "Pink Lady", imho best taste and good consistency.

Thanks, I do go to Makkro on occasion, but haven't looked there for apples--yes, i know the Pink lady, great taste, but it is about sugar content, and not that you must, but in the article i copied about Granny Smith apples, they have some characteristics that are especially helpful in those wanting to limit fructose and uric acid.

7 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Makro for the win..now just need to be a member or bribe one!

Ive been told that for the Makkro in Chiang Mai that the membership requirement has changed.

Now, anyone may be a member in order to accumulate points, or, can purchase items without a membership number.  Has anyone else heard this or done this?

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 4:45 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

I just bought some recently.. not sure if it was in Big C on the highway... or Lotus in Borsang?? But I don't think I see them for sale regularly... but then again I do not search them out... 

just checked the label, I think it was tesco/Lotus in Borsang - it came in a package of 4 - - so, it is probably in any Lotus... maybe call first to save yourself a trip... 

Thanks, I will take a look--Lotus is one of the few places I haven't been to.

On 8/10/2022 at 6:23 PM, KannikaP said:

Makro have 4 x Organic Granny Smiths, perfect for Crumble with an 'added' ingredient between the apple & the crumble. Mmmmmmm.

By the way, who the 4uck was Granny Smith?

Same 4 pack of GS apples at Lotus Ruam Chok yesterday.  They don't taste full flavor, obviously not high nutrient density (per taste buds not refractometer) , and barely ripened, harvested too early as is necessary for long distance imports.

Some prefer Pippins for apple pie. 

Granny Smith, I think she was neighbor of Aunt Jemima, who washed with Dr Bronner castile soap, who bought his boots from Doc Martin. 

Fructose has nothing to do with diabetes. It is not metabolized by insulin, but processed in the liver, where it can cause fatty liver disease.

If the OP wants a fruit low in fructose, I suggest he try guava, which is even lower in sugar than a Granny Smith. It is also in plentiful supply here. It also seems less prone to Maillard reactions when kept cut up in the refrigerator