Attempted credit card fraud.

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

I use AliExpress all the time and never had problems. The issues you describe mean that they have control of your endpoint (your PC or phone). If you change your password they lose access, if they know your new password it means they have access to your keyboard (key logger).

AliExpress can store the CVV, if you don't want that delete your payment method and put your card details by hand...but if your endpoint is hacked they'll get all the details and can shop anywhere.

That's most helpful advice thank you. I was using Windows 10 OS on my laptop. I immediately formatted the hard drive and installed a Linux distro. The hackers continued to work their way through my Google bookmarks. I was receiving warnings such as; 'Unusual log in (or attempted) detected from Russia/Romania' from the likes of 'FreeVoipDeal' through to 'Spotify'.  

• Like 1

I live in Thailand and twice in the last six months my card has been used in the UK for purchases, usually they start with small amounts to test the reaction.

I have no idea how they get the number but the only thing you can do from my experience is

1 have the system on your phone that shows an alert when any transaction is made.

2 Immediately contact your bank and have the card cancelled and a new one reissued

3 Have the bank cancel the transaction and a refund made to your account.

• Thanks 2

My experience... 

I have a KTC Thai credit cards (3) since 2011.

About a month ago the bank rang, late on a Friday night, and informed me that my wife's credit card (second card holder under me) has been compromised and they spoke to visa international and the card needs to be cancel immediately!! 

I immediately hang up thinking it was a scam call and I rang back KTC myself to find out if it was really them or not. 

KTB Call center confirmed the story and they strongly suggested that the card needs to be cancelled asap. 

So I got them the cancel the card and a replacement card arrived in few days. 

Apparently someone in Europe tried or was going to try using it. 

I'm very very careful with using my KTC and Krungsri credit cards here in Thailand, as if something goes wrong I won't have the same rights fighting with the bank as if I would have back home with the commonwealth bank of Australia. 

Both KTC and Krungsri apps notifications are on and an otp is required for any transactions over 1 Baht. better safe than sorry ????

• Thanks 1

When I had a mobile business back in the UK I used my mobile telephone to order/pay for goods on my card. Exactly the same transaction on my card from the US which was not me, the bank told me never pay for goods by card on your mobile 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Theory said:

Cash is king. buy COD, pay by bank transfer and never transfer from you major accounts. Only transfer from a low balance account for this purposes/ATM. ????  I use CCard only for international tickets (in Thailand). 

Does cash.give you 3 to 5% back, extended warranty, car rental CDW, free cellphone insurance, etc., plus bonuses of up to 1k (effectively up to 1.5k) for signing?

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Does cash.give you 3 to 5% back, extended warranty, car rental CDW, free cellphone insurance, etc., plus bonuses of up to 1k (effectively up to 1.5k) for signing?

I try to keep my life simple/less headache. I don't care much about those little attractions. 
You do what is right for you.

5 hours ago, Expat68 said:

When I had a mobile business back in the UK I used my mobile telephone to order/pay for goods on my card. Exactly the same transaction on my card from the US which was not me, the bank told me never pay for goods by card on your mobile 

Maybe that's due to the number of people who conduct their business/personal banking using mobiles (I'm guessing the majority nowadays). Hackers would therefore put more effort into cracking Android and iOS operating systems than Windows and Linux?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, walailak said:

My experience... 

I have a KTC Thai credit cards (3) since 2011.

About a month ago the bank rang, late on a Friday night, and informed me that my wife's credit card (second card holder under me) has been compromised and they spoke to visa international and the card needs to be cancel immediately!! 

I immediately hang up thinking it was a scam call and I rang back KTC myself to find out if it was really them or not. 

KTB Call center confirmed the story and they strongly suggested that the card needs to be cancelled asap. 

So I got them the cancel the card and a replacement card arrived in few days. 

Apparently someone in Europe tried or was going to try using it. 

I'm very very careful with using my KTC and Krungsri credit cards here in Thailand, as if something goes wrong I won't have the same rights fighting with the bank as if I would have back home with the commonwealth bank of Australia. 

Both KTC and Krungsri apps notifications are on and an otp is required for any transactions over 1 Baht. better safe than sorry ????

I have had no issue with the Bangkok Bank here and was one of the group who had small amounts scammed plus from overseas twice in the last year.

They have given me as good service as anything I had with Suncorp in Australia  who I think are a top bank. 

( Unfortunately soon to disappear)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The Theory said:

Cash is king. buy COD, pay by bank transfer and never transfer from you major accounts. Only transfer from a low balance account for this purposes/ATM. ????  I use CCard only for international tickets (in Thailand). 

From what I see happening not only here but in Western Countries you might you might be left like the proverbial

“ <deleted> on the rock”

as the use of cash is rapidly disappearing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

From what I see happening not only here but in Western Countries you might you might be left like the proverbial

“ <deleted> on the rock”

as the use of cash is rapidly disappearing.

Dear me, don’t they realize that the word that has been deleted also refers to a type of bird , as I intended and also a type of tobacco.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:54 PM, JimmyJ said:

"Any advice most welcome."

There are two kinds of websites - Those that have been hacked, and those that will be hacked.

It's really not worth worrying about, other than the hassle of getting the new card itself to Thailand.

Yes, update on my post . Went to my bank ( France) for the new card and asked for the details. All they had was that someone tried to use the card 3 times in USA. Not sure, but probably, online. They told me no worries, it’s happening all the time , I changed all my passwords to be sure. Luckily my bank is near home. For traveling abroad I’m thinking of getting another card which will have a smaller limit. 
whatever, bank said I’m covered and have extra insurance. Thanks everyone for input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1