New seatbelt law: Police will go "softly softly" from Sept 5 - but fines are "at the discretion of the officer"

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Previously it was just the front meaning the driver and passenger.

I thought this was put in law  for both front and back from some years ago?

I remember being stopped at the check point by the Ambassador in Pattaya and one of the passengers in the back was asleep and did not have his seat belt on (of which I was unaware). The policeman wanted to fine me 400 baht (may have been more) but I eventually got him to relent. This would have been 3-4 years ago. 

I have been telling any passengers ever since to make sure they belt up.

• Like 1

"Softly. softly", "go easy (on irresponsibility), "fines discretionary"

While people continue to DIE!

And for the Country's populace to be publicly told this!

Sets the example I won't be taking - or ever did!

7 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

"Softly. softly", "go easy (on irresponsibility), "fines discretionary"

While people continue to DIE!

And for the Country's populace to be publicly told this!

Sets the example I won't be taking - or ever did!

really I couldnt care  less about THEM, they know what the ultimate  price  is, so  up to them, the only enforcement should be kids.

Any adult  injury if found  not wearing a  seat belt= no free  medical care form the state.....or their insurance, let em die

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

really I couldnt care  less about THEM, they know what the ultimate  price  is, so  up to them, the only enforcement should be kids.

Any adult  injury if found  not wearing a  seat belt= no free  medical care form the state.....or their insurance, let em die

Is that a response to my comment? Do you think I exclude children? 

You don't care but some of us do! I don't want to hear of people dying or suffering even if they brought it upon themselves!

This matter of wearing seat belts and crash helmets should be taken seriously by everyone, including Government but in twenty years I have been here,  that same everyone, has done just about nothing!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

...and not a moment too soon since they recently lost their backhanders from the ganja trade.

Look for those "backhanders" to return with additional laws in the foreseeable future.

The War on Drugs isn't going out with a "whimper" but with a "roar" if it goes out at all.

Buckle up for a wild ride.

• Like 2

The law has not been written properly. It should read that it is the officers discretion but only if it does not involve a falang then it will be the maximum coffee money ooops sorry that should have been fine

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

These were typically wishy-washy indicating that the RTP hasn't really thought the issue through. The spokesman didn't even know what different car seats were.

Man..  these people are just plain dumb dumb dumb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Actually that's a pretty good idea - insurance invalidated by non-wearing of seatbelt (just as life insurance is invalidated by suicide)

• Thanks 2