New seatbelt law: Police will go "softly softly" from Sept 5 - but fines are "at the discretion of the officer"

webfact

When front seatbelts became mandatory I remember there was an interim period where officers would give a warning (please correct me if I have misremembered). Like all things Thai, people need to be made aware and many simply don't know when new laws are introduced. It says something that not everyone reads newspapers. 

No doubt rear seatbelts will catch on as they are fitted on new cars already. Expect Bangkok to wear seatbelts, then word will spread 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

they all had to belt up. 

Meaning,,,If someone tells you to belt up, they are telling you in a very impolite way to stop talking. [British, informal]. Chambers waved his hand. 'Belt up!' he ...  

Who comes up with these so called laws... with out working out the details first....I agree  all for laws to protect life . But if they can't do anything about crash helmets on a motorcycle..that is very visible and easy to see and cars with no number plates...have they going to police something that is not easy visible...so I'm come to the conclusion.its tax another excuse to collect money at the road side..eg cant find anything wrong ...oh no seat belt..   nothing really about protecting the people at my all.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

When front seatbelts became mandatory I remember there was an interim period where officers would give a warning (please correct me if I have misremembered).

Police officers have the authority to use their discretion and just issue a warning for any offence at any time.

2 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

It's exactly the same as with tinted glass, if I remember correctly 30% was the maximum allowed, about 15 years ago.

But even that was not sustainable to enforce.

There have never been laws specifying the maximum tint in Thailand, there were going to be regulations introduced in 2000 but those plans were abandoned.

That must be the same level of EASE that they have been applying to passengers in the back of a pick-up for a decade or more.

But we must give the man in charge of the Ministry of Transport some credit.  Now only South Africa has more road fatalities.

How does that affect the passengers in the back of a songthaew?

Every morning I see one going to the local school with so many pupils on it (at least 20) that 4 or 5 boys are hanging on outside.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

There is no official support for the banning of passengers in pickup beds as all the likely victims are poor, and thus of no consequence.

Same for seatbelts and child seats. The rich and well educated will use them (except for the arrogant) but the poor, who really need telling of the consequences, will not through ignorance and apathy. Their children will be the victims.

Proud to be ignorant and being alive coz of NOT having had the seat belt when having had the accident

If there is one aspect of the RTP that remains consistent, it is their extreme level of indifference, when it comes to anything traffic safety related. Same applies to the highway patrol. The carnage will continue unabated. When is the last time you saw a maniac pulled over for reckless driving by the infamous "highway patrol"? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

Actually that's a pretty good idea - insurance invalidated by non-wearing of seatbelt (just as life insurance is invalidated by suicide)

Not all life policies are invalidated by suicide .