Thailand’s Awkward Pursuit of American F-35As

webfact

Just now, Excel said:

Who knows ? I don't and most certainly you don't either. Anything is a possibility in this currently unstable world

Go have a beer and chill out, stress will get you before any of these other things you are imagining......

• Like 1

Just now, sungod said:

Go have a beer and chill out, stress will get you before any of these other things you are imagining......

Don't drink beer or any form of alcohol now. Perhaps that's your problem you drink too much and it is clouding the logical thought process in your brain. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Don't drink beer or any form of alcohol now. Perhaps that's your problem you drink too much and it is clouding the logical thought process in your brain. 

I think very logically. Chances of the Thai Army currently practicing in Lop Buri for an army on army coup/ civil war using heavy artillery and main battle tanks are zero.

If you think its a possibility then you need to start drinking again and stop being a complete drama queen.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

I think very logically. Chances of the Thai Army currently practicing in Lop Buri for an army on army coup/ civil war using heavy artillery and main battle tanks are zero.

If you think its a possibility then you need to start drinking again and stop being a complete drama queen.

Think you need to stop pretending your thought patterns are logical as clearly they are not, you come up with no firm argument rather you choose to attempt to make derogatory remarks, eg accusing me of being a drama queen.  Bye bye you are on ignore as I cannot abide by those who indulge in ignorant name calling.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2022 at 8:49 AM, CANSIAM said:

Won't happen, the USA does not want China having a look at the state-of-the-art stealthy F-35 cockpit data... Work on a payment instalment plan to help the people during this  "grim economic outlook"

keep on dreaming, China, Iran, Pakistan and so on they already get this information thru the academic world and the student exchange programs. It seems that it goes far beyond the academic comprehension and logic that students and the graduation projects they participate in just give away complete information.
Firstly, the western thinking and vision then in addition to that the applied technology and the research that these projects do.

have a look at the industry and you see the result in the design and the looking the nearly same  

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, moogradod said:

The Swiss deal is for 36 planes. Maybe they would get a volume discount. Currently a referendum is running against the acquisition, but there might not be enough time to stop the deal anymore. And by the way, the F-35 comes in different versions which are as well different pricewise.

Point taken, the type however (and I am not an expert) is listed as F-35A ..... whatever that means; in both the Thai as well as the Swiss procurement ???? 

22 hours ago, kickstart said:

Agreed,I know Lopburi quite well ,and these new ammunition dumps will be built along way  from the monkeys .

A PS,for the past 2 weeks the Thai army have been having exercises near me 60 km from Lopburi ,they have brought the tanks up from Sarburi  for a run round  for a few days ,we have been hearing the big artillery guns going off most days ,sometimes at night time too.

Been going on for a long time this time ,unusual I said to the wife, practising for the next coup.

Towards the end of my military career and my second coming as a defense businessman, I was once very closely connected to the RTA’s field artillery community which is based in Lop Buri. Based on those experiences I believe that all we are seeing now is routine combined arms training taking place.  Thai artillerymen routinely fire their howitzers downrange throughout the area all year long, even after nightfall and carry out combined exercises with their infantry and cavalry counterparts typically during August. There’s probably nothing to be concerned about now. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, kickstart said:

Agreed,I know Lopburi quite well ,and these new ammunition dumps will be built along way  from the monkeys .

A PS,for the past 2 weeks the Thai army have been having exercises near me 60 km from Lopburi ,they have brought the tanks up from Sarburi  for a run round  for a few days ,we have been hearing the big artillery guns going off most days ,sometimes at night time too.

Been going on for a long time this time ,unusual I said to the wife, practising for the next coup.

I used to live not far from the munition dump in Lopburi.  I remember one very hot night, the police came around and had everyone vacate their homes and gather at a temple in Khok Sam Rong, down the road in case of the munitions going off in the heat.  Exciting night. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Point taken, the type however (and I am not an expert) is listed as F-35A ..... whatever that means; in both the Thai as well as the Swiss procurement ???? 

I did a quick research on the net. In short:

F-35A = "normal" version with horizontal takeoff and landing for the US Army and for export

F-35B = US-Navy-Version with vertical takeoff capabilities. Used as well by very few selected foreign countries such as Italy

F-35C = Special version for Aircraft Carriers, wings are bigger and may be folded

Source: Wikipedia

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

The F35 is a bit of an Edsel if you ask me. It is way too over priced, only one engine, and 

why does Thailand need a stealth fighter?  It is too bad that the general Thailand population

was not educated in all that can be known about this fighter jet that Thailand does not at all need.

2 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

The F35 is a bit of an Edsel if you ask me. It is way too over priced, only one engine, and 

why does Thailand need a stealth fighter?  It is too bad that the general Thailand population

was not educated in all that can be known about this fighter jet that Thailand does not at all need.

Of course they don’t need the F-35.  If I was to take a stab at why the F-35 buy is so vital to the RTAF, my guess is that you’d need to follow the money.  The official statement of need is generated of course to launch an action leading to a procurement, but nothing gets bought or sold in this country unless someone is enriched by the deal.  From fake airport scanners to submarines, these are pretenses to buy something with government funds where part of those funds can be siphoned off. We’re takin’ the big “C” word here, and if there’s one constant in Thailand it’s that corruption is deeply ingrained and prevalent at every level within this society.  

Falcon Strike exercise between Thailand and China is kicking off today August 14. It will run for 11 days at a military base in northeastern Udon Thani. The sky will be safe lots of aircraft will be in the area.

Edited by Hook
can't spell

10 hours ago, Hook said:

Falcon Strike exercise between Thailand and China is kicking off today August 14. It will run for 11 days at a military base in northeastern Udon Thani. The sky will be safe lots of aircraft will be in the area.

Hmmm, keep crash helmets on for 11 days.....????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/11/2022 at 11:40 AM, Geoffggi said:

there is a good chance that the Biden administration will not approve F-35 sales to Thailand due to the Thai military’s close ties to its Chinese counterpart.

Actually the reverse is true. The Biden Administration will likely approved it because it its close ties to its Chinese benefactor. 

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2022 at 5:25 PM, verticalift said:

After spending over 45 years in the cockpit of both fixed-wing and helicopters mostly in the Persian Gulf, I’m now listening to a few Generals wanting F-35’s here in T’land.
Hell, I’d kinda like to have an F-35 as well….. But, let’s be realistic. I think a flock of F-16’s will suffice.

Agree, perfect plane for them.  Ex-aerospace Engr.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 6:15 PM, connda said:

Status symbol.  They'll regret it over the long term.  Why do they need F35s?  There are better, less expensive, and easier to maintain solutions. 

Less expensive,NOOO! Where's the personal profit in low cost rubbish? They'll regret it? No they won't, once that money is in their greedy littlehands, they don't care! Get with the program!