Thailand’s Awkward Pursuit of American F-35As

webfact

44 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

Is it possible to park these F-35s on the deck of the aircraft carrier?

That would be something:  American stealth fighters launched from a Chinese aircraft carrier.  Amazing Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

That's the beauty of democracy. Government representatives and lawmakers make and implement their rules and decisions and there is not a thing any citizen can do about it.

Or the beauty of the Authoritarian circle........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ramdas said:

They really have their priorities backwards haven’t they ?! ????????‍♂️
Instead of learning and training people on how to drive plus having an effective police force in place who do what they’re supposed to do like stopping unlawful thai drivers and the like plus just to mention replacing ancient over polluting trucks and buses then upgrading their whole railway network they’re thinking of buying such planes ( which they won’t even be able to use ) Just so they can show it off to the Chinese ?!    Brainless to put it simple ????

And how is this different from anywhere else?  The US spends over $700 billion in the military each year yet 14.5% of the population live in poverty.

Not sure what polluting buses have to do with a military budget.

So the US should solve poverty, their awful schooling, fix their crumbling infrastructure before they can spend on the military?  I agree, that would be a wonderful thing.

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

What do monkeys have to do with F 35s? . . . Never mind.

Agreed,I know Lopburi quite well ,and these new ammunition dumps will be built along way  from the monkeys .

A PS,for the past 2 weeks the Thai army have been having exercises near me 60 km from Lopburi ,they have brought the tanks up from Sarburi  for a run round  for a few days ,we have been hearing the big artillery guns going off most days ,sometimes at night time too.

Been going on for a long time this time ,unusual I said to the wife, practising for the next coup.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Thai army purchases make zero sense. Aircraft carriers without aircrafts, submarines without engines and now 2 attack fighterjets without weapon systems but with enormously high maintenance costs. It's unbelievable how taxpayers' money is wasted here.

It's not really wasted,  it fills in the day for the bosses playing their imaginary war-games plus it keeps when away from making any serious blunders. 

a) the Swiss air force bought the same planes at THB 6 billion a pop or THB 1.4 billion cheaper than the Thai version. Anything to do with the Thai flag on the rudders? 
b) NATO has some 820 such planes in their combined air force. Let's hope that NATO never invades Thailand then .......
c) why not just steal the money from the Ministry of Finance without air force, big toys for big boys; cheaper for everybody while the powers-to-be still can have-their-cake-and-eat-it 

Your call ???? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

a) the Swiss air force bought the same planes at THB 6 billion a pop or THB 1.4 billion cheaper than the Thai version. Anything to do with the Thai flag on the rudders? 
b) .....................

The Swiss deal is for 36 planes. Maybe they would get a volume discount. Currently a referendum is running against the acquisition, but there might not be enough time to stop the deal anymore. And by the way, the F-35 comes in different versions which are as well different pricewise.

17 hours ago, kickstart said:

A PS,for the past 2 weeks the Thai army have been having exercises near me 60 km from Lopburi ,they have brought the tanks up from Sarburi  for a run round  for a few days ,we have been hearing the big artillery guns going off most days ,sometimes at night time too.

Been going on for a long time this time ,unusual I said to the wife, practising for the next coup.

Why would they be practicing for a coup using heavy artillery and main battle tanks?

• Like 1