Suzuki Swift or Celerio?

YITB1980

For those who have direct experience with the Suzuki line, what are the pros and cons for each?

Also, is it just me or are these cars geared towards the female market? (I don’t think I know a male farang who owns either model.)

35 minutes ago, YITB1980 said:

For those who have direct experience with the Suzuki line, what are the pros and cons for each?

IMHO another man's meat is another man's poison get and test drive them for yourself.

• Like 2

Haven't driven either ... but peeked at both, a few times.

For me, the deciding factor would be highway kms, and do you plan on racking up more than a few.  If for just knocking around town/city, then either one.   

Swift, better styling.  Celerio, straight economics, both buy in & operating cost.  20 kpL ... impressive.

• Like 1

We have a 2015 Celerio GL CVT, so I know the ins and outs of our particular ride.

Now 7 years old and still going strong. Though it does look a bit like a grannies car from factory, added wider taller rims does change the look and feel of the car.

As a 1960's Mini Cooper and Cooper S driver, I found the Celerio did bring a smile to my face with its now fitted bigger footprints.

Mini Cooper and the Celerio are both 998cc, Cooper at about 55hp to the Celerio 68hp, the Celerio having bundles of torque at low RPM to get the thing moving even with a load. The CVT is OK, the sports mode works, but rarely use it as the thing moves without effort. The 5 doors make things really easy for a small car, has 5 seatbelts too.

A/C is excellent for small engine to power, the electric power steering too is excellent. Brakes will stop you on a sixpence.

Though a small car, the inside is huge, the door size/openings are the same as my Vigo pickup, and so is the headroom, if you park next to a big saloon you can see how tall it is. Even has space in the rear for luggage, shopping. Also has central key fob locking. 

The car is not a slug, I fly around in it.

It is also very happy on the open road, cruising at highway speeds is no problem.

At 7 years old, what problems have we had.

A/C compressor clutch, Suzuki changed it in situ, no full compressor replacement..........About 4000bht.

Radiator/A/C electric fan motor.......Can't remember, but not expensive.

Cabin A/C blower motor......2700bht

Shimmed front brake caliper slide pins. 0bht, I did it.

PS. The new shape Celerio, in my opinion, is 'orrible...

Here is our Mini Suuper....

1692543268_Kapookracecar...(2020_09_1104_33_26UTC).jpg.515c6c76037e224c6b574a127c337873.jpg189247661_suz(2020_09_1104_33_26UTC).jpg.315d957427a75eb961a10970bc49de09.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Kg per HP and KG per Nm is very similar for both cars. Any difference would be the weight of the passengers. 

There's rather more to it than that. The Celerio has a 3-cyl engine whereas the Swift has a 4-cyl unit which is smoother and delivers more torque. The Swift  has higher gearing and so at a given cruising speed its engine will be operating at lower RPM.

The Celerio has relatively low geared steering and considerably more body roll than the Swift. The Swift is simply more sophisticated and more capable at highway speeds - no surprise since it sits above the Celerio in the Suzuki line-up.

I can't think of any normally-aspirated 3-cyl city car that I would want for regular motorway use.

The new 'Third Generation'  Celerio promises to be a big improvement over the current model since its built on a slightly cut-down Swift chassis (Suzuki 'Heartect' platform).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

There's rather more to it than that. The Celerio has a 3-cyl engine whereas the Swift has a 4-cyl unit which is smoother and delivers more torque. The Swift  has higher gearing and so at a given cruising speed its engine will be operating at lower RPM.

The Celerio has relatively low geared steering and considerably more body roll than the Swift. The Swift is simply more sophisticated and more capable at highway speeds - no surprise since it sits above the Celerio in the Suzuki line-up.

I can't think of any normally-aspirated 3-cyl city car that I would want for regular motorway use.

The new 'Third Generation'  Celerio promises to be a big improvement over the current model since its built on a slightly cut-down Swift chassis (Suzuki 'Heartect' platform).

Yes I know about the Swift, I posted on the Celerio as we have had one for years.

I also mentioned the change of wheel rims/tyres which eliminates any roll...  Stock, 14x5, now 15x7, highly recommended.

The Celerio is a town car, it is sold as a town car, park it anywhere, but it is a mistake to think it can't handle highway cruising, because we have done a few 5 hour non-stop trips. 

Back in the day I drove all over England in 1960's Mini's and 1100's, no A/C or power steering, but if one is frail, then I suppose a bus maybe preferable..???? 

Something to consider..........Sandwiched after being struck from behind, by a truck, in stopped traffic.  The airbags, crush zones, and seat belts functioned perfectly. No interior damage. This one was replaced by an identical model and now, six years on, we have ordered another one.  Its my wife's car and she didn't want anything else, even though price was not an object. The new Swift has front and side airbags.  There is currently more than a two month wait if the dealer doesn't have in stock exactly what you want. The wife says she will wait. 

CameraZOOM-20161107165830449.jpg

20161107_165109.jpg

20161107_165611.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/12/2022 at 9:32 AM, transam said:

We have a 2015 Celerio GL CVT, so I know the ins and outs of our particular ride.

Now 7 years old and still going strong. Though it does look a bit like a grannies car from factory, added wider taller rims does change the look and feel of the car.

As a 1960's Mini Cooper and Cooper S driver, I found the Celerio did bring a smile to my face with its now fitted bigger footprints.

Mini Cooper and the Celerio are both 998cc, Cooper at about 55hp to the Celerio 68hp, the Celerio having bundles of torque at low RPM to get the thing moving even with a load. The CVT is OK, the sports mode works, but rarely use it as the thing moves without effort. The 5 doors make things really easy for a small car, has 5 seatbelts too.

A/C is excellent for small engine to power, the electric power steering too is excellent. Brakes will stop you on a sixpence.

Though a small car, the inside is huge, the door size/openings are the same as my Vigo pickup, and so is the headroom, if you park next to a big saloon you can see how tall it is. Even has space in the rear for luggage, shopping. Also has central key fob locking. 

The car is not a slug, I fly around in it.

It is also very happy on the open road, cruising at highway speeds is no problem.

At 7 years old, what problems have we had.

A/C compressor clutch, Suzuki changed it in situ, no full compressor replacement..........About 4000bht.

Radiator/A/C electric fan motor.......Can't remember, but not expensive.

Cabin A/C blower motor......2700bht

Shimmed front brake caliper slide pins. 0bht, I did it.

PS. The new shape Celerio, in my opinion, is 'orrible...

Here is our Mini Suuper....

1692543268_Kapookracecar...(2020_09_1104_33_26UTC).jpg.515c6c76037e224c6b574a127c337873.jpg189247661_suz(2020_09_1104_33_26UTC).jpg.315d957427a75eb961a10970bc49de09.jpg

My family bought a mini in the 1960s for 500 quid!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have had my Suzuki Swift since 2012 and think it is just a wonderful car, and as someone else has said, has great roadholding, so although I don't use it around town much, but I do trips around the island in it and thoroughly enjoy driving it.

It was the top of the range model and is a peppy little car if one wants to drive it like that, as it does have a sports mode, and the acceleration still surprises me sometimes!

I can't fault it, nor can I fault the local Suzuki dealer, so if I were to consider buying another car, I would certainly go for the new model Swift again.

Just thought I would mention that at the moment I do about 14 km to the litre of gasoline, and as I've only done about 38,000 km in it, it will probably see me out, as the saying goes!

Best decision I ever made was buying that car.

Resale on your swift is very good. My wife will rade hers for another one sometime this year (it's all round a better car than ours) - 4wheel disks, 6 arbags, better fuel economy, etc. Pleanty of places to do modifications too. 

But yours has only 38k on it, you may as well keep it, until it starts having problems (which ours hasn't). Many run 200-300K kms with no or minor issues. 

• Like 2

My issue with these cheap and not so cheap, entry level Jap badged cars is road noise on the highway.  Quite annoying.  Our Vios (2) were terrible, and Mazda2 just a tad better.

Our MG ZS is quite comfy & quiet compared to both models, and just a wee bit more in price than the top end versions of those models.   One could even go EV with the MG EP, for 100k or less than the top end of those model.

Although you could buy 2 of the cheap Celerios (MT) for less ... ????

Remember on road trips early on, I'd listen to music on the highway, and then when stopping at the way too many intersections on those inter-province highways, I'd have to turn the volume down, it was so loud to drown out the road nice, or so I could hear the music while at speed.  That's when it sinks in how annoying the road noise is.  Fine for around town, but not a fan on the highway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

My issue with these cheap and not so cheap, entry level Jap badged cars is road noise on the highway.  Quite annoying.  Our Vios (2) were terrible, and Mazda2 just a tad better.

Our MG ZS is quite comfy & quiet compared to both models, and just a wee bit more in price than the top end versions of those models.   One could even go EV with the MG EP, for 100k or less than the top end of those model.

Although you could buy 2 of the cheap Celerios (MT) for less ... ????

Remember on road trips early on, I'd listen to music on the highway, and then when stopping at the way too many intersections on those inter-province highways, I'd have to turn the volume down, it was so loud to drown out the road nice, or so I could hear the music while at speed.  That's when it sinks in how annoying the road noise is.  Fine for around town, but not a fan on the highway.

MG ZS is a different class of car. We can compare your MG to a CRV. That would be more fair. The swit really doesn't make that much noise on the highway. It can also be improved with sound deadener. 

I want to replace my 19 year old Toyota pickup. It still drives well, but it's time for a change.

So far I've looked at the MG ZS EV:

MGSZEV.jpg.881fc54aeb58fbe4703a0a1559b19b8f.jpg

and the MG HS Plug-in:

831927463_MGHSPlug-in.jpg.8153c2e856cf66497017f35295da2e82.jpg

but I don't really want anything electric as it goes against my anti-climate-alarmist views.

So now I'm looking at a Toyota Vios, as there was a nice blue one that I saw recently:

904533734_2022-08-1521_21_30-Greenshot700.jpg.c80eb3261044389d900bf4e2bba778c1.jpg

But I really want a 2-door hatchback with rear seats that fold down flat.

I wish I'd kept my gas-guzzler Mustang with its lacquered metal-flake paint job:

mustang_2.jpg.c6144445b7f6b3823b2e0f16ec673372.jpg

5 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

So far I've looked at the MG ZS EV:

Don’t mention the MG EV.... otherwise Khun LA will be all over this thread like a cheap suit... :passifier:

[Edit - too late...  he’s already here... he must have some kind of alert set up !!] ????

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Me I'd go for top Swift model, they look pretty cool pimped out.

Depends if buying to 'look pretty cool', or for the specs of the car/performance, never buying petrol again, or all that silly maintenance ... and ... saving the planet, if you believe in MMGW

Personally I'd simply spend ฿142k more

Swift GLX CVT  ... ฿629k before pimped out

Swift GLX CVT 1197 cc engine offers 82 PS of power and 108 Nm of torque.

MG EP Plus ... ฿771k

MG EP Plus ... 165 PS  Torque230 Nm

With the money saved for all the petrol & maintenance of the Swift or Celerio, you can buy a new cheap Celerio, before the warranty of the EP expires.  Buy 1 Get 1 ????

Better yet, don't buy the cheap Celerio with the saving, and instead have solar installed at the house, and you never need to pay PEA ever again.  No petrol bill or electric bill.

That will put a few extra ฿฿฿฿ in the ol' pocket.  But what do I know, I'm just an MG/EV troll.

UP2U ... your money, though I always preferred to retire early, instead of working till I drop dead.

Edited by KhunLA

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Depends if buying to 'look pretty cool', or for the specs of the car/performance, never buying petrol again, or all that silly maintenance ... and ... saving the planet, if you believe in MMCG

Personally I'd simply spend ฿142k more

Swift GLX CVT  ... ฿629k before pimped out

Swift GLX CVT 1197 cc engine offers 82 PS of power and 108 Nm of torque.

MG EP Plus ... ฿771k

MG EP Plus ... 165 PS  Torque230 Nm

With the money saved for all the petrol & maintenance of the Swift or Celerio, you can buy a new cheap Celerio, before the warranty of the EP expires.  Buy 1 Get 1 ????

UP2U ... your money, though I always preferred to retire early, instead of working till I drop dead.

The Suzuki Swift is a Japanese designed car though..........????

The MG is a British designed car, or so they say .............????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

The Suzuki Swift is a Japanese designed car though..........????

The MG is a British designed car, or so they say .............????

But thankfully not made in the UK ????

And Thai baht will pay for either one ... amazing

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

But thankfully not made in the UK ????

And Thai baht will pay for either one ... amazing

MG's are assembled in many countries, using Chinese materials, not British materials.

But it's great to know that probably the best cars on the road are still made on British soil, Rolls Royce & Bentley, strange that eh...

Probably pay in Thai Baht too....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's one opinion ... ????

... and yet, WE both went for that CHEAP car ????

Mine ...  from China/TH, next one from China

Yours ... from Japan, TH, UK ??? doesn't really matter.

No, it was a small car, a toss up between a Japanese designed Nissan March and Suzuki Celerio, I think both assembled in Thailand with probably 90% Japanese parts....????

21 minutes ago, transam said:

No, it was a small car, a toss up between a Japanese designed Nissan March and Suzuki Celerio, I think both assembled in Thailand with probably 90% Japanese parts....????

You can't get any  cheaper than ฿328k (MT) / ฿408k (AT)

Not a bad thing ... just reality

2022 looks good, though don't think I'd enjoy long hwy drives in it, and would think way too noisy, along the lines of, of worse, than the Vios & Mazda2.