Letters and Statement from SCB bank for Visa Extension

When requested to update passbooks, Khonkaen branches of both SCB and Bangkok Bank have a policy of only printing the most recent three months of transactions in the book. If you have a passbook that has not been updated for a period longer than that, you will get the net amount of all the earlier transactions collapsed into a single line entry. Of course this makes it impossible to prove that the balance never dipped below the required amount. You can demand a detailed listing printed on bank stationery for an additional 100 baht service charge.

I don't know how long this policy has been in effect - but I first noticed it in 2020. So far, immigration has failed to object - but it has the potential to become a sticking point in the future.

On 8/13/2022 at 2:04 PM, placnx said:

In CHiang Mai they want to see the back statement printout and letter done within the last week.

With Phetchabun it is on the day of application, Phitsanulok was up to 7 days, last time I used them (6 hour round trip + waiting time in the office) my letter was 8 days old not acceptable

OK so here's how it played out....

I withdrew 100thb and updated SCB Savings Bank book on the weekend and photo copied.

Went to SCB 9am Monday, got the letter and statement that MATCHED the above final balance in the account.

Immigration at 10.30am.

My ONLY document error ! I was told to go take 100thb out, update bank book and photocopy.

ie "They like to see the money has not been removed from the account today".....

On 8/13/2022 at 11:12 AM, foreverlomsak said:

On retirement extension and money in the bank.

Phetchabun have required me to provide a 12 month bank statement and copies of passbook for the last 3 years (all pages right back to 2014, what the h### 2014 has to do with a 2022 extension don't know), previously, back as far as 2006, only the book was required.

Might they also, for good measure, require a 12-month bank statement to be obtained on the date of your retirement extension application and include a nominal transaction of, say, 100 THB performed on this date? If so, this requirement would be impossible to comply with in practice where the 800k balance is held in a Bangkok Bank account, in view of their inability to provide 12-month statements on the spot!

28 minutes ago, OJAS said:

If so, this requirement would be impossible to comply with in practice where the 800k balance is held in a Bangkok Bank account, in view of their inability to provide 12-month statements on the spot!

Why I use SCB for my Immigration funds.

I take out 1,900 Baht from the ATM and update the passbook while waiting for the bank to open. When it does go in and get the bank letter (balance agrees with passbook) and the statement, which doesn't.

Immigration seem to be happy with this.

• Like 1

Dear Forever:

People with a fixed savings account at SCB cannot do book updates at an ATM machine or equivalent. 

Only counter transactions allowed.

Thus, in Bangkok, at Immo/CW, I do the following:

1) Make an advance appointment on the Immo website for about 10:00 a.m. on the day I intend to renew the extension (retirement)

2) Go to the nearest SCB branch and get first in line when the bank opens at 8:30 a.m. on the day of the extension appointment

3)  Deposit 1,000 baht to my fixed savings account (or less, or withdraw, but keep balance well above 800K)

4) Ask for the letter to Immo and a one-year statement.  This branch is well-acquainted with what I need, and they do it in about 15 minutes.

5) Pay the fee for the letter (200 baht).

6) Ask the bank to make photocopies of the fixed deposit savings account bank book.

Caveat: In my last visit (April, 2022), the SCB bank clerk only photocopied the name page and the last page of the bank book. 

However, Immo/CW wanted a photocopy of every page of the bank book going back a full year.   So, be aware -- but my kindly Immo officer offered to make the extra photocopies herself -- which, in my case, she didn't have to because I had done this in advance, just in case, while waiting for my appointed time.

It's a breeze now, with the advance, online appointment system.

• Like 1