Search on for tourist wanted for illegal fishing in southern marine park

webfact

As if Thais don't kill and eat anything that fly's, swims or walks anywhere on a daily basis.

Thailand is rapidly returning to the pits it crawled out of with this bunch of clowns in charge.

Anyone remember the tsunami. Falangs flocked to Thailand to help the economy recover, even after prices tripled overnight, they were happy enough to welcome falangs then. But the innate nature of the Thais soon kicked in - beg for help then mug the helper. They can't help it, if you save a snake it will still bite you. Problem for Thailand is people are wishing up and spending their money in Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blackshadow said:

hooks do not kill a fish......it is the way the angler takes the hook out of the fishes mouth that COULD KILL !!!

Damage to the gills, eyes, or internal organs can be fatal..And much more serious if the fish is hooked deep in the throat or gut...Your honor. ????

Edited by Tarteso

Ridiculous amount of noise from the police on this small incident, but also stupidity by the tourist for fishing illegally and then posting on the internet. Too many foreigners arriving here in recent times leave their brains at the airport.

The National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department is the body charged with protecting marine sanctuaries, along with other responsibilities as per their Acts of law.  

It is not unusual for agencies like this to seek help from police to locate alleged offenders.  So, now blaming the Thai police for allocating resources to this case in lieu of perhaps enforcing the new seat belt laws is silly. 

The RTP are acting on a request from another government agency.  They technically cannot just ignore this file (and yes I know very well the lack of response to many things). 

True, the captain of the boat should be questioned as well and action taken.  If the foreigner claims he did not know it was illegal then I suppose they need to prove he did know, should have known, or perhaps it is an offence where the only proof needed is the act of fishing in that protected area?  

Illegal fishing and reef destruction by Thais for sure goes on.  And there should be lots of resources from whatever agencies enforce those laws.  I am not privy to court case files in Thailand so no idea how many get prosecuted.  

The 'broken window' theory is something implemented in New York whereas police began prosecuting for small crimes that were previously overlooked and it began to act as an effective deterrent and reduced major crimes.  I suggest this media 'expose' was aimed at deterring others from exploiting and damaging marine sanctuaries. 

The foreigner's Tick Tock posting made it viral and probably pi##ed off a lot of environmental Thais who reported it (I know sounds like an oxymoron).  Xenophobia?  I don't believe so.  If it was a Thai posting on Tick Tok fishing in a protected marine sanctuary I am sure he/she would be targeted too.  

Edited by aussienam

6 hours ago, fulhamster said:

If they know that the tourist has already checked out, then they must know his identity. Immigration should be able to track him down......

They cannot get the smart BMW started , but as soon as they

get new battery they will be on the job...????

regards worgeordie

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Of course its not his fault.  The blame lies solely with the owner of the boat,  He was fishing in the Ocean, how on earth was he supposed to know exactly where the limit of the national park was ?  that would be a set distance from the shoreline would it not ? GPS would be needed to establish the position precisely, but the captain of the boat would be all too aware that he was too close to the shore.

Fishing in the ocean is not like hunting big game on dry land, there is very little control over what kind of fish is going to take the bait 

If it wasn't for the surnames of the "government officials"  involved I doubt very much that the police or immigration would bother themselves with this matter which is really nothing more than virtue signalling by the usual "outraged netizens" whatever "netizens" actually means.  Is it even actually a word ? 

About netizens. No, it´s not a word, because living in the net is impossible if you are not a fish, that will say. But, then you might also, and easily get hooked on something.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The tourist reportedly checked out of his hotel in haste on Wednesday, after the picture of him with the fish went viral on social media. His whereabouts are currently unknown.

I anderstand his fear,, afraid to get executed for an innocent fishing trip.. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The tourist reportedly checked out of his hotel in haste on Wednesday, after the picture of him with the fish went viral on social media. His whereabouts are currently unknown.

I can't blame him.  The boat caption should be responsible for informing foreigners of the legality of the fish they catch.
Instead?
Lynch the dirty, evil foreigner. 

I hope he can make it out of Thailand as he is now the object of a witch-hunt.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pattjock said:

Technically the captain of the vessel is responsible for what is going on. If he took a tourist on an illegal fishing trip he is the culprit not the tourist just because he is a foreigner.

But the Thai authorities want foreigner blood. 
This is the essence of xenophobia. 

10 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Head line should be.

Search on for Thai fishing boat captain wanted for illegal fishing in southern marine park

What a joke they are.

Nah.  They want to hang the farang.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Richard1950 said:

As if Thais don't kill and eat anything that fly's, swims or walks anywhere on a daily basis.

Thailand is rapidly returning to the pits it crawled out of with this bunch of clowns in charge.

Anyone remember the tsunami. Falangs flocked to Thailand to help the economy recover, even after prices tripled overnight, they were happy enough to welcome falangs then. But the innate nature of the Thais soon kicked in - beg for help then mug the helper. They can't help it, if you save a snake it will still bite you. Problem for Thailand is people are wishing up and spending their money in Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, etc.

Don't forget the Police ripping off the tsunami relief fund. 

????

• Like 1

Amazing...but also pathetic!

Thailand takes care of the environment??? Is this a joke?

Lets see some facts of maritime environment here:

• Parrot fish - there is plenty in the seven seas, in fact there is so much that the fish is even wrongly sold under the Grouper name to catch more profit
  • And yes the Parrot fish is good for coral reefs; which is harm by greedy tourist business (especially by the so loved Chinese tourist, which crash the reefs with their feet and decorating it with their garbage) all under the watchful eyes of the Thai Tourist Ministry.
  • Lets face it there is NO Ëco-friendly Tourist business - Tourisms always hurts the environment around the world.  I should know working in this industry more than 50 years, especially in new development.
  • And last not least - what about the hordes of Thai's littering their parks and beaches for years?

So who is throwing the first stone...

• Like 1