Soi Dogs

The topic of Soi dogs has been well covered in the forums. There are compassionate movements to sterilize Soi dogs to reduce the out of control population. Regardless, some Soi dogs are a menace while traveling in rural Thailand. Most Soi dogs are harmless yet alpha males can pose a significant risk. While reading through the forums I found some useful advice. The only advice I have yet to explore is making friends with the dogs with positive routine behavior modification usually centered on feeding.

Here is what I have found to be of benefit: 1) show no fear but don't be stupid 2) don't antagonize an alpha by looking directly into his eyes, 3) raise your arms to shoulder height slowly to appear larger than you are, back away facing the dog or circumnavigate the dog(s) in an effort to not violate the dogs perceived turf, 4) if you see the photo I took this past week, I was able to get rid of these nasty alphas by pretending to have a slingshot while aiming and pulling on the imaginary bands in exaggerated manner directly toward the dogs. This has actually worked for me yet I don't fully trust this method yet. I have only tried it a few times successfully so it requires further proof. I don't feel it will work every time yet it may be worth trying. The reasons can be explained through a forum search.

If any dog experts can add to this topic it would be appreciated. 

P. S. Many Soi dogs like to hang out at Wats

Alpha Soi  C.jpg

"2) don't antagonize an alpha by looking directly into his eyes"

would be nice if they'd wear a alpha sign round their neck so it's obvious before eye contact.

Today i walked through Pratumnak park sois, probably 20 dogs on each path\soi, i carry a telescopic baton in a waist bag, it works well because it's available in a few seconds plus it's not visible so not an aggressive thing to carry like a stick.

Like today as i approach many dogs together, they look nervous, if appropriate i talk in a low non threatening voice and it calms them. So today i passes maybe 80+ dogs and not one issue.

For the real hostile dogs can also be young ones, best to report the specific dog so it's taken away.

The worst dogs in Pratumnak area i used to see are gone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No soi dogs are not harmless, they are all a potential health risk and traffic hazard. If I do go locally for a walk I don't want to try to be 'friends' with these pests. Packs of them hang about along the roads so I take an expanding metal batton. Any dog being aggressive gets shown it, any attacking gets a whack on the nose. Our local Wat has installed CCTV and put up signs warning people if they dump pets there is a 4k baht fine they will try to enforce. Even monks have had enough.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, grain said:

2) don't antagonize an alpha by looking directly into his eyes

I do the exact opposite. I stand there staring right at the filthy things, point my finger at them and talk to them in an aggressive voice..."come on fcka, come and have a go you filthy b*st*d and I'll kick your fckn head in." ...and then watch the filthy things slink away. That's what you do, you out-alpha the alpha.

Sounds like you're the guy who winds the dogs up before others walk by, thanks

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like you're the guy who winds the dogs up before others walk by, thanks

I use the same techniques one would deploy if facing a bear in the backwoods without a chemical repellant. I also carry a large purposed tool from Issan. I am uncertain of the spelling but phonetically it is called a kom faik. Would use it yet the slingshot ploy seems to make them run away quickly. 20220730_211212.thumb.JPG.888b0dbbe5be72b7a38c263fb4a22d7a.JPG

14 minutes ago, RayOday said:

I use the same techniques one would deploy if facing a bear in the backwoods without a chemical repellant. I also carry a large purposed tool from Issan. I am uncertain of the spelling but phonetically it is called a kom faik. Would use it yet the slingshot ploy seems to make them run away quickly. 20220730_211212.thumb.JPG.888b0dbbe5be72b7a38c263fb4a22d7a.JPG

Carrying a stick or that kom faik can trigger them, I've found a hidden baton is better

On 8/16/2022 at 3:03 PM, pgrahmm said:

I bicycle ride about 5-7 kilos almost every night.....I can encounter 5 to 20 dogs.....I buy dog treats from Lazada that I carry in my pocket.....On my route I run into the same ones.....

I've made some friends along the way = have 2 dogs I've taught tricks to & 1 Bangkeaw dog whose owner moved away and left with an empty house....If I see him I'll whistle & he'll follow me home and I'll feed him, brush him down, and chat with him for awhile.... He'll often sit on my lap when I sit on the front step & has jumped up in my arms for attention.....Then he goes back to guard "his" house, where he was abandoned.....

For the dogs that have proved aggressive - 2 - I just pass by because they will attack other dogs while I'm giving treats....After awhile the aggressive ones just started ignoring me.....

However, there is one dog the will chase and bite at my foot .... Treats didn't work, stopping & fronting didn't work, shouting didn't work....

I took a squirt bottle and filled with half half with water & lemon juice.....2 times he's attacked & 2 shots stinging in his eyes sends him cowering off about 20 feet away..... He's now afraid to approach..... I've used this on a couple of others & now I'm also on their ignore list....

Works a charm & educates them without touch or harm or being within snapping distance....

I imagine a 16oz coke bottle with a hole in the cap would squirt just as well and stop them in their tracks too.....

IMG20220816142845.jpg

IMG20220522184950.jpg

IMG20220522184900.jpg

That's an innovative approach. I do not like to hurt animals yet in a real conflict I have a new tool. I have gone local but higher tech. 20220816_191437.thumb.jpg.6d0ff52cc043ce2cfbe7a4ad6e2d49e9.jpg