Possible bank deposits are not insured here against theft

7 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

When you opened an account, you agreed to their terms and conditions, which say that it's your responsibility to prevent unauthorized access to your banking app.

You know these are the terms and conditions?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, banagan said:

I'd always assumed deposits were insured from theft.

If it's the bank's fault. For example, if your money was physically stolen from the bank's vault or the internal bank systems were hacked.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

I assume you phone was pin locked so they guessed the number of your pin lock and your userid and password for your banking app, assuming you didn't have those details written down on a piece of paper within the phone case

No, not written down. I'm wondering why the bank said I need to get a police report, which wasn't exactly straight forward... 3 different stations. Seems like a big waste of time. 

6 minutes ago, banagan said:

No, my wallet was stolen. 

It's easier to get money back to your ATM card because there are some protections by the payment network (Visa/Mastercard). They can do a "chargeback" pretty easily. In case of a compromised banking app, it's not so easy to get money back.

Edited by JoseThailand

9 minutes ago, banagan said:

No, not written down. I'm wondering why the bank said I need to get a police report, which wasn't exactly straight forward... 3 different stations. Seems like a big waste of time. 

Banks and insurance companies always asked for a police report there will always be a % that forwhatever reason will choose to not obtain a police report

Once they have a copy of the police report and will normally ask you questions some of the information will be in the police report then they made a decision to remiburse or not depending on their decision

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Banks and insurance companies always asked for a police report there will always be a % that forwhatever reason will choose to not obtain a police report

Once they have a copy of the police report and will normally ask you questions some of the information will be in the police report then they made a decision to remiburse or not depending on their decision

Well, fingers crossed. 

33 minutes ago, proton said:

Getting into the phone then the app seems very unlikely to say the least, unless very talented.

In Siam Commercial Bank, the app requests for a 6 digit password before each money transfer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, banagan said:

Could it of been someone you know? i.e. a thai girlfriend short of money.

To unlock a phone then put a pin for app in then perhaps again for new payees is i thought extremely unlikely maybe impossible.

Which bank was it? not easy to get money back just look at the Pattaya Kasikorn scam where a bogus manager set up a ponzi scheme in branch