Possible bank deposits are not insured here against theft

On 8/18/2022 at 10:40 AM, bradiston said:

In the UK the limit was recently lowered to £85k. I guess just open multiple accounts and spread it around. But what's the point? The banks pay fxxx all interest.

And particularly pointless, I think, if said multiple accounts are with the same bank since they will all be covered by a single guarantee limit in aggregate.

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

So you have changed the account password and still are getting money withdrawn from your account?

Does the app have a log where you can see all logins? Most apps have that now where you can see all the IP's that log into your account and are currently logged in with the ability to disconnect them, although usually bank apps (at least in my country) disconnect people from the app and require a re-login after a certain time period.

Yes, new phone, new install, new pin. Even with the same pin, the app is only supposed to be able to run on one device at a time. 

I haven't seen any ip/location logs on the app. I'm going to call the bank helpline again, see if they have it. 

On 8/18/2022 at 6:46 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe, as a general rule, Thai banking companies take the position that anything fraudulent that happens with your account--unless it's a hack of their system--is your responsibility up to the time you notify them of any problem.

The second and 3rd transfers were not made by my phone. I also have proof the 2nd one couldn't have been (21 seconds after I made a prompt pay transfer, literally impossible for me to do a second transfer in that timeframe)

The bank assured me that it's not possible to have their app running on 2 different devices... turns out they're wrong. 

On 8/17/2022 at 10:19 PM, banagan said:

Phone stolen, somehow got in, and enough taken. 

I'm just wondering, was your password your date of birth?  I know many banks set it as standard for you.  If they had your wallet they could easily get that from your driving license or other ID. 

26 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I'm just wondering, was your password your date of birth?  I know many banks set it as standard for you.  If they had your wallet they could easily get that from your driving license or other ID. 

The new pin was, maybe they found info on my phone, possibly line app. That said, it shouldn't matter, the app is only supposed to run on one phone the bank confirmed this. 

Hopefully I can get a result with the police, I asked if receiving stolen money is a crime, they said it was. They have the 3 different account details. 

The plot thickens! So, I was just talking with the bank. I asked what phone model was used for the stolen money last night.... it was my stolen phone. 

So, that's the smoking gun. They said it's not possible to have the bank app installed on 2 devices, as it obviously shouldn't. 

Pretty gaping security flaw! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, banagan said:

The plot thickens! So, I was just talking with the bank. I asked what phone model was used for the stolen money last night.... it was my stolen phone. 

So, that's the smoking gun. They said it's not possible to have the bank app installed on 2 devices, as it obviously shouldn't. 

Pretty gaping security flaw! 

So they've unlocked your stolen phone? Make and model doesn't mean much if it was, say, a Samsung Jx or other popular make/model. But didn't you change your banking app password after your phone was stolen and they got into your account the first time? Krungthai send me an SMS every time I log into my account. Maybe they've put a keylogger on your new one. If you've got a new mobile number as well, you've got your work cut out updating all your apps and institutions that use it. You did block the SIM, right?

8 minutes ago, bradiston said:

So they've unlocked your stolen phone? Make and model doesn't mean much if it was, say, a Samsung Jx or other popular make/model. But didn't you change your banking app password after your phone was stolen and they got into your account the first time? Krungthai send me an SMS every time I log into my account. Maybe they've put a keylogger on your new one. If you've got a new mobile number as well, you've got your work cut out updating all your apps and institutions that use it. You did block the SIM, right?

Yes. I went to my branch to cancel the app on the stolen phone and activate on my new phone. It's a process, you need passport, pin sent to mobile, signing copies of passport. 

The bank assured me that the app can only run on 1 phone. I did update my pin, but is was my dob, so I guess the thieves figured it out, think there's a copy of my passport on my phone. This is mute though, as the bank assured me that the app can only run on 1 authorized device. 

I get an email every time I log in. I checked, and got no email notification for the stolen money. 

So, a pretty big security hole with the bank. They should never have been able to access on another phone. I also believed what the bank was telling me, as I tried to use on another phone before, but it wasn't possible.

Hopefully the police can sort it out, I mean they have the name and account number of the person in receipt of stolen money.

If not, the bank needs to reimburse me.

33 minutes ago, banagan said:

Yes. I went to my branch to cancel the app on the stolen phone and activate on my new phone. It's a process, you need passport, pin sent to mobile, signing copies of passport. 

The bank assured me that the app can only run on 1 phone. I did update my pin, but is was my dob, so I guess the thieves figured it out, think there's a copy of my passport on my phone. This is mute though, as the bank assured me that the app can only run on 1 authorized device. 

I get an email every time I log in. I checked, and got no email notification for the stolen money. 

So, a pretty big security hole with the bank. They should never have been able to access on another phone. I also believed what the bank was telling me, as I tried to use on another phone before, but it wasn't possible.

Hopefully the police can sort it out, I mean they have the name and account number of the person in receipt of stolen money.

If not, the bank needs to reimburse me.

If they got your phone unlocked, all data on the phone would have been scrubbed. And I mean everything, apps,  contacts, emails, messaging, passwords, browsing data, the lot. So, how did they get into your bank account? You say you changed the password and bought a new phone and a new SIM and notified the bank, so your old phone and SIM should have been blocked. Something's not right here. Good luck getting your money back.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bradiston said:

If they got your phone unlocked, all data on the phone would have been scrubbed. And I mean everything, apps,  contacts, emails, messaging, passwords, browsing data, the lot. So, how did they get into your bank account? You say you changed the password and bought a new phone and a new SIM and notified the bank, so your old phone and SIM should have been blocked. Something's not right here. Good luck getting your money back.

I updated my bank app pin to my dob, date of birth. This shouldn't have been an issue, as they should never have been able to use the app, as the bank told me it can't be accessed on 2 phones. Especially as I had it canceled and installed on a new phone. 

When I use Google find my device, I used the "ERASE DEVICE" feature, which is supposed to erase all content. Maybe they copied stuff before I did that? 

On 8/18/2022 at 7:57 AM, CH1961 said:

So just name the payee to the police and case solved.

You would  think so wouldnt you but many of the payess are just stooges for the real recipient, they get paid a nominal sum to do this...Police disinterested claim they have too  many cases even when as the payee is  known they still dont go around and arrest them. Thats the reality

5 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

You would  think so wouldnt you but many of the payess are just stooges for the real recipient, they get paid a nominal sum to do this...Police disinterested claim they have too  many cases even when as the payee is  known they still dont go around and arrest them. Thats the reality

I asked the police if receiving stolen property/money here is a crime and they said it was, so there is that. Stolen money sent to their account, they should send it back. 

15 minutes ago, banagan said:

I asked the police if receiving stolen property/money here is a crime and they said it was, so there is that. Stolen money sent to their account, they should send it back. 

I think maybe a better solution to all your problems might be to secure your bank accounts, your phone, your property, indeed your existence here in Thailand. I'm not sure what world you're living in if you think someone who has taken money from your account should send it back? ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, peterfranks said:

You can't install the app on a new phone without committing to cancel the previous phone.

that doesn't make sense.

I lost my phone last year, bought new phone same day, got new sim from AIS, same number, then got banking apps installed, may have gone to the banks, can't remember, either way wasn't difficult, there was no "cancelling of previous phone" what ever that means

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

that doesn't make sense.

I lost my phone last year, bought new phone same day, got new sim from AIS, same number, then got banking apps installed, may have gone to the banks, can't remember, either way wasn't difficult, there was no "cancelling of previous phone" what ever that means

When I changed phone about a year ago, and wanted to install the banking apps on my phone, I got the message that it was currently activated on another phone and needed to revoke that one first.

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/digital-banking/kplus/help/Pages/all.html

If I change my mobile phone or my phone number, what should I do ?

Once you change your mobile phone or phone number, please follow the steps below.

• In case you change your mobile phone but use the same SIM, after you have installed the K PLUS application and logged in to the system for the first time, you will be taken to the device chanaging step. Enter your account/debit card number, national ID card/passport number and the existing PIN. If the information is correct, you can use the service immediately.
Edited by peterfranks

3 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

When I changed phone about a year ago, and wanted to install the banking apps on my phone, I got the message that it was currently activated on another phone and needed to revoke that one first.

so presumably you went into the branch and they set up the apps, which is what the op did

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

so presumably you went into the branch and they set up the apps, which is what the op did

Don't presume too  much. I didn't went into the branch.

And the point is that once you have changed device, the app will not work anymore on the previous device, regardless of who set it up

Once you change your mobile phone or phone number, please follow the steps below.

• In case you change your mobile phone but use the same SIM, after you have installed the K PLUS application and logged in to the system for the first time, you will be taken to the device chanaging step. Enter your account/debit card number, national ID card/passport number and the existing PIN. If the information is correct, you can use the service immediately.
  • In case of changing a new mobile number, you can do it by yourself through the K PLUS app. Enter K PLUS with 3G/4G/5G, if the current mobile number using in this device does not the number registered with K PLUS. Select change new mobile number , enter your PIN and scan your face for identity verification. Only then you are able to change to a new number without having to cancel the service or going to branch.
  • See how to change mobile number
  • In case of unsuccessful change of new mobile number through the app. You have to bring your ID card to K-ATM that have K CHECK ID sign or K Check ID machine to verify your identity.
Edited by peterfranks

4 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Don't presume too  much. I didn't went into the branch.

And the point is that once you have changed device, the app will not work anymore on the previous device, regardless of who set it up

• In case of changing a new mobile number, you can do it by yourself through the K PLUS app. Enter K PLUS with 3G/4G/5G, if the current mobile number using in this device does not the number registered with K PLUS. Select change new mobile number , enter your PIN and scan your face for identity verification. Only then you are able to change to a new number without having to cancel the service or going to branch.
  • See how to change mobile number
  • In case of unsuccessful change of new mobile number through the app. You have to bring your ID card to K-ATM that have K CHECK ID sign or K Check ID machine to verify your identity.

If you didn't go into the branch how did you "revoke" the old phone?

On 8/25/2022 at 5:10 PM, scubascuba3 said:

If you didn't go into the branch how did you "revoke" the old phone?

In case you change your mobile phone but use the same SIM, after you have installed the K PLUS application and logged in to the system for the first time, you will be taken to the device chanaging step. Enter your account/debit card number, national ID card/passport number and the existing PIN. If the information is correct, you can use the service immediately.

7 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Maybe try to read for a change

In case you change your mobile phone but use the same SIM, after you have installed the K PLUS application and logged in to the system for the first time, you will be taken to the device chanaging step. Enter your account/debit card number, national ID card/passport number and the existing PIN. If the information is correct, you can use the service immediately.

their English is as good as yours 555, or branch would have done the same thing

On 8/25/2022 at 5:20 PM, scubascuba3 said:

their English is as good as yours 555, or branch would have done the same thing

Yes branch could have done the same thing, but the point is that once it is done, the app can not be used any more on the previous device.

And the OP claims they are still withdrawing on the old device, after the change was made