Possible bank deposits are not insured here against theft

3 hours ago, dutchman said:

i got scamed by withraws 3 x a small amount. the next morning again a withraw 3 x a small amount.

Go to the kasikorn bank and they refund it all.

In my opinion the banks were hacked a while a go and the Bankok Post made an article about it.

They hacked all ATM cards with the passwords i think because they asked me where is your atm card?

I never ever used my atm card so i revoked my ATM card.

Other bank account i did not even have a ATM card and nothing happened.

A friend of mine with ATM card at that bank got scammed too and also was the big question where is your ATM card.

My friend  revoked the ATM card also and nothing happened yet

They ask you "where is your ATM card ?" Because that was the way you both lost money. Perhaps by someone who new your ATM password and either your actual card or duplicated card. 
You ATM card password is not visible to bank employees. If money lost from your account bank can see the way that was taken from the account. 

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

They can not unlock a phone, but they can just erase all data for a new user. 

Can they do that without logging in? Factory reset through the back door? Fried chips? They'd have to erase everything surely, as it would all be encrypted, and then install a mod. Hardware wipe?

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Can they do that without logging in? Factory reset through the back door? Fried chips? They'd have to erase everything surely, as it would all be encrypted, and then install a mod. Hardware wipe?

It's just a factory reset so all data gone, that's why having a SD card in the phone is a risk, that data is accessible easily unless it's encrypted which is unlikely

Edited by scubascuba3

14 hours ago, banagan said:

I'm wondering why the bank said I need to get a police report, which wasn't exactly straight forward... 3 different stations. Seems like a big waste of time. 

Police report is required for bank investigation. And then if investigation reveals that you actually had something to do with the crime or someone close to you then bank can take actions against you for false report, fraud or close your all accounts. 

12 minutes ago, bradiston said:

They do reset phones to factory condition without damaging phones.  
reset a phone to factory condition requires deleting all data, encrypted or not encrypted (no need to login, just like a computer hard drive). 

3 hours ago, The Theory said:

They do reset phones to factory condition without damaging phones.  
reset a phone to factory condition requires deleting all data, encrypted or not encrypted (no need to login, just like a computer hard drive). 

I don't think it's just like replacing a hard drive, but maybe you're right. Do they just zap/replace the ROM? If I took a locked phone to tuk com, you think they could make it usable again? Easy to find out I guess.

14 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Never do any banking on your phone , you see now what can happen. 

I Always use the laptop at home . I know that can be Hacked too but it's a bit safer then the phone.

Almost everyone I know in Thailand uses mobile phone banking!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

I Always use the laptop at home . I know that can be Hacked too but it's a bit safer then the phone.

Banking on phones is fine, just don't let anyone have your password for phone or apps

• Like 2

19 hours ago, banagan said:

I'd always assumed deposits were insured from theft.

The Thai government's bank deposits insurance/protection law ONLY covers amounts up to 1 million per depositer per banking company.

AND, it only protects in the event of the financial failure/bankruptcy of the bank -- not in any way against criminal conduct by bank employees or other fraudulent access to one's account.

The banking rules/consumer protection laws are not the same here as in some people's home countries.

Theft and fraud issues normally become the purvue of the Thai police and their investigation and findings... and the outcomes in those processes can be all over the map.

I believe, as a general rule, Thai banking companies take the position that anything fraudulent that happens with your account--unless it's a hack of their system--is your responsibility up to the time you notify them of any problem.

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

You may review that claim, since banking on the phone is much more secure than on a PC, and less prone to hacks as well

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

I don't think it's just like replacing a hard drive, but maybe you're right. Do they just zap/replace the ROM? If I took a locked phone to tuk com, you think they could make it usable again? Easy to find out I guess.

I did not mean replacing anything. 
It will be done by connecting the phone to some software and just remove it all, but the operating system. No changes about hardware. 
Computers are about the same. Format the hard drive and then there will be a new computer, all files will be gone + viruses and malware files. 

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

It will be done by connecting the phone to some software and just remove it all, but the operating system. No changes about hardware. 
Computers are about the same. Format the hard drive and then there will be a new computer, all files will be gone + viruses and malware files. 

But everything's encrypted, and I'm pretty sure you'll not get access like that. It won't connect to anything. It'll just ask you for the password. It's not like Windows. As I said before, try taking an old phone down to tuk com. I'm going to.

5 hours ago, The Theory said:

I saved myself the trouble of visiting tuk com, and googled what to do if you forget your password. So yes, you can get the phone back into working order but with no data, and no apps. Not a problem as you'll be backed up normally by Google, so you'll need your Google user ID and password. Plus other stuff in certain circumstances. So there is no way these guys could have got into his phone and thus his bank, without cracking his phone's password and then his banking app password. If there's software to do that, crack those passwords, I'm not sure how long it would take, nor anything about how the software operates. For petty phone theft it doesn't seem feasible, but I guess for large scale thievery it could be. I guess for well qualified hackers it would be a p o p. But worth it? Hard to say. And in the end, if you've got his banking app login details, why not just download the banking app and log in from there. No need to use his locked phone at all.

Edited by bradiston

On 8/18/2022 at 2:01 AM, digger70 said:

According to the the cyber experts it is safer to use mobile banking than laptop. 

26 minutes ago, chuang said:

According to the the cyber experts it is safer to use mobile banking than laptop. 

Well only used a home desk top Pc for years for banking, never had an issue, Thailand or intentional transactions. but do get pass codes via a mobile phone

Funny how this thread is about a phone app compromised and money from bank missing.

Cant recall reading about a home desk top pc compromised and money gone from bank story.

Think i will stick with what works for me. :jap:

Edited by Orinoco

Ok, update on this... And I'm pretty livid... Another sizeable sum stolen last night! 

This is 100% an issue with the security of their app.

The first amount stolen, was from MY phone... not scan, but account number transfer, which I never use. This was someone who must have seen me use my pin, and use my phone when I wasn't looking (it was charging in a bar, dumb, but there you go)

After that, I've used a new phone, and obviously a new download of the app. The bank confirmed, you can only have the bank app running on 1 phone. 

The second amount stolen, was again, transfer with account number... This was made 21 seconds after I used prompt pay (phone number) to pay a friend. 
It is physically impossible for me to send 2 payments in 21 seconds... go back to home screen, choose bank, add ac number etc... 

Anyway, I changed my PIN again and another ammount taken out last night! 

I have already gotten police reports for the first 2 theft... And have talked with my bank. 

I've just come back from the police station, I'm getting used to the process... and they gave me a different looking report, to give to my bank to investigate further. 

The 3 recipients are all different, but all the same bank. 

The first time I made a report, in the old town, they printed out the recipient, showed me a pic, no idea who it was, and rang them... said they didn't pick up ????

Anyway, I'm fed up at this point and want to get this resolved. 

Even if the police can't do anything, 2 of the 3 transactions were not from my phone, which, according to the bank is imposible... The phone was stolen, but as I said, you should only be able to use your bank app on 1 phone. 

On 8/19/2022 at 7:02 AM, dj230 said:

can they not see where the money was sent? 

how much was it?

I guess that's one perks of using an iPhone, this stuff can't happen to you 

Yes, first report, police showed me a pic of the guy, rang him and said he never answered. I didn't pursue, as I thought the police report would be enough to get reimbursed by my bank. 

17 minutes ago, banagan said:

Ok, update on this... And I'm pretty livid... Another sizeable sum stolen last night! 

The first amount stolen, was from MY phone... not scan, but account number transfer, which I never use. This was someone who must have seen me use my pin, and use my phone when I wasn't looking (it was charging in a bar, dumb, but there you go)

After that, I've used a new phone, and obviously a new download of the app. The bank confirmed, you can only have the bank app running on 1 phone. 

The second amount stolen, was again, transfer with account number... This was made 21 seconds after I used prompt pay (phone number) to pay a friend. 
It is physically impossible for me to send 2 payments in 21 seconds... go back to home screen, choose bank, add ac number etc... 

I have already gotten police reports for the first 2 theft... And have talked with my bank. 

I've just come back from the police station, I'm getting used to the process... and they gave me a different looking report, to give to my bank to investigate further. 

The first time I made a report, in the old town, they printed out the recipient, showed me a pic, no idea who it was, and rang them... said they didn't pick up ????

Even if the police can't do anything, 2 of the 3 transactions were not from my phone, which, according to the bank is imposible... The phone was stolen, but as I said, you should only be able to use your bank app on 1 phone. 

So you have changed the account password and still are getting money withdrawn from your account?

Does the app have a log where you can see all logins? Most apps have that now where you can see all the IP's that log into your account and are currently logged in with the ability to disconnect them, although usually bank apps (at least in my country) disconnect people from the app and require a re-login after a certain time period.

31 minutes ago, banagan said:

You should have closed your account already and set up a new one, banks usually freeze the account if there's fraud going on. Sensible to have more than one bank so you can switch over easy