20,000 baht on arrival requirement

12 hours ago, JDangle said:

good conversation, thanks for the various insights...

I'm gonna go ahead and bring the cash. It's not a big deal, I'm just not used to carrying cash these days.

always good to have a chunk of cash as a fallback. the risk of robbery is very, very small despite what the chuckleheads would have you believe ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I've never been asked either. doesn't mean it never happens.

Quite so, but given the VAST majority of responses on this thread, I think we may conclude it to be a VERY rare occurrence. 

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

that doesn't answer the OP's question though does it? 

As close as it's possible to give a definitive answer considering it IS a rule but one that's not USUALLY enforced.

If the OP is particularly nervous, he can just carry the cash for his own peace of mind.

It's not exactly a fortune after all and doesn't have to be in Baht - can be the equivalent in USD (as the OP said) or UKP, Euro etc.

Edited by VBF

6 hours ago, VBF said:

As close as it's possible to give a definitive answer considering it IS a rule but one that's not USUALLY enforced.

If the OP is particularly nervous, he can just carry the cash for his own peace of mind.

It's not exactly a fortune after all and doesn't have to be in Baht - can be the equivalent in USD (as the OP said) or UKP, Euro etc.

thanks but I know all of that and it was covered earlier in the thread.

On 8/18/2022 at 11:38 PM, Sparktrader said:

Never seen it. Just a law that is rarely used.

It was relatively frequent thread subject matter pre-Covid. We had spurious new members allegedly posting from some holding facility while their AirAsia rep formalized the 'deportation' paperwork. Mostly seemed to be at DMK when immigration started randomly enforcing the somewhat nebulous mandates on how many times one could claim to be a legit tourist in a year. Most of these 'tourists' or visa-exempt airport hoppers were outraged that the 'no proof of income' was being cited by immigration despite being shown condo rental agreements, car keys, bank books, local bank ATM cards, etc.. The lack of funds was an easy, catch-all excuse that covered the more difficult to prove (but more likely) 'suspected of working illegally' exclusion.

Also note that nowadays there's a broader (yet unspoken) acceptance of digital nomads who were also swept up in these somewhat irrational and over zealous border protections.

But as noted by a few who do visit regularly, they still keep the 20 k cash (or equivalent) handy, just in case.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

I think the 20k cash is only asked for when there are other issues, such as multiple entries within short time frame without a visa, and then they use it as a reason to not let you in.

Happened to me ????

Edited by stoicccc

On 8/18/2022 at 11:39 PM, EricTh said:

It can be a bank statement if the money is in a Thai bank and the balance updated on the application date showing at least 20,000 baht

Totally wrong. It must be in CASH of one denomination or another, depending on the exchange rate. A bank book, statement or credit card is no good. Don't ask me why, TIT. 

The OP was not talking about applying for anything, simply entering the country.

As others say, they have never had it or seen it being used, but the IO could refuse entry if he did not like your looks and needed an excuse to deny entry.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:56 AM, Lemsta69 said:

that doesn't answer the OP's question though does it? 

You said that and I answered it succinctly and as completely as anyone could

You therefore appear to be either intentionally dense, or you're baiting or both.

Have a nice day.

Edited by VBF

You are making problems where there are non. Bring the CASH equivalent  of 20k baht.  In mixed denominations. Can you spend a bank statement? Why would you carry one with you? Bring money.

Change a minimum amount  at the airport to cover taxis etc.

Yes the taxis outside the airport are safe to use.

Yes they  do use a metre + 50 baht.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Totally wrong. It must be in CASH of one denomination or another, depending on the exchange rate. A bank book, statement or credit card is no good. Don't ask me why, TIT. 

The OP was not talking about applying for anything, simply entering the country.

As others say, they have never had it or seen it being used, but the IO could refuse entry if he did not like your looks and needed an excuse to deny entry.

Why must it be cash? Isn't money in a Thai bank not money?