Where Recommend Hearing Loss Consultation /Treatment

OneZero

The current thread on Cataract Surgery has been very informative /worthwhile for me.

So, I am asking the audience for similar experiences dealing with hearing loss /treatment.

I am inclined to use either Sriphat or Bangkok Hospital ChiangMai (BHC).  

Sriphat location is more convenient for me but BHC helps administrative billing with TRICARE.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

And across the street and West a couple of blocks from Sriphat OPD: 

DEAR HEARING CENTER

No. 203 Suthep Road
Suthep Subdistrict, Mueang District
Chiang Mai Province 50200

Tel : 053-904-082
Email : [email protected]

• Like 1

23 hours ago, drtreelove said:

And across the street and West a couple of blocks from Sriphat OPD: 

DEAR HEARING CENTER

No. 203 Suthep Road
Suthep Subdistrict, Mueang District
Chiang Mai Province 50200

Tel : 053-904-082
Email : [email protected]

Does this shop carry and service nationally-known brands of hearing aids, or only their own store brand?  I've found that to be the case in every shop I tried, since the place in Panthip Plaza closed.  I had to buy online, get the adjustment software and learn how to fit my hearing aids (there are companies that provide this service,) and for the past several years have been doing all my own adjustments. It ain't rocket science.

7 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Does this shop carry and service nationally-known brands of hearing aids, or only their own store brand?  I've found that to be the case in every shop I tried, since the place in Panthip Plaza closed.  I had to buy online, get the adjustment software and learn how to fit my hearing aids (there are companies that provide this service,) and for the past several years have been doing all my own adjustments. It ain't rocket science.

Folk Guitar,

Is Sriphat not a "One Stop" point of service for such support? 

Do Sriphat patients find it necessary or beneficial to go to outside shops or online for hearing aids (& their software if needed)?

If that is the case, I'm wondering what kind of service is available at BHC (Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai).

2 hours ago, OneZero said:

Folk Guitar,

Is Sriphat not a "One Stop" point of service for such support? 

Do Sriphat patients find it necessary or beneficial to go to outside shops or online for hearing aids (& their software if needed)?

If that is the case, I'm wondering what kind of service is available at BHC (Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai).

Sorry, but I can't answer that. My connection with Sriphat for audiology service was only for a comprehensive hearing test, not buying hearing aids. I don't know if they sell them, or recommend someplace in town.

If I had found a place here in Chiang Mai that sold nationally-recognized brands, I may have bought here in town. All of them had posters and other advertising for name brands on the walls of their shops, but didn't sell them, and only sold their store brand. Perhaps things are different now. As it was, I bought online, and will do so again when I need new ones. I've been dealing with this ( https://hearsource.com) company for over 20 years with no complaints, either buying, repairing, or having them spend 90 minutes online WITH me, at now extra cost, teaching me how to use to use the fitting software so I can now adjust my own in the comfort of my home.

Personally, as hearing aids often need to be adjusted once or twice a year, and one has to pay each time, I prefer to be able to do my own adjusting while wearing the devices so I can adjust and correct the sound rather than trying to tell the audiologist that it now 'sounds like a fork got stuck in a garbage disposal' or music sounds 'bad,' and hope the audiologist; A- speaks enough English to know what I'm saying, or B- knows what "I" actually mean when I say "bad."  If you have questions about this (self-adjustment software) feel free to message me. I'll be happy to help.

Hearing aids 'can' be a wonderful, life-changing investment. It really pays to get exactly what you need, in terms of device abilities, controls, and sound output, and don't expect that if you go for the very low end units that the sound will be natural. That takes some money... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

.............. If I had found a place here in Chiang Mai that sold nationally-recognized brands, I may have bought here in town. All of them had posters and other advertising for name brands on the walls of their shops, but didn't sell them, and only sold their store brand.Perhaps things are different now...

I went looking around today, and found two shops that would 'special order'  Starkey and ReSound brands (two leaders in the market,) but would not offer the same factory 4-year warrantee, only 6 month, and could not provide repair services.  So, I was incorrect. Recognized name brands ARE available in Chiang Mai, but...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I went looking around today, and found two shops that would 'special order'  Starkey and ReSound brands (two leaders in the market,) but would not offer the same factory 4-year warrantee, only 6 month, and could not provide repair services.  So, I was incorrect. Recognized name brands ARE available in Chiang Mai, but...

Audimed in Bangkok and Chang Mai have Starkey hearing aids. Do you mean they would not provide repair services? So if I buy a Starkey hearing aid in Europe and it breaks down in Thailand I'm in a spot.

4 hours ago, JackGats said:

Audimed in Bangkok and Chang Mai have Starkey hearing aids. Do you mean they would not provide repair services? So if I buy a Starkey hearing aid in Europe and it breaks down in Thailand I'm in a spot.

One of the shops I visited today was Audiomed. They told me that they would have to special order Starkey.  That means one would not be able to listen to the voice quality of the different models before buying, and that voice quality really does change from model to model.

Thank you Folk Guitar,

Yours is exactly the type of experience I was looking for. 

Information like this is indeed a time, trouble and money saver.

You're welcome. If you have other questions, just message me.

There is so much misleading info out there, much of it put forth by audiologists who need clients to be chained to their services in order to make a living. A lot of it just isn't true. You CAN adjust your own hearing aids without having to go to Audio school for 4 years, but the audiologists tell you that you can't. They won't even sell you a copy of the adjustment (fitting) software. But many of today's hearing aids can be adjusted with a Smartphone... if... the audiologist will teach you how. But then, they don't make any money when you come back to have an adjustment.  If you plug into some of the audiology forums, you can read what different audiologists are saying about these new self-adjustable hearing aids. They ain't happy.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

But then, they don't make any money when you come back to have an adjustment.  If you plug into some of the audiology forums, you can read what different audiologists are saying about these new self-adjustable hearing aids. They ain't happy.

Can't you do everything with the app (after downloading it from Google Play)? I mean even the initial tuning? 

If you buy a top (expensive) brand, isn't the sound quality guaranteed to be top-notch? I wouldn't know the difference because I'll be wearing hearing aids for the first time.

Note that in some countries where adjustments at regular intervals are included in the purchase price, audiologists might be happy about the app as it would save them some work.

Edited by JackGats

12 hours ago, JackGats said:

1. Can't you do everything with the app (after downloading it from Google Play)? I mean even the initial tuning? 

2. If you buy a top (expensive) brand, isn't the sound quality guaranteed to be top-notch? I wouldn't know the difference because I'll be wearing hearing aids for the first time.

3. Note that in some countries where adjustments at regular intervals are included in the purchase price, audiologists might be happy about the app as it would save them some work.

1. Sorry, I don't know. I have never seen it in use. But modern hearing instruments are being designed with user friendliness involved. The fitting software that audiologists use to adjust the hearing aids simply isn't that complex, and could easily be put in phone app size.  It's actually much easier for the user to get the correct fitting as they no longer have to 'translate' their hearing into words the audiologist can understand regarding the quality of sound. The user can be listening to, for example, music, and adjust the sliders back and forth until they 'hear' exactly what they want, rather than saying; 'No... too much... take it down a little.... no that was not enough... take it down just a little more.... hmmmmm.... almost, but can you get rid of the snarly sound?  (if you are controlling the adjustments yourself, you avoid all of that, and get it exactly to you liking!)

2. Yes and no.  Which do you prefer; heavy bass, light bass, heavy mid-range, heavy treble, etc.,?  Of course, each of these can be modified... a bit. Each model of every brand has a slightly different sound quality. Although the higher priced models will have 'better' sound quality, is it the particular range that 'you' wish to hear?

3. Sure.... they love to have their incomes cut by modern technologies. I've never had to wait for a queue number in an audiology office or hearing aid shop. 

• Like 2

1. Sorry, I don't know. I have never seen it in use. But modern hearing instruments are being designed with user friendliness involved. The fitting software that audiologists use to adjust the hearing aids simply isn't that complex, and could easily be put in phone app size.  It's actually much easier for the user to get the correct fitting as they no longer have to 'translate' their hearing into words the audiologist can understand regarding the quality of sound. The user can be listening to, for example, music, and adjust the sliders back and forth until they 'hear' exactly what they want, rather than saying; 'No... too much... take it down a little.... no that was not enough... take it down just a little more.... hmmmmm.... almost, but can you get rid of the snarly sound?  (if you are controlling the adjustments yourself, you avoid all of that, and get it exactly to you liking!)

2. Yes and no.  Which do you prefer; heavy bass, light bass, heavy mid-range, heavy treble, etc.,?  Of course, each of these can be modified... a bit. Each model of every brand has a slightly different sound quality. Although the higher priced models will have 'better' sound quality, is it the particular range that 'you' wish to hear?

3. Sure.... they love to have their incomes cut by modern technologies. I've never had to wait for a queue number in an audiology office or hearing aid shop. 

Thanks again Folk Guitar,

My interpretation of your experience leads me to believe that my initial task is to get an appointment with an audiologist (e.g., like at Sriphat) for their sound test and advice / recommendation. 

My second task would be to obtain the latest modern technology hearing aid myself (online, local store, etc TBD), with an emphasis on getting one that is user friendly so that I can personally adjust it myself. 

Am I thinking correctly on this? 

If so, I will probably indeed be accepting your offer Folk Guitar, ie contact you personally as to your recommendation ref where /how to best purchase such a device.

BTW, an added thought ref anyone thinking of insurance assisting with purchase of the device itself. 

(I'm not sure if my insurance (TRICARE) would cover the physical device itself).  But, any insurer would most likely require full receipt documentation to include at least the following in English:

Patient / Purchaser's full name, the Company providing the device, an exact Technical /Nomenclature description of the specific device and its Cost (plus probably a copy of the audiologist's recommendation of the need for the device).

5 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Yeah. I even have doubts about the audiometric test performed by the ENT. After the test started in the soundproof cubicle, the nurse opened the door to tell me "you should press the button as soon as you hear the sound, not wait until you hear it distinctly". I thought what? why wasn't I told earlier? So I am not even certain my frequency graph is accurate.

Anything you can do on your own for yourself is better than relying on other people.

Edited by JackGats

.....My second task would be to obtain the latest modern technology hearing aid myself (online, local store, etc TBD), with an emphasis on getting one that is user friendly so that I can personally adjust it myself....

As noted by FG, all the top-end hearing aids come with an app you can download to your smart phone and you can adjust several things from there.  My aids are Phonak and I occasionally use the app (which connects to your hearing aids via bluetooth) to raise the volume in one ear.  I rarely adjust other things (like level of background noise, setting the equalizer for different frequencies, etc.) but play with those parameters on occasion.

Hearing aids today are so much better than 10+ years ago but, in my view, their biggest handicap is that they increase all noise (speech and background noise) levels. Give we're in Thailand where it seems nobody cares about noise levels, that can be a problem depending on where you are (e.g., you'll eventually get the drift of what restaurants to avoid due to horrible accoustics). 

But, for me, the absolute best things about the new bluetooth aids are (1) actually clearly hearing on the phone even in noisy environments and (2) using the tv bluetooth gadget (my neighbors appreciate that as the sound level in the room is near zero whereas I clearly hear all dialogue in my aids).  You can also use the bluetooth feature to stream sound to and from your computer, tablet or whatever item has bluetooth capability.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OneZero said:

Thanks again Folk Guitar,

My interpretation of your experience leads me to believe that my initial task is to get an appointment with an audiologist (e.g., like at Sriphat) for their sound test and advice / recommendation. 

My second task would be to obtain the latest modern technology hearing aid myself (online, local store, etc TBD), with an emphasis on getting one that is user friendly so that I can personally adjust it myself. 

Am I thinking correctly on this? 

If so, I will probably indeed be accepting your offer Folk Guitar, ie contact you personally as to your recommendation ref where /how to best purchase such a device.

Yes, you most certainly are thinking correctly! One thing you may like to do is take notice of the various 'options' that the different brands and models offer. Question them. Will you really need the telecoil if you don't live/move in an area where the theaters and halls are equipped for telecoil? You do have to pay extra for it, but if you basically don't need it, why include it? Most better brands offer 3-5 programmable programs. How many do YOU need?  I use one for 'normal, everyday walking around.' I use another in noisy restaurants when I want to have a directional mic pointing at the person sitting opposite me so as to reduce the sound of the people at tables behind and beside me. I have a third program that I set to ZERO sound. Ear Plugs. I use that when I'm on the motorcycle or in very noisy places. I never use my 4th program.

One thing most people don't realize is that the guts of these major name brands are all made in the same few factories. One factory for everybody's microphones, another factory for everybody's speakers, another factory cranks out the ear domes, etc., etc., and the Brand Name assembles them... or they buy assembled components and just snap 'em together with their brand name on them!

However, sticking with one of the name brands is a great way to go. Finding a reliable source online 'can' save you a considerable amount of money. The really better hearing aids generally start around $2500-$4500 each, but find the right place and you can cut a thousand off the price. Personally, I use a place in Indiana called Hearsource  (www.hearsource.com)  They carry Widex and ReSound, as well as  lower end models. Great for buying, great customer service, great repair when needed service (I've only needed twice in 20 years)

Good luck in your search. Getting good hearing back feels nice...

• Like 1

A friend just asked me, offline, 'why' I used the third program as 'ear plugs' vs just turning off the hearing aid or turning down the volume to zero.

Most hearing aids don't have an on/off switch.

'Some' have a volume control switch... but not all.

Most common today is to see a volume button or rocker, and a program pushbutton. It's faster and easier to just press the button to change program then multiple presses of the volume rocker.

Simple as that.  ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JackGats said:

Yeah. I even have doubts about the audiometric test performed by the ENT. After the test started in the soundproof cubicle, the nurse opened the door to tell me "you should press the button as soon as you hear the sound, not wait until you hear it distinctly". I thought what? why wasn't I told earlier? So I am not even certain my frequency graph is accurate.

Anything you can do on your own for yourself is better than relying on other people.

I've been giving this some thought...  This is just my opinion....

Assuming your audiometric test did not reveal an unknown physical problem, and your concern is only the accuracy of the hearing results, I'd say don't worry.

The test just takes several minutes and actually, even with a total soundproof room still relies upon the user to respond to EVERY tone played for accuracy. Missing a bunch still gives enough of an overview of one's hearing; moderate loss, severe loss, profound loss, etc., and the corresponding numbers on a chart.  The audiologist (or self ) takes those numbers and plugs them into the hearing aid. That's called... a good place to START fitting the device. Every one of those numbers is going to get tweaked, and tweaked again as you fit your hearing aids and adjust them to your liking. The audiogram is just a handy reference place with which to start. Don't worry if yours is off. You can quickly and easily adjust for it when you're fitting your hearing aids. 

BTW.... 'fitting,' in audiologistspeak means 'adjusting the various settings to get the most desirable sound quality.

• Like 1

Just sharing my experience today Sat 03Sep22 at DEAR HEARING CENTER, 203 Suthep Road.  FYI it's located opposite the CMU School of Pharmacy, hours 0900-1800, closed Sunday.  The audio test was 400 Baht with immediate service.  My guess is Sriphat would have costed more (weight, blood pressure, pulse, etc) & been an unknown wait to see the doctor.

I was initially expecting to see some white frocked individuals pretending to be doctors (like in those eye glass stores) but that was not the case.  I'm not an experienced judge of audio folks expertise but I was impressed with the staff professionalism /apparent knowledge, and without trying to push a hard sell.

We discussed what I had learned from the posters to this thread (programable device, blue tooth, etc etc) and physically tried the different priced models. They had 4 rechargeable models (non-rechargeable a bit cheaper) priced per hearing aid (ie, one ear) baht 45K, 65K, 95K & 145K depending on the number of program channels it had.

Based upon my audio test and trying the different models we agree that the 65K model was fine for me.  There was agreement not to buy a higher priced unnecessary model.  Being a newbie & based upon all of the above I decided to make the purchase from them, rather than invent my own wheels purchasing something by myself on the internet (internet could be an option for someone more experienced). 

I also decided to spend an extra 16K for a device to fit to a TV sending a signal /sound directly to the hearing aid. So, I hopefully won't blow out anymore TV speakers.  That brought my total cost up to 81K Baht: One ear Hearing Aid (65K) & one TV Device (16K).

Also, for anyone covered by TRICARE (US military retiree health insurance), TRICARE will NOT reimburse for a retiree's hearing aid(s).  I would guess that VA might cover hearing aids, but suspect only if upon the physical exam given when exiting service there was a VA Dr Approved Service Connected hearing Disability noted. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I wear hearing aids and have for several years.  Of all the brands Phonak is the best.  Unfortunately there is only one Phonak dealer in Thailand and that is in Bangkok and I can not reccomend that shop.  

I ended up ordering a new pair of P90 from England for about $1,000 USD total which is substantially cheaper than you can get them here in Thailand for.  The problem you will have is getting them programmed.  

I ended up taking a vacation and brought the hearing aids with me to get programmed.  They are wonderful.  Rechargeable and they significantly reduce any background and wind noise.  This is my third set of Phonaks and I have yet to have any service on them.  That is one of the major differences.  Many of the brands have a tendency to need repairs which is both expensive and a nuisance. 

I don't know if you get to Singapore but there are some Phonak dealers there or you can alternatively buy the hearing aids online, and then mail them to a dealer with a local audiogram who will program them for you.  A nuisance but that is what I found out about buying hearing aids in Thailand. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

1.  I wear hearing aids and have for several years. 

2. The problem you will have is getting them programmed. 
I ended up taking a vacation and brought the hearing aids with me to get programmed. 

3.  This is my third set of Phonaks

1. and 3.  May I ask why you needed three sets of hearing aids in just several years? 

I've been wearing hearing aids in both ears for almost 30 years, and am still going strong on my third pair, only changing as I needed stronger devices.

2. This no longer needs to be a problem. If you buy your hearing devices from the right source, they will also sell you the programming software to go with it. In fact, my software is made for 5 different name brands, so I guess it's pretty common. It took less than 90 minutes for the company to teach me, while on the phone with me and seated in front of my own computer, to learn to program my own hearing aids EXACTLY to my liking, as I don't have to try to explain what something sounds like... I just listen, move the correct slider, listen again, move the slider a little bit more... etc., etc., for all the various frequencies we hear throughout our normal day. Tap a glass with a knife? Oh! Too tinny, move the slider. Strum a G chord on a guitar.... Oh, not enough bass... move the slider so that it is EXACTLY where it needs to be because YOU are controlling the slider, and not where an audiologist 'thinks' it should be because of a number on an audiogram.

It is remarkably easy to program and fit your own hearing aids in the comfort of your own room. No longer need to try to find an audiologist who carries your brand.

• Like 1

1. and 3.  May I ask why you needed three sets of hearing aids in just several years? 

I've been wearing hearing aids in both ears for almost 30 years, and am still going strong on my third pair, only changing as I needed stronger devices.

I have been wearing hearing aids since 2008.  My first set was the typical battery 312.  They were fine, however I tried a set of the newer models that had rechargeable batteries and I was sold on them.  That was in 2016.  The sound quality was noticeably better and the convenience of just putting them in the charger at night and using them all day was fabulous.  In late 2021 the hearing aid on the left was starting to run out of power before then end of the day.  That is when I checked into getting the battery replaced in Bangkok and lets just say that the price was more than I was willing to pay.  After checking options to send it to the USA and having it programmed, I talked to an audiologist who said for about $500 more, I could get two new hearing aids, the top model and that the new technology was vastly improved again. 

I purchased the hearing aids, and yes they do have a program that allows you to adjust the hearing aids but as I understand it not to the degree that an audiologist can.  Maybe true, maybe not. One way or another for $1,000 I got two brand new hearing aids, the Phonak P90 and for $50 I got them programmed while vacationing out of Thailand.  The audiologist was correct.  The sound quality is even better than my set from just 6 years ago.  I now hear no wind noise at all, and they filter out most of the extraneous sounds making hearing extremely clear. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Here's a Hearing Aid update...

A LOT has changed in these past few months, and I've learned a lot about these new hearing aids on the market today. In the US, hearing aid can now be sold over the counter in places like Walmart, CVS, Target, etc. and at very reasonable costs! Most are self-programmable. Quality varies, especially by price, but reputable name brands are available. Be careful and do not get lulled by low prices. Do your research about each brand and each model. There may not be any trained hearing professions doing the selling.

As far as top of the line custom hearing aids, again, big changes. Now virtually all top-end hearing aids are Bluetooth enabled, and have smartphone apps to 'generally' control them. By that I mean many of the apps will control only volume, and perhaps bass/treble sliders, while other brand apps may also provide those for each custom program,  and a couple of other general settings, etc.

ReSound brand is touted to have the best app, and I personally agree. It can be GPS linked to a specific location which means that if I create a 'custom setting' program for my favorite weekly lunch with friends at our regular restaurant, link it in the app to the phone's GPS, every Friday when I walk into that restaurant my hearing aids automatically switch into that specific custom setting! When I leave, it automatically switches back to my all-around setting. The app lets me adjust bass/mid/treble in four different situational programs, as well as adjusting wind noise. I seem to be able to create unlimited number of 'favorite' programs linked to my GPS.  That said, I rarely use the app to adjust volume.  I prefer the button on my hearing aid. One button serves both devices for volume, although I have the option of changing just one side if I wanted to change the initial set-up. That's NOT something that can be changed by the app. One needs a wireless interface to software on a computer.  I bought my interface from Ebay, and the hearing aid company I use gave me the software and showed me how to use it.  BUT... one does NOT need to self-program any more. Your audiologist can connect with you hearing aids via smartphone, and make any changes you might like!

I treated myself to a pair of ReSound One-nine devices, and could not be happier! The sound quality is the most normal that I've encountered to date, and the customization perfect for my needs. The ReSound One-nine is made in three different models; Rechargeable, 13, and 312 size batteries.  I chose the battery model as I travel often, and would always have to have a charger with me. Two spare 312 batteries take up no room on my key-chain. That, plus my hearing aid supplier recommended that I keep away from rechargeable because it would cost me too much (living here in Thailand) to replace the battery when it wears out. I opted to upgrade the receiver to the next higher power as my hearing is going fast and these should cover me for at least the next 5-6 years. They come with a four-year warranty from the manufacturer.  They have the highest water resistance rating available, although I believe it's the new Oticon hearing aids that you can safely wear in the shower!  ReSound uses a nano-coating on all its individual inside parts, then again as a finished product, so it should stand up well to the occasional rain storm, but living in the tropics I still like to use a dry-box every night anyway. I wouldn't be able to do that so conveniently with rechargeable devices.

One delightful benefit of Bluetooth enabled hearing aids is that they can connect with your phone, automatically channeling the call/music/audiobook/etc.,  directly into your hearing aids. With my new ReSound One-nine I can tap a button on my hearing aid to answer the phone (still in my pocket) and answer back via the mics in my hearing aid! Finally crystal clear phone calls. A button tap ends the call and returns you to your previous situation.

The hearing aid shop in Chotana Mall can order ReSound hearing aids, and she is very pleasant to deal with. However, I bought my hearing aids online for the savings, which were significant. The dealer pre-programed them with my audiogram and sent them to me. We made an appointment to connect, and as he showed me how the new fitting software worked, tweaked a couple of frequency settings that I wanted, changed some button assignments (right press volume up/left press volume down, long left press streaming (from any Bluetooth source) on, right long press streaming off.  That was really all I needed to make them fit perfectly to my needs. That, combined with the GPS custom settings automatically changing for me through my usual day, unnoticed by my unless I happen to look at my phone and see what program I'm in!

That said  iPhone (maybe Android too?) has its own app that connect to your Bluetooth devices allowing me to adjust the volume of each hearing aid separately or together, as well as completely mute them. It also shows battery levels. One very cool feature is "Live Sound." Turn on Live Sound and your phone's mic becomes one of your mics. If you're at a large table and can't hear the people at the other end, turn on Live Sound, and your phone becomes a directional mic. If it's a really big table, put your phone in the middle pointing towards them. No need for extras. But of course, extras are available!

Most of the major brands have remote mics, TV streaming devices, and devices that do both. Each is well worth the extra money... IF you need them.  I bought ReSound's 'Multi-Mic' and use it at least a few hours a day. Not needed... just makes life easier.

I guess this got a little longer than I planned... ????

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

every Friday when I walk into that restaurant my hearing aids automatically switch into that specific custom setting!

Egad! With hearing aid technology jumping by leaps and bounds, soon we'll be able to have hearing aids translate Thai into English (or whatever). But until that time, I'll be content to not be able to hear a language I don't understand, as deafness in the midst of Thai cacophony is bliss. (A little tongue-in-ear canal humor, before you hit the respond button.) ????

• Haha 2