Wine has now become a real luxury in Thailand

webfact

I stumbled across a wine shop in thailand and the owner told me smaller obscure brands from Europe or Australia they under declare hence reducing the tax. This cannot be done on larger brands such as penfolds etc. 

There are some deals and I picked up a nice bottle for only 350b which is more than I usually pay locally in sydney but acceptable.

just to note they are cheaper than the big c 711 prices 

• Like 1

we have a couple of shops where we go to get some decent wine at reasonable prices but you do have to search around, many of the bottles we buy have been sitting in the shelves for a few years so the shop has reduced the price to sell them. Have found some good french, aussie and south american bottles amongst them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lujanit said:

I tried some of the local wine years ago and it was definitely not drinkable.  I then gave up on local wine, I wouldn't drink it if was free.  Paying 350 baht for a wine that would sell in Aus for $3 is beyond a joke.

Monsoon Valley are very drinkable I think. As good as most cheap supermarket plonk in UK.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Everything comes to him who waits and sniffs around Tescos.

wine.jpg

wine.jpg

Yes there are a few bargains out there, and I went hunting for those you had mentioned in your previous post, however couldn't find any in Patong or Phuket, although I have found some heavily reduced wines here in the past, so I keep hunting!

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Depending on the type of wine one drinks, prices are not necessarily higher in Thailand. I pay the same price in the US as I do in Thailand for specific wines like Le Volte (about $30/1100 baht) and il Bruciato (about the same). For Barolos and Barbarescos in the $50-100 range, prices are also about the same. Ditto for Super Toscanas

For higher end Italian wines like Sassicaia and Solaia, Tignanello, Guado al Tasso and that ilk, prices are lower in Thailand than the US (because importers under declare the cost and most Customs officials are unfamiliar with these wines).

if one buys in bulk, discounts are available from major importers. I enjoy a good wine with a meal, so I load up on favorites.

Where the price impact is felt the most is with less expensive wines, as their price is low enough that true price is declared and the tax/duty is added on. The wines at Wine Connection tend to be cheap wines, so the full markup is felt in Thailand.

Edited by Walker88
  • Thanks 2

Does the fruit wine have different coloured tax stickers? Just opened a Nadin 777 red that is fruit wine, yesterday at wine connection a bottle of French wine there was fruit wine, almost all of it is. Nadin has a blue tax sticker

• Like 2

Rule of thumb: wine retail prices in Thailand = restaurant prices in Europe. I buy wine in the 1000-3000 THB range, but spend less money than my beer drinking buddies, because a bottle lasts 3-4 days maintaining the quality with the Coravin system.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1