South African woman gets life sentence reduced in Thailand

webfact

On 8/19/2022 at 10:38 PM, BKKBike09 said:

Indeed. It's a sorry tale. From the rambling Walter Mitty statement of 'facts' allegedly penned by the boyfriend:

"It was intoxicating being around someone so inexperienced and green behind the gills ... Ashley had no street experience. Hardly any life experience either. She’d never attended university ..."

Anyone who's a parent of a typical 'normal' 19-year old should empathise with this poor girl's situation. 

The boyfriend's statement has been redacted in places. However, whoever did the redacting didn't do a very good job and the underlying text is still there. It makes for very interesting reading. For legal reasons I shall neither provide a link to the statement, nor make any reference to its content other than the excerpt above. 

The words of a predator

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 10:38 PM, BKKBike09 said:

Indeed. It's a sorry tale. From the rambling Walter Mitty statement of 'facts' allegedly penned by the boyfriend:

"It was intoxicating being around someone so inexperienced and green behind the gills ... Ashley had no street experience. Hardly any life experience either. She’d never attended university ..."

Anyone who's a parent of a typical 'normal' 19-year old should empathise with this poor girl's situation. 

The boyfriend's statement has been redacted in places. However, whoever did the redacting didn't do a very good job and the underlying text is still there. It makes for very interesting reading. For legal reasons I shall neither provide a link to the statement, nor make any reference to its content other than the excerpt above. 

Your secrecy is misplaced. Tristan Nettles, the American boyfriend/drug dealer, has a video on facebook where he discusses what happened. Seems the Thai police presented her with a document written in Thai that turned out to be a “full confession”. The recruitment of naive young girls as drug mules, informed or uninformed of what they were doing, is common in the business, and prisons worldwide are full of such victims.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

There’s no evidence that she had any involvement with the drug dealing. Major screwup being involved with such a person, but we don’t know the facts. Shame on you for your sanctimonious judgment. 

We know it takes money to live in Thailand.

We know it takes a visa to live in Thailand.

We know it takes a work permit to live in Thailand.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

There’s no evidence that she had any involvement with the drug dealing. Major screwup being involved with such a person, but we don’t know the facts. Shame on you for your sanctimonious judgment. 

She was found guilty. What more do you want.? I know, we"ll give her the benefit of the doubt on your warped say so

On 8/21/2022 at 11:40 AM, Brian Nose said:

I imagine you do not have a nuanced understanding of drugs "drugs bad!", right.

It was MDMA. Not meth, no ya-ba, not heroin. 

Irrelevant. The drugs are banned in Thailand with harsh consequences if caught. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 2:37 PM, Chelseafan said:

Irrelevant. The drugs are banned in Thailand with harsh consequences if caught. 

I quoted someone who says she was going to ruin people's lives. You'd have to be pretty pedantic to make an argument that MDMA ruins lives.

But your point I agree with - she <deleted> around and found out. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 8:54 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

Thirty years in a Thai Prison will tear her body down as well as her mind............I think she will expire long before the sentence is over unfortunately.   Her only hope is a Royal Pardon or be allowed to do her time in Oz.

Oz?  She's South African.

On 8/21/2022 at 9:07 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

"...will tear her body down".

Huh?   What does that mean?   Have you ever been in a Thai prison?

It's pretty obvious what it means.  Given the poor sanitary conditions, overcrowding and lack of nutritious food in a Thai prison, it will destroy her physically. Whether or not you think she deserves it is beside the point.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2022 at 9:07 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

"...will tear her body down".

Huh?   What does that mean?   Have you ever been in a Thai prison?

It's pretty obvious what it means.  Given the poor sanitation, overcrowding and lack of nutritious food in Thai prisons, it will destroy her physically.  Whether or not you think she deserves it is beside the point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IslandLover said:

It's pretty obvious what it means.  Given the poor sanitation, overcrowding and lack of nutritious food in Thai prisons, it will destroy her physically.  Whether or not you think she deserves it is beside the point.

Sorry, my post appears to have been duplicated.  I got an error message the first time I posted it so I sent it again.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

He comes across as a fantasist and totally vile.  It's just a pity this Ashley ever got involved with him.  I've no idea if she's guilty or innocent but it does seem to me that it was entrapment on the part of the Thai police.  She has taken the fall for the others involved in this drug smuggling ring.  I presume none of them are still in Thailand, including the Russian fellow teacher and associate of Nettles?

• Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 2:13 AM, crazykopite said:

Maybe only 56 but she will look 96 I can only conclude you have never done a social visit to one of Thailands prisons I have and believe me it’s daunting and all I was doing was visiting Brits in Samui prison . Now your no longer to bring them food in case there’s a razor blade in there so that they can end there life in the hell hole 

I have visited more than one and the conditions are horrendous  One French inmate in 'the Hilton' was constantly complaining of headaches and had a lot of swelling below his ear. One day his ear drum burst and cockroaches came out. If he had been allowed to visit the clinic when symptoms appeared his hearing could have been saved. He could not go to the clinic as he had no money.  Foreign and local inmates need cash to buy food sold inside made by inmates or brought in by visitors from vendors selling in a market outside the gates. Guards/officials run the market. The food is very good but expensive. Foreigners can not survive on the food provided by the prisons.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

We know it takes money to live in Thailand.

We know it takes a visa to live in Thailand.

We know it takes a work permit to live in Thailand.

We know it takes money to buy justice....She was thrown under the train

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d4dang said:

I have visited more than one and the conditions are horrendous  One French inmate in 'the Hilton' was constantly complaining of headaches and had a lot of swelling below his ear. One day his ear drum burst and cockroaches came out. If he had been allowed to visit the clinic when symptoms appeared his hearing could have been saved. He could not go to the clinic as he had no money.  Foreign and local inmates need cash to buy food sold inside made by inmates or brought in by visitors from vendors selling in a market outside the gates. Guards/officials run the market. The food is very good but expensive. Foreigners can not survive on the food provided by the prisons.

What exactly did you expect from a third world prison?

People that are stupid enough to think they can get away with breaking the law in third world countries, got exactly what they deserved.

I ask once again?

Is Thailand really all that?

So someone would move and break the law just to live there?

Not to me, not one bit

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IslandLover said:

Oz?  She's South African.

Oh, my bad, thought I read somwhere she or her boyfriend was from Oz.............you know the old saying.........I may be able to teach you to read, but maybe not to comprehend.       Peace       

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, d4dang said:

Sounds like something from the "Damage Done" by Warren Fellows - but I think it's not uncommon for the little critters to get in there.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jimbo 12345 said:

I would have reduced her sentence to 133 years,  we don't need scum like her coming to Thailand.  

Well lucky for everyone you are not involved in the sentencing of anyone as your personal bias is showing.

Courts and judges should be impartial and follow sentencing guidelines laid down in the law taking into consideration all the factors.

Do not condone any drug dealing but a 33 year sentence for a drug offence seems rather extreme.

Do not forget those using these drugs are seeking them out, most of them are not innocent victims as they would like to have everyone believe.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 2