South African woman gets life sentence reduced in Thailand

webfact

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Hard to say really..... would you not accept a package for a neighbour if they appeared to be out..... I would, presuming there was nothing to pay that is. 

Not if I had met him or her, at a party, and had brought, or was given ecstasy by them. 

23 hours ago, law ling said:

Perhaps having gone from "life" to a set term, she'll now be able to get the usual reductions, pardons, etc. and give her some light at the end of the tunnel.

For what?

Involved in drug dealing and presumingly knowing about Thailand's laws there is no space for mercy at all.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Legalize all  drugs.

Put the bad guys out of business.

You get control

You get to tax it all..

Win, Win, Win.

Thats right.  After all the American opiod crisis shows legal drugs won't do any harm.  Only half a million deaths tens of millions addicted.  What could go wrong.

1 minute ago, futsukayoi said:

Thats right.  After all the American opiod crisis shows legal drugs won't do any harm.  Only half a million deaths tens of millions addicted.  What could go wrong.

That could be a reflection of what's wrong with the way things have been done for the last 50 years. 

On 8/20/2022 at 9:12 AM, Chelseafan said:

What a waste of her life. Still better hers than those she was going to ruin 

I imagine you do not have a nuanced understanding of drugs "drugs bad!", right.

It was MDMA. Not meth, no ya-ba, not heroin. 

• Like 1

So much to speculate on,  I don't know if she is guilty or not.

With so much wrong with Thailand all their rules and laws yet very few enforced while rich and connected do as they please. Death sentence reduced to 33 year still the sentence to me is out of whack. Unless the evidence clearly shows she has a long history of dealing with assets clearly available unexplainable this type of sentence is reserve for kingpins?

Personally,  on the surface the police botched the case,  if they knew the BF was a big fish dealer wouldn't it make a bit of sense to wait until he returns to make the arrest it is he they wanted all along not someone who signs for a package!

If it happen once it would happen again!  That is how it works. One would think wait until she goes out alone then nap and squeeze her as to how much she knows she isn't the whale to get the whale they should have used her as bait doing so gives her a past. The result would have been reverse instead they got nothing and a big story as if the caught a kingpin! 

Sounds like the keystone cops to me! That is their investigation?  Sure justice system is different based on the article real different! 

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, dj230 said:

Well chemically MDMA is a norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine releasing agent so it’s similar to meth, cocaine and other amphetamines. 

I’d say it’s pretty addictive considering dopamine and serotonin are the two main chemicals responsible for addiction. 

I am surprised people buy fentanyl from black markets, nor do I think opioids are addictive like people say, to be honest and don’t understand why people use it to get high. They use fentanyl or ketamine in hospital sometimes before they put you to sleep. I don’t ever feel any urge to take those medications again. I think the addiction has to do with those with chronic pain, who would like to live life pain free and their addiction is more to the ability to be pain free versus the medication/drug itself. 

Opiods such as opium, codeine, heroine, fentanyl are very addictive, you would understand if you tried on a recreational basis. It gives you a feeling that everything is good and happy in mild form and a euphoric rush if a bit stronger. Takes the pain away too, hence it being used in the hospital.

MDMA may be similar chemically to yaaba but from personal experience it is not super addictive. A lot of care needs to be had taking it though.

Ketamine is not an opioid, it's a dissassociative, and its effect is very different; at low dosages it helps you enjoy the party and puts the beats in sync, at higher dosages it is somewhat psychedelic and you can experience yourself leaving your body, it's a bit hard to describe and different variants give different effect. At high dosages its numbing and you don't feel pain, hence it being used during surgery. 

On 8/19/2022 at 8:40 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?

Thirty years in a Thai Prison will tear her body down as well as her mind............I think she will expire long before the sentence is over unfortunately.   Her only hope is a Royal Pardon or be allowed to do her time in Oz.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Don Chance said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...will tear her body down".

Huh?   What does that mean?   Have you ever been in a Thai prison?

It's like a death sentence.

What?  How does it "tear the body down"? 

Was your incarceration in a Thai prison "like a death sentence"?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, eto1 said:

The point about ruining other people's lives is not valid , people who use drugs have a choice . They can only blame themselves not the suppliers. 

It's like when I had a problem with drink do I blame M&B or the bulls head or the gay barman. No it was me. 

Do drinkers/smokers blame the pm for legalising it?

3 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thirty years in a Thai Prison will tear her body down as well as her mind............I think she will expire long before the sentence is over unfortunately.   Her only hope is a Royal Pardon or be allowed to do her time in Oz.

10 years wear her down

• Like 1

Young lady, just sign this statement or we won't let you go until you do. It's ok, just sign and we'll let you go. No problem. Happens all the time and the poor desperate mark signs the statement. Guess you know what happens after that!

5 hours ago, AventurasEnMadrid said:

Opiods such as opium, codeine, heroine, fentanyl are very addictive, you would understand if you tried on a recreational basis. It gives you a feeling that everything is good and happy in mild form and a euphoric rush if a bit stronger. Takes the pain away too, hence it being used in the hospital.

MDMA may be similar chemically to yaaba but from personal experience it is not super addictive. A lot of care needs to be had taking it though.

Ketamine is not an opioid, it's a dissassociative, and its effect is very different; at low dosages it helps you enjoy the party and puts the beats in sync, at higher dosages it is somewhat psychedelic and you can experience yourself leaving your body, it's a bit hard to describe and different variants give different effect. At high dosages its numbing and you don't feel pain, hence it being used during surgery. 

I’ve had quite high doses of bolus intravenous hydromorphone (post surgery) which exceeds most recreational doses of opioids and I can’t say I’ve ever felt any high, pain relief, yes, along with no appetite. Codeine is an extremely weak opioid, to give reference, hydromorphone is 2.5x stronger than heroin and 500x stronger than codeine. 

Just curious, did you take pharmaceutical amphetamines or were they off a black market. Many times you don’t get what you actually think you get on black markets, which could be why experiences from chemicals on the black market are different. 

I have used pharmaceutical amphetamines before (prescription) and I would say they have a direct effect on addiction because of how it makes you feel after you stop taking it. Mainly due to the crash in dopamine/serotonin/norepinephrine. 

ketamine is used more for sedation (anesthetic) rather than painkilling, when I go under for surgery usually they use ketamine to knock me out and fentenyl for pain, post surgery a bolus hydromorphone pump. I have never felt any addiction to either 

Was just reading in Yahoo news about this and they had some additional things like: 

He previously worked as a teacher in Koh Samui, where he met Oosthuizen. Nettles admitted to shipping drugs into the school for years.

his packages were discovered at the school he previously worked at

So that puzzles me, why he wasnt arrested when the Thai find out!

Just one call to police station would have been helpful?

He shipped it for years ! So no one ever (airports, customs) checked?!

So now they got the mule, not aware. Well done, st**ds !

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 9:24 PM, dj230 said:

Well chemically MDMA is a norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine releasing agent so it’s similar to meth, cocaine and other amphetamines. 

I’d say it’s pretty addictive considering dopamine and serotonin are the two main chemicals responsible for addiction. 

You sound knowledgeable to ignorant people and ignorant to knowledgeable people. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KIngsofisaan said:

When I read stories such as these, I always ask myself, is Thailand really worth it?

To break the law and risk going to prison for an excessive amount of years just to live in Thailand?

At bet at her age, she now wishes she had never heard of Thailand.

Your question should be “is breaking the law in Thailand really worth it”. This could have happened in any country and she would still go to jail. For her, the question might have been “is being involved with a drug dealer really worth it”. Living in Thailand is obviously worth it to many thousands of expats who manage to not break laws

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Not if I had met him or her, at a party, and had brought, or was given ecstasy by them. 

There are infinite reasons why you shouldn’t sign and take legal responsibility on someone else’s behalf. Packages can be re delivered. You should never sign for a neighbor’s mail.  

On 8/19/2022 at 9:12 PM, Chelseafan said:

What a waste of her life. Still better hers than those she was going to ruin 

There’s no evidence that she had any involvement with the drug dealing. Major screwup being involved with such a person, but we don’t know the facts. Shame on you for your sanctimonious judgment. 

• Like 1