South African woman gets life sentence reduced in Thailand

webfact

AO.jpg

file photo

SABCNews

A woman from George in the Western Cape who was sentenced to life imprisonment on drug charges in Thailand, has had her sentence reduced to just over 33 years.

The appeal court in Koh Samui heard the matter of 23-year-old Ashley Oosthuizen.

She was convicted on the drug charges last year.

Oosthuizen was teaching English in the country before working at a restaurant that her boyfriend, an alleged drug trafficker, owned.

Oosthuizen was arrested in a police sting after signing for a package of drugs for her boyfriend, who has managed to evade police.

Full story: https://www.sabcnews.com/sabcnews/sa-woman-gets-life-sentence-reduced-in-thailand/

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright SABC 2022-08-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 13

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Hard to say really..... would you not accept a package for a neighbour if they appeared to be out..... I would, presuming there was nothing to pay that is. 

Well, I wouldn't sign for it.

Knowing this girl's story, and there being even a scintilla of risk of a heafty jail term, I'd step back - and claim I had an urgent errand to attend to.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Before rushing to judgement, there is lots more to this sorry tale. Believing the authorities here in regards to court cases/justice issues generally results in misunderstanding.

More info here

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/breaking-freeashley-ashley-oosthuizen-george-22-thailand-life-imprisonment-18-february-2022/

Indeed. It's a sorry tale. From the rambling Walter Mitty statement of 'facts' allegedly penned by the boyfriend:

"It was intoxicating being around someone so inexperienced and green behind the gills ... Ashley had no street experience. Hardly any life experience either. She’d never attended university ..."

Anyone who's a parent of a typical 'normal' 19-year old should empathise with this poor girl's situation. 

The boyfriend's statement has been redacted in places. However, whoever did the redacting didn't do a very good job and the underlying text is still there. It makes for very interesting reading. For legal reasons I shall neither provide a link to the statement, nor make any reference to its content other than the excerpt above. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember reading this story.  Her business, income, etc........ nothing really made sense.  

My gut feeling said something was fishy, and it appears we'll never get to the bottom of it.  

Her nationality, looks, etc..... don't play a role.   I think she was doing something shady in Thailand, got caught, now "bad luck" it's a harsh sentence.   next.  

Edited by Iamfalang
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Before rushing to judgement, there is lots more to this sorry tale. Believing the authorities here in regards to court cases/justice issues generally results in misunderstanding.

More info here

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/breaking-freeashley-ashley-oosthuizen-george-22-thailand-life-imprisonment-18-february-2022/

And believing the cowardly, criminal, drug dealer here in regards to her "innocence" generally results in misunderstandings also!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

How much do you know about this story? Find it odd that folk here are quick to admonish while overlooking the obvious corruption that goes on behind the scenes. 

She was found guilty. Doubt there was much obvious corruption in this case. She played with fire and got caught. If the facts and story change in her favour then so will my view

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Would you sign for and accept your neighbours' package if you knew that they were drug dealers?

Every Thai knows who deal drungs in they (soi,village). If foreigner is not "outsider" they know also! 

• Like 2