Down and out in England.

Charity begins at home,  not on the beaches of Dover.

We should care more about our homeless.

it does not matter how they ended up in that situation.

Government and charities should help them more.

( anyone ever made a mistake in life ) 

I wonder how many posters here, are the ones who used to spit on

the homeless sleeping in shop doorways, back in the day.

Edited by quake
  • Like 2

I think if you effectively opt out of life in a Western country and don't pay state pension contributions then you can end up in financial difficulties. Yesterday I was talking to a late 60's German guy in Pattaya. He'd lived in Thailand for 30 years and his German pension was 500 Euros. He is really struggling to get by on that in Thailand and going back to Germany was not viable.

I think the UK is relatively generous. Even without any NI record the OP can get Housing Benefit and also Pension Credit if over pension age. Pension Credit is a max of about £200/week.

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Like 1

It is possible to get help in the UK for housing

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/get_help_from_the_council/who_qualifies_for_housing

Who can get emergency housing and longer term housing

You have a right to emergency housing if the council think you might:

The council must give you emergency housing while they look into your situation. They also must help you with a personal housing plan.

The council does not have to give you emergency housing until you are legally homeless. They must still give you help and advice if you are likely to be homeless within 8 weeks.

3 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I think if you effectively opt out of life in a Western country and don't pay state pension contributions then you can end up in financial difficulties. Yesterday I was talking to a late 60's German guy in Pattaya. He'd lived in Thailand for 30 years and his German pension was 500 Euros. He is really struggling to get by on that in Thailand and going back to Germany was not viable.

I think the UK is relatively generous. Even without any NI record the OP can get Housing Benefit and also Pension Credit if over pension age. Pension Credit is a max of about £200/week.

In terms of 'pay out', I think that the UK pension scheme lags many (most?) other European schemes.

However - as you infer - the big advantage for ex-pat Brits is the ability to make voluntary payments at what are ridiculously low rates in order to preserve their pension entitlements. I'm not aware of any other state backed pension scheme where this provision is open to all expats.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, Thujone said:

Yuletide greetings to one and all.

I'm still out on the bench.

I've tried all agencies/charities I can find, and all those suggested to me by groups who give help to those who are homeless.

I am not deemed a priority, so am therefore not eligible.

Others with priority status get the accommodation I would get if I were a priority.

Some have suggested I should be economical/expansive with the truth to get priority status.

But we all know what happened to Mac in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest as a result of that cunning plan...

Employers aren't interested in my applications, due to my situation.

But, in case it seems I am logging in to moan, I'm not.

I'm just telling it how it is for anybody who's interested.

My life has been a series of adventures and this one could be the ultimate.

There is the fact that over the course of time I have become part of a loose-knit community of people who are also not deemed priorities.

I hope this post is of interest to some.

Keep the faith man, this too shall pass.

32 minutes ago, Thujone said:

I've tried all agencies/charities I can find, and all those suggested to me by groups who give help to those who are homeless.

Others with priority status get the accommodation I would get if I were a priority.

Some have suggested I should be economical/expansive with the truth to get priority status.

But we all know what happened to Mac in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest as a result of that cunning plan...

There is the fact that over the course of time I have become part of a loose-knit community of people who are also not deemed priorities.

Sorry to hear this, been a while now, did you try the link I posted two posts up? Everyone has a right to emergency accommodation while they find you somewhere, its law, why has this not happened to you?

1 hour ago, Thujone said:

Best wishes to you and thanks for updating us as people are interested/concerned to hear how you are doing.

I am sad I can't be of more constructive help but hope things come good for you. Keep the faith. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Best wishes to you and thanks for updating us as people are interested/concerned to hear how you are doing.

I am sad I can't be of more constructive help but hope things come good for you. Keep the faith. 

My sentiments also.

Hopefully things will turn around soon for you Thujone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/20/2023 at 11:50 AM, Thujone said:

Yes, is tough, soon as I landed some months ago, same situation, but was in army in the 60s,they helped me out enormously, hotel for 3 months then housing assc  for flat, but I had cancer, so whichever way I went would have helped  .      Would state anyone there in Thailand stay there as long as poss  homelessness is rife            Another thing you will be seen by nhs and treated along with others no penalty, the bill for moi is catastrophic, mris, ct scans by the dozen  turp op coming up,hospital appointments coming out of my ears

On 12/20/2023 at 12:25 PM, Seppius said:

Sorry to hear this, been a while now, did you try the link I posted two posts up? Everyone has a right to emergency accommodation while they find you somewhere, its law, why has this not happened to you?

a tent and a sleeping bag

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Belated Equinox greetings.

Still on the bench.

A life that would have seemed scary not so long ago is increasingly seeming normal...

I probably wont be logging in much after this update.

Thailand seems a long time ago.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 6:07 PM, Thujone said:

Still on the bench.

A life that would have seemed scary not so long ago is increasingly seeming normal...

Best of luck to you, hoping for the best.

• Agree 2

On 3/22/2024 at 6:07 PM, Thujone said:

Still on the bench.

Good luck man.

I wish you well.

Quake. :jap:

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Living on a bench, with a device with access to internet, spending time speaking to those thousands of miles away. 

I can't help thinking you've got your priorities all wrong.

I don't think that was his choice , he didn't have no other option 

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

Exactly my point. He has purchased a mobile device and an internet connection. He has money.

I think that already had a mobile phone and you can often get free internet connection in public places , besides , having a mobile phone and internet connection would be high up on the list of important things to have , like someone can contact him if a job becomes available 

6 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I think that already had a mobile phone and you can often get free internet connection in public places , besides , having a mobile phone and internet connection would be high up on the list of important things to have , like someone can contact him if a job becomes available 

Unlikely, having read the whole thread with regards to his alleged situation.

I wonder where he charges his device.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Unlikely, having read the whole thread with regards to his alleged situation.

I wonder where he charges his device.

There are charging devices all over the place .

Do you think that he should have bought  house, rather than a phone ?