Down and out in England.

Due to drastic changes in circumstances, I am leaving Thailand and going back to England.

I haven't been there for more than 10 years.

I've lost contact with friends, no family, so I will be homeless to begin with.

I thought I'd go to Brighton as, well why not, and if I've got a chance to pull things around, I've as much chance in Brighton as anywhere else.

But...where will I leave my suitcase?

A homeless person lugging a suitcase will be a target and I doubt I will hold on to it for long.

Does anybody have any ideas as to where a suitcase can be left as cheaply as possible, which I may be able to adapt to leaving it in Brighton?

The train station doesn't do luggage storage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

If he's talking about being homeless, what makes you think he can buy a van?

I'd shop in Thailand for WINTER coats, you can find some for maybe 200 baht.  Facebook marketplace, I found great coats for under 300 baht.   I can't imagine cheaper in the UK.

Same thing with a rain jacket, shoes, etc....

stay warm, that has to be a priority.

I would also consider NOT going to the UK if finances are very bad.  Laos, Cambodia, somewhere warmer........   teach English online, at a school (probably possible at any age)...

good luck

One piece of good fortune I've had is that I've kept some good quality winter clothing during my stay in Thailand. (Sometimes to my bemusement...)

As much of this as possible will be coming with me.

The short-sleeved linen and silk shirts will be left behind.

Laos, Cambodia will be given consideration.

I hadn't thought of those possibilities.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, this sounds very strange to me. Drastic circumstances? Are they that you are suddenly out of money? But, can not be that either as you could give Laos and Cambodia a try. If you need to go home, and still have your money every month or an income, what makes you not be able to find a room for stay? Just a quick search online, and I found room for rent between 250 - 300 pounds per month.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, blackcab said:

If you go back to the UK think seriously about staying in the airport until you are sorted.

Warm, dry, and I'm sure the care team will sort you out food and a shower, access to a telephone, etc.

If you leave the airport you then become someone else's problem and you will have to start again.

Ideally you do not want to be rough sleeping on the streets as things will spiral downhill very quickly.

Getting accommodation from the council is complex. Shelter have this to say:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/get_help_from_the_council/who_qualifies_for_housing

Specifically note the bit about Habitual Residence: "The council might ask you more about this if you've lived abroad in the last 2 years".

Also, carefully read section 5 where you need a connection to an area. Just randomly picking Brighton without a reason won't work. You need to carefully consider what you say in advance because the council housing officer will look for any way to reject you, not any way to accept you. 

Food for thought.

I wasn't optimistic about getting a council to help, thinking more of a homeless shelter, but I'll look into the council route.

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

I have some winter coats etc I bought when working in Korea - they are just taking up space, as I don't do cold countries any more.

Happy to give them to you free if that would help?

In the UK it helps if you have an address, as then you can register at the local benefits office.  A shared house could be a start.  An address will also help you get a job - kitchen porter van be a way back into the job market.

You"ll need just enough cash for the initial rent and deposit, but that's not much compared to the cost of the return flight to UK these days.

I wouldn't recommend UK without an adress and a roof over your head.

Best of luck mate, and hope things look up soon.

Thanks for the offer of the winter clothing, but I'm ok for those items, even though several times I've seen them in the cupboards and drawers and wondered why I'm keeping them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

I'd shop in Thailand for WINTER coats, you can find some for maybe 200 baht.  Facebook marketplace, I found great coats for under 300 baht.   I can't imagine cheaper in the UK.

There are many Charity shops in the UK where clothes can be got very cheap. Also, the Salvation Army run "clothes" banks.

20 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I've used these previously https://stasher.com/luggage-storage/

Great info....from that link......

Storing your luggage at London Gatwick with Stasher costs only £6 per day, and £5 for any additional day!

Where can I find Stasher’s Gatwick luggage storage locations?

Our London Gatwick Airport luggage storage options are conveniently located at the exit of Gatwick building. To ensure optimal service, we have partnered with Premier Inn to offer you exclusive luggage storage in London Gatwick, 24/7. 

30 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Might be hard for the OP to find rooms for rent in Brighton at these prices if the following link is anything to go by:-

https://www.roomsforlet.co.uk/search/results/?area=36994

I searched for Brighton, so no it wont be hard. Well in place, it will probably be both easier and lower price.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thanks 1

The question is:  What do you need?

warm socks, a warm hat, a rain coat, warm gloves?   what's your size.

the next question is money.    How dire are we talking?   Any income coming in?   

I think you can get a year Laos visa for "cheap" (search this forum) and then you know the routine.......

if you can speak English, someone will hire you.   If under 60, definitely stay in Thailand.   There's a lot of paperwork, need degree and transcripts (email away, maybe) and that's 30,000 or more a month.   Fun?  ah, anyhow, it's surviving money.

even if older Thailand with a a degree from back home, you can probably get with a school.

ajarn dot com.   just start emailing 

homeless in the cold has to be 100000x worse than in the heat.

another idea.....Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam...... hot and I'm sure there are cheap 

options.

Then we have the hypothetical.    too long in Thailand but surviving or homeless in the UK and suffering.  Sure, some stress, but .................. well, that's hypothetical.  

the computer is your friend.   email people in the UK, plan, plan, plan, and plan

9 hours ago, Thujone said:

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depends which way you look at it, I have found myself in difficult circumstances in the past, (those who fail to plan and all that), and have always managed to turn it around and come to a much happier place.

This one is a bit more difficult because I'm getting older, but if I stay on top of it and, most importantly, don't go down and start feeling sorry for myself, I will turn this one around.

Thanks for your positive input.

Keep us updated how it goes, will be interesting to follow, save this thread