Down and out in England.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Only if you read (and believe) everything in the Daily Mail.

I had a taxi driver in Glasgow a few years back (nicknamed Taliban taxis), guy was a migrant, said he travelled through Europe,all countries hostile until he got to Scotland, got cash in hand straight away and a place to stay, so stayed,  Hopefully op will get similar help

Edited by scubascuba3

On 8/21/2022 at 2:30 AM, Thujone said:

Does anybody have any ideas as to where a suitcase can be left as cheaply as possible, which I may be able to adapt to leaving it in Brighton?

Brighton is now just as expensive as London , Cheaper places would be in Northern towns .

You can check the prices or various towns on Rightmove.co.uk .

There has been a poster on these forums who has been looking for someone live in people to help him on his farm in Thailand .

You could contact him ?

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 2:30 AM, Thujone said:

Due to drastic changes in circumstances, I am leaving Thailand and going back to England.

I am now in the UK and I have seem some jobs being offered with accommodation available .

One job was a Park Patrol , grass cutter or littering collector or whatever , and one was bar work .

Both offered accommodation 

On 8/24/2022 at 3:54 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I had a taxi driver in Glasgow a few years back (nicknamed Taliban taxis), guy was a migrant, said he travelled through Europe,all countries hostile until he got to Scotland, got cash in hand straight away and a place to stay, so stayed,  Hopefully op will get similar help

I recall Helensburgh in Scotland has the largest community of Syrian refugees in the UK. If only the First Minister could take care of her own, eh?

I am quietly confident that the OP will find all the help and assistance that he's entitled to. However, if the English keep him at the back of the queue, he could do no worse than 'tak the low road'.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 10:23 AM, Gottfrid said:

Just a quick search online, and I found room for rent between 250 - 300 pounds per month.

On 8/21/2022 at 1:40 PM, Gottfrid said:

I searched for Brighton, so no it wont be hard. Well in place, it will probably be both easier and lower price.

Link, please.

The decision is made.

I have booked a flight to Heathrow for next week.

I will be arriving in the evening.

I've decided that adventuring in Laos or Cambodia is not for me at the moment, so I will adventure with being homeless in England. This could be one of the biggest blunders I have made so far.

I contacted Heathrow travelcare yesterday morning, (their time), telling them that I will be arriving homeless with limited funds. No reply as yet, but their help guide is quite extensive, so I'll be following up contacts from that, and maybe travelcare feel that all the info needed is there.

If I haven't got anything fully organised by the time I arrive, I will overnight at the airport, and go to the office of travelcare in the morning, to see what they can suggest.

I will 'park' my suitcase at Heathrow, so I haven't got the additional hassle of lugging that around while looking for somewhere to stay.

I'll check online for jobs with accommodation and for rooms in shared houses in various areas.

Brighton's looking doubtful now.

Not feeling hopeful, but I'll blast on anyway.

Edited by Thujone
Add info.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Thujone said:

So I'm here at Heathrow.

Travelcare no longer have an office here, I've got to phone them at 9:00. (It's now 5:00.)

Stasher luggage storage no longer operate from here (at a rate of £6:00 per day) , and have been replaced by another company, who apparently charge £12:50 per day.

Maybe I'm living too long. 

I'm not really interested in doing this.

But, there's always the chance things will take a turn for the better, so I'll blast on.

Note to all reading, (although you probably already know this), have a well thought-out Plan B to living in Thailand, should things go belly-up. 

Good luck, I have had to do it a couple of times in my life, over 35 years on and off in Thailand, gone back broke. YOU can turn it around, plenty of jobs in the hospitality industry right now. If you can get a live-in hotel job even better. Night porter, something like that. Don't give up

53 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Good luck, I have had to do it a couple of times in my life, over 35 years on and off in Thailand, gone back broke. YOU can turn it around, plenty of jobs in the hospitality industry right now. If you can get a live-in hotel job even better. Night porter, something like that. Don't give up

Thanks for that. 

I suppose the first few days will inevitably be a bit up in the air.

It just feels a bit grim to be back, to be honest. 

But I'm only back to the airport, so I've got to keep things in proportion. 

Phoning what amounts to a helpline at this stage of my life doesn't grab me as an idea, but, if they can come up with an idea of where I can stay for a few days, hopefully not at London hotel prices, then I can look for something more permanent. 

A hotel porter is a good idea.

I'll carry on. 

Edited by Thujone
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Can you get housing benefit ?s the system is a

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer, from what I've read online, is that for people returning from living abroad for an extended time, there can be a delay in payment for 4-8 weeks, as the system is assessing whether the claimant is back for a long time or temporarily. 

This is why I want to be particularly careful with the money I have, as I may have to put a deposit down on a place I may find to live and pay the rent for a while until HB deems me worthy. 

As often happens with helplines, nobody answers. 

Then, after trying since 9:00, the advertised answering time, at 1:00 pm the answerphone kicks in. 

So I've left a message, and will see what happens. 

Security have started to take an interest in me, so I'll probably be off tomorrow. 

A last mega-session in Brighton and then... 

Battery's fading, will post later. 

Make a plan, chaps. 

Edited by Thujone

12 minutes ago, Thujone said:

As often happens with helplines, nobody answers. 

Then, after trying since 9:00, the advertised answering time, at 1:00 pm the answerphone kicks in. 

So I've left a message, and will see what happens. 

Security have started to take an interest in me, so I'll probably be off tomorrow. 

A last mega-session in Brighton and then... 

Battery's fading, will post later. 

Make a plan, chaps. 

Check your PM 

I'll load this reply in small pieces as this tablet seems to have a mind of it's own and suddenly deletes things. 

I'm still not entirely convinced that this isn't the biggest brainfart I've released so far. 

But I am finding it interesting.

I stayed in Heathrow for two days, then headed down to Brighton. 

Everywhere I tried was fully booked or outside of my budget. 

I lived in Hastings years ago, so I got a train to there. 

I had an ex-girlfriend who I got on well with after we split up, and got on well with her sister, so I thought I'd try to track them down for any ideas they might have.

I had made an attempt at finding accommodation, but found the situation similar to Brighton. 

I went to the pub we met in, but they didn't know her. 

I went to another pub where we used to go, and they knew her, and said she came in every Friday. 

But this was Wednesday, I had my suitcases with me and a heavy rucksack.

It was getting dark and drizzly outside.

Stuck for any better plan, I decided to sink a few beers and not panic. 

I met a couple in the pub, and one of them made a phone call and got me a room above another pub for two nights, where I am now.

I registered as being unemployed today, and one of the four muscle-bound security guards on the door, (what in the hell goes on in there?) gave me some tips on some cheapish bed and breakfasts. 

I went to the council office, and they have given me a phone number for a shelter. 

I have found a luggage storage facility online, and will wait on their reply tomorrow. 

I wouldn't say I am enjoying this experience, but it is interesting. 

Something I've noticed with living in Pattaya is that it's rare to meet a happy old person. 

Many or most appear to be bordering on manic depression or are drunken critical people-watchers. 

Whatever happens, I can't complain. 

It's been a good life. 

Edited by Thujone
  • Like 1

If anybody is expecting local authorities to supply accommodation if/when you return to Britain, forget it.

You will be all but told to sod off.

If you are expecting financial help, the same applies.

It's been an interesting move, and I'm (possibly misguidedly) convinced that better must come, but for now it's a test of my positivity and thankfully several people are voluntarily helping.

I'm getting too old for this lark...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thujone said:

If anybody is expecting local authorities to supply accommodation if/when you return to Britain, forget it.

You will be all but told to sod off.

If you are expecting financial help, the same applies.

It's been an interesting move, and I'm (possibly misguidedly) convinced that better must come, but for now it's a test of my positivity and thankfully several people are voluntarily helping.

I'm getting too old for this lark...

Thanks for keeping us updated. Hope something better and more posititive comes up soon.

Disappointing to read local authorities werent more helpful for an older person.

I was told by one person at the council that I wouldn't be considered for housing for two months.

Another person in my position was told three months.

I received a phone call on Friday telling me to come in to the council offices on Monday. (Today.)

When I went in and answered a few questions, they said they would find me somewhere tonight.

I then received a phone call saying they will find me somewhere tomorrow.

I'll believe it when it happens, but if they do find me somewhere tomorrow, that will be two weeks and a day since I arrived in England.

It seems a lot longer to me, but that's not bad, considering.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Thujone said:

I was told by one person at the council that I wouldn't be considered for housing for two months.

Another person in my position was told three months.

I received a phone call on Friday telling me to come in to the council offices on Monday. (Today.)

When I went in and answered a few questions, they said they would find me somewhere tonight.

I then received a phone call saying they will find me somewhere tomorrow.

I'll believe it when it happens, but if they do find me somewhere tomorrow, that will be two weeks and a day since I arrived in England.

It seems a lot longer to me, but that's not bad, considering.

Hope they are true to their word, as you say, to get somewhere in around 2 weeks is good news. Hope it works out and its a good positive start for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

on the plus side once you've arrived and got your feet on the ground - there are many charities that can help you (shelter, salvation army, crisis plus charity shops), you should be able to find a job quite easily as many businesses are crying out for employees, especially in the hospitality sector, and with a bit of luck with accommodation included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thujone said:

So far, so good. 

I've been given a studio flat by the council and am now very comfortable. 

It's temporary accommodation, but will continue until they find me something permanent. 

I can cook my own food, have my own shower/bathroom and the rest of the people living around are in the same boat and easy to get on with. The guy who manages the accommodation is also easy to get on with. 

I've landed on my feet. 

My advice to anybody who feels their time in Asia has come to a close is to take a chance and head somewhere else.

Don't become a depressed drunk in a bar, but move on. 

My brain feels younger than just a few weeks ago, when I was forcing myself to feel positive because I knew that the alternative could quickly become horrific. The alternative was to become a depressed old man. 

I am now positive and optimistic. 

Of course this could still go belly-up, but not if I keep on top of it. 

A job is needed, and I am persuing many avenues to get one. 

Good news at last. 

Great news ! glad to hear things have now moved in a more positive direction for you in just a few weeks.

Hope this trend continues and a job is around the corner.Your positive attitude has paid off.

Which council helped and provided the accomadation for you ?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/21/2022 at 3:10 AM, Denim said:

Yup. Get an old one with tax and insurance and it will do as makeshift lodging and storage unit. There is an app you can download to your smartphone called Park4Night. It has maps showing all places where you can safely park overnight for free.

A simple van conversion is not expensive until you can find permanent accommodation. You can even get these sold on so no need to do the conversion yourself. Better and safer than trying to sleep rough.

If the OP has enough money to buy a van, tax it, insure it, run a smart phone, etc he should not be worrying about being homeless.