Electricity cut off

Misab

It’ s in the middle of the day, I sit by my computer writing a mail, suddenly electricity is cut off for again being restarted after a few seconds. It happens ever so often, Why?  How many thousands household loose their internet connection, not to mention restaurant shops etc. having problems.

Is there a good reason for this?  It shouldn’t be necessary to cut electricity, if you switch between one power supplier to another. Anyone know why it happens?

39 minutes ago, Misab said:

Anyone know why it happens?

We live in a village, after the storm the other night, we lost power from 11pm to 5pm the following day, try being without power for that long, in all fairness, they had to replace the transformer and were under the pump with power poles taking priority in other areas, not to mention they ran out of parts for the problem we had in our village and had to get one from somewhere else ????

The most frustrating part was that the wife didn't want to call PEA when I asked her too, this was 12 hours later, e.g. 11am, her excuse was we cannot tell them what to do, they know of the problem, how so I said, are you a mind reader, and that is when I served her with volley of my frustration, a freezer full of top notch food and two fridges packed to the brim, 20k-30k baht worth of stuff. I said in a calm voice, so to speak, either you ring them and find out what is happening, or you can compensate me the 20k-30k if the food goes off, because this is not good enough, I need to know that they know there is a problem, this is what we farangs do, it's called communication and confirmation. 

She was on the phone within minutes, I said what did they say and she had the audacity to say, that the man said thank you for letting him know because know one told them the power in the village was out and they will send someone over as soon as possible ????

My take on why those little one second blips happens if because of the workmanship, remember where you are man, appreciate your frustrations though, happens at least once a day here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MJCM said:

As said buy a UPS for your PC, Internet etc etc

I like it, where have I been the last 6 plus years ????

Is it possible to buy a dual one, e.g. for the internet and laptop which are close together and near a power point, or do they have to be separate, I ask because I am not literate when it comes to these things ????

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Is it possible to buy a dual one, e.g. for the internet and laptop which are close together and near a power point, or do they have to be separate, I ask because I am not literate when it comes to these thing

Internet/Modem doesn't take that much power anyway, so you could do with the one (i suggested above) for the PC only and you connect both of them. You could use an extension lead connected to the UPS and then connect the Internet/Laptop to that extension lead.

And as a Laptop has a Battery anyway ????

Please note: A Ups like that won't last hours and hours (so for your power outage lasting from 11pm-5pm a Ups like that won't help you) maybe if loads are connected 30mins-45mins max?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Then don't come living in Isarn, we have those mini blackouts 4-5 times a day.

In our old village they lasted around 5-10m each, where we live now (close to the main PEA) maybe 5 secs.

As said buy a UPS for your PC, Internet etc etc

As an example

This one for your PC

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/ups/apc/easy-ups-bvx-700va-230v-avr-usb-charging-universal-sockets-bvx700lui-ms-p055878/

And this one for your Internet/Modem

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/ups/apc/easy-ups-bv-500va-avr-universal-outlet-230v-p043323/

Why not have ONE which both PC & Router/modem are plugged into. One is no good without the other.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why not have ONE which both PC & Router/modem are plugged into. One is no good without the other.

Of course, but in my case for example the Router is 15 meters away from my PC, so I thought (as I have no idea about the OP's situation) to suggest 2.

And another reason is, if you use 2 separate UPS (1 for PC and for 1 Modem) the PC one will get drained quickly (more Wattage) and after the PC ups shutdown you can still use your Phone / Tablet to connect to the Wifi of your Internet as the Router / Modem don't use that much Wattage so they don't drain the UPS that quickly

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Of course, but in my case for example the Router is 15 meters away from my PC, so I thought (as I have no idea about the OP's situation) to suggest 2.

And another reason is, if you use 2 separate UPS (1 for PC and for 1 Modem) the PC one will get drained quickly (more Wattage) and after the PC ups shutdown you can still use your Phone / Tablet to connect to the Wifi of your Internet as the Router / Modem don't use that much Wattage so they don't drain the UPS that quickly

Agreed, but why not have a bit of time off and forget the internet for a while or turn the PC off when the router is down. Go make a cuppa..........ooops the kettle doesn't work. Have a beer before they get too warm in the fridge.

And usually you can connect your phone via mobile data if you really must.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Please note: A Ups like that won't last hours and hours (so for your power outage lasting from 11pm-5pm a Ups like that won't help you) maybe if loads are connected 30mins-45mins max?

Many thx, that 11pm-5pm was a one off in 6 plus years, maybe two before they upgraded the lines a year or so ago.

Mainly bleeps at the moment, a second or two which is enough to throw me off of the internet and I have to wait about 3-5 minutes before I am back online, so I feel it would be a worth while investment, and the girls would love me because they also get frustrated when the power bleeps and they have to wait 3-5 minutes for the internet to come back on so they can continue on their tablet and iPad. 

• Like 2

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

Mainly bleeps at the moment, a second or two which is enough to throw me off of the internet and I have to wait about 3-5 minutes before I am back online, so I feel it would be a worth while investment, and the girls would love me because they also get frustrated when the power bleeps and they have to wait 3-5 minutes for the internet to come back on so they can continue on their tablet and iPad. 

In our OLD village, the main box for the internet was in the Village "conference centre" so I had a UPS connected to our Modem/Internet, I still wouldn't have internet when the power went down because the Main Box wasn't on a UPS :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Many thx, that 11pm-5pm was a one off in 6 plus years, maybe two before they upgraded the lines a year or so ago.

44S, can your little darlings not wait 3 - 5 minutes without internet, usually F'book or TikTok rubbish anyway. Tell them to do something else USEFUL. 

12 minutes ago, MJCM said:

In our OLD village, the main box for the internet was in the Village "conference centre" so I had a UPS connected to our Modem/Internet, I still wouldn't have internet when the power went down because the Main Box wasn't on a UPS :whistling:

If the power is OFF, your PC will not work via Ethernet. or WiFI from your router.

Get yourself a data package SIM from your phone supplier so that when WIFI goes down, your phone automatically switches to Mobile Data. Bht 150 a month with dtac, if you are that desparate to stay connected to the 4ing internet.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MJCM said:

That makes sense, the main box for our internet is also in the village, so pointless exercise come to think of it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

44S, can your little darlings not wait 3 - 5 minutes without internet, usually F'book or TikTok rubbish anyway. Tell them to do something else USEFUL. 

I could respond, but I won't, just let you know my little darlings do creative stuff on the internet, not F'book or TikTok FYI, and of course they take a few hours break every couple of hours, balance is key.

Now you were saying for them to do something USEFUL or something like that weren't you Mr know all, F-all zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by 4MyEgo

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I could respond, but I won't, just let you know my little darlings do creative stuff on the internet, not F'book or TikTok FYI, and of course they take a few hours break every couple of hours, balance is key.

Now you were saying for them to do something USEFUL or something like that weren't you Mr know all, F-all zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well you DID respond, and I am sure your little girls NEVER go on F'book or Tik Tok or similar.

But if they get frustrated having to wait 3 - 5 minutes for the power to come back on, or the router to re-boot, then I feel sorry for them, and you. 

I am NOT Mr Know it All, I simply think logically. Sorry if it upset you.

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

Buy yourself a UPS - fixes the issue of the 2 second black out. 

Then bitch to your internet supplier until they put a UPS on their router hub.

I did. It took them a while but they did it in the end. Now my pc and internet stay online for an hour or more.

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Well you DID respond, and I am sure your little girls NEVER go on F'book or Tik Tok or similar.

But if they get frustrated having to wait 3 - 5 minutes for the power to come back on, or the router to re-boot, then I feel sorry for them, and you. 

I am NOT Mr Know it All, I simply think logically. Sorry if it upset you.

Whatever Mr Logical, if I wanted your advice or your "logic" I would ask for it.

G'nite.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

We live in a village, after the storm the other night, we lost power from 11pm to 5pm the following day, try being without power for that long, in all fairness, they had to replace the transformer and were under the pump with power poles taking priority in other areas, not to mention they ran out of parts for the problem we had in our village and had to get one from somewhere else ????

The most frustrating part was that the wife didn't want to call PEA when I asked her too, this was 12 hours later, e.g. 11am, her excuse was we cannot tell them what to do, they know of the problem, how so I said, are you a mind reader, and that is when I served her with volley of my frustration, a freezer full of top notch food and two fridges packed to the brim, 20k-30k baht worth of stuff. I said in a calm voice, so to speak, either you ring them and find out what is happening, or you can compensate me the 20k-30k if the food goes off, because this is not good enough, I need to know that they know there is a problem, this is what we farangs do, it's called communication and confirmation. 

She was on the phone within minutes, I said what did they say and she had the audacity to say, that the man said thank you for letting him know because know one told them the power in the village was out and they will send someone over as soon as possible ????

My take on why those little one second blips happens if because of the workmanship, remember where you are man, appreciate your frustrations though, happens at least once a day here.

My wife normally leaves the call for 15 minutes or so before she rings in. I have called them as well and though they speak little or no English I tell them the moo ban and they do understand that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would have thought this would be an object lesson in not having too many eggs in one basket, but perhaps your village does not have a morning and evening market where fresh food is available.

The most we would lose in a prolonged power failure would be 500 baht.

• Haha 1

When you switch AC source it must be in sync - can take time and effort to do correctly.  Here in Bangkok most of the one second outages occur on holidays and weekends when normal workers are off and 2nd string are at bat.  As said a UPS helps a lot and is not that expensive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

I have several UPS units around the house, a small one for my main ISP router and separate units for the main computers I use.

The only issue I have is you can't stop the things from beeping constantly during a power outage.

But a 10Kw Genset is needed as well. Trying to find a proper supplier. Difficult.

Edited by Boomer6969

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

and that is when I served her with volley of my frustration, a freezer full of top notch food and two fridges packed to the brim, 20k-30k baht worth of stuff. I said in a calm voice, so to speak, either you ring them and find out what is happening, or you can compensate me the 20k-30k if the food goes off,

Was that to compensate for 4Your Ego.

Where do you expect your loving wife would get the money to compensate for aforesaid 20-30k Bhts worth of food. Must be a big 4ing freezer.

Sorry Lacessit, didn't mean you.

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You could have called yourself, it is called communication????

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would have thought this would be an object lesson in not having too many eggs in one basket, but perhaps your village does not have a morning and evening market where fresh food is available.

The most we would lose in a prolonged power failure would be 500 baht.

We do have a all day and evening market that sell fresh produce, but imported meats, fish, cheese and the like you can't get within a hours drive, so when we go to Makro, VillaMart, Tops or other places we stock up.

The above said, we eat well and the wife is a chef (unqualified) but can cook a variety of European dishes to die for, as for the local market, yes we buy what fresh veggies/fruits we need, but things are limited to what we all like, besides we are a big family and rather than miss out on items we like when we do go shopping, we will buy 2-3-4 of those items that need to be put in the freezer.

• Like 1