Lawn Mowers

i hope a few members have a  lawn mower, or know what machines actually are worth buying

i have 800 sqm of lovely lush noi noi grass that is a pain to whipper snip every week

i have found a genuine ? honda mower for about 30 k, ouch.

the other contenders are generic brands that have a honda motor around 15 k

and a daewoo for about 10 k

your thoughts , comments, suggestions appreciated...

Recommend Briggs n Stratton Raptor, 10k various models upto 14k.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.S9PIx

Also Honda at 14 -16k 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.S98CL

All available on Lazada.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.S996A

This one also has Briggs &Stratton engine and good reviews

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.S9l2M

This brand also has the only Electric start mower I have seen here @17k

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.S9lWz

• Like 1

Half a Rai is not that big and you can probably get by with a cheaper mower with a Honda engine.

Be prepared though for the general crappiness of the Non-Honda parts such as control cables, blades, wheels, the deck etc.  Patco is probably the best of the local brands I have come across as they do a model with an aluminium deck of reasonable quality.  Patco blades are made of cheese but at least they are cheap.

The Honda HRJ216, which I assume is what you are talking about at around 30K, is a great mower and high quality in all respects.  Be aware though that it is pretty heavy at around 48kg and that the blades are hideously expensive if you buy them in Thailand.

I use a Honda HRJ216 as a back up to an imported Honda ride on mower.  Any parts I need for the ride on have to be sourced from abroad which is why I have a back up.  I source the blades for the HRJ from Australia where you can buy tradesmen's packs of genuine blades for sensible money.  Bought this way the blades are one sixth the price you will pay in Thailand.  One set of blades will last years.  I have about three Rai of lawn to cut in total. 

• Like 2

If you want to spend 30k you could also look at a Husqvana. I have a Polo bought from KTW for under 10k to do 3 rai. Some of the fittings are a bit rough but you are only cutting grass. The only problem is that is a bit hard to start, so no good if your wife is doing the mowing.

1 hour ago, jensmann said:

This is the best you can get.

Honda engine. Last forever. 3 Rai in 5 hours.

Blades in any watsadu. Baht 12,000.

All others are toys for English lawns. Trust me.

See image.

20150810_164005.jpg

Curious do you have to rake up all the clippings or you just leave?

1 hour ago, transam said:

Many years back I bought a mower with Honda GXV160 engine for about 14k, at that time the only shop I could find that sold them.

The shell rusted away in short order, no primer before painting, the handle was of such poor material it snapped off, but the engine is still A1.

I still have it, stripped it down, stripped the paint off, cut rust out and patched the shell. Primered with special metal paint, then can sprayed red. Local metal railing's workshop bent to shape a new handle out of stout tube, new cable, old style throttle lever from Lazada, works a treat.

Sooooo, unless you are a bit of a handyman, I would avoid a cheap mower even if it has a Honda motor....:stoner: 

I had exactly the same experience with TWO of those mowers, the wheel bearings are also a problem being some kind of really cheap pressed in rubbish that rusts up and you end up with wobbly wheels, I gave both machines away and bought this guy for B110,000 never looked back after three years.

I have seen MTD lawn tractors on Lazada for as low as B90,000

Ride2.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topt said:

Curious do you have to rake up all the clippings or you just leave?

I leave my clippings. I would go for the Briggs and Stratton, self drive, side Shute, or use the bag collector, and spares are available. I brought a Bison mower much the same and no spares available, I even had o make my own single cutting blade.

31 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I had exactly the same experience with TWO of those mowers, the wheel bearings are also a problem being some kind of really cheap pressed in rubbish that rusts up and you end up with wobbly wheels, I gave both machines away and bought this guy for B110,000 never looked back after three years.

Ride2.JPG

That mower would cover my lawn.................:stoner:....................????

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jvs said:

Our lawn mower is 15 years old,the Honda engine is.

The rest has been replaced and improved,bigger wheels with bearings and one swivel wheel in the front.

From lifting the machine around all of the trees and plants the deck cracked so we fixed that also.

Has been going like this for over 5 years,change oil on time and grease the wheel bearings and good to go.

IMG_20220822_084433.jpg

IMG_20220822_084440.jpg

IMG_20220822_084451.jpg

Mine is about 12 years old now.....

Mower.jpg.1283acb2a7770156a4c6a61c365754ae.jpg

• Like 1

Ask the farmers (who have cows) in your area to do it for you.

Just say to them, you cut the grass and you keep the grass,

They will be happy to do it, because in this period it's a struggle for some to find grass for their cows.

Ps: This Will not work of course if you want a nice "manicured Lawn"

49 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Have seen them down to B55000 at various times at other places. Have been looking at them for a couple of years and would be great in dry season. It is so wet up here at the moment that the 40kg push mower sinks into the ground, let alone one of those at 200kg+, + rider.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Mine is about 12 years old now.....

Mower.jpg.1283acb2a7770156a4c6a61c365754ae.jpg

Mine is a lot better!I have air tires so i can adjust the pressure as needed!Lol.

Yes good old Honda,your lawn must be a bit smaller.

garden 2013.jpg

achter huis.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Ask the farmers (who have cows) in your area to do it for you.

Just say to them, you cut the grass and you keep the grass,

They will be happy to do it, because in this period it's a struggle for some to find grass for their cows.

Ps: This Will not work of course if you want a nice "manicured Lawn"

.............or cow pat's....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

.............or cow pat's....????

Don't get the Cows in, just the farmers ????

In our old village I asked the neighbour to put his cows in our Garden to eat the grass and my wife said "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and when I asked why she said "Cow Pats". So I had the neighbour cut the grass and feed it to his cows instead

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honda and Toro all day every day.

If you're really well heeled then John Deere also make superb movers from small hand pushed to ride ons.

I was a professional landscaper way back and had a maintenance division in my company so I can speak from daily use of such machines.

You can buy Chinese parallel versions under the Toro brand but they use thinner gauge metals in the body, poorer chrome etc and won't last as long so false economy in my books to the full priced versions.

If you're getting on and don't look forward to the humid work of pushing your mower invest in a self propelled - worth every dollar spent.

The old adage is; if you buy cheap you get what you pay for.

Also electric start is a good idea if you're getting older and still want to be able to garden.

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

Honda and Toro all day every day.

If you're really well heeled then John Deere also make superb movers from small hand pushed to ride ons.

What kind of engines does the John Deere use?