How do I not get ripped off condo hunting?

On 8/24/2022 at 10:49 PM, Brian Nose said:

What's the best, cheapest way to rent a condo (avoiding agent fees etc)? Where do I start?

Even if you ask directly at the counter of the building that doesn't mean the owner won't pay a commission. Sometimes/often the people behind the counter collect the commission. And if the owner doesn't want to give them a commission, then they conveniently forget that that unit exist. Welcome to Thailand!

And obviously any information about free units with phone number might be from the owner or an agent. You just don't know. And also shops etc. in those buildings charge the same commission.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:52 PM, Sparktrader said:

Id stay near ibis riverside. Condos near there. Nice spot. Easy to use ferry n skytrain.

Personally I would try to stay as close as possible to where you mostly spend your day or night. 

And if work in A but go regular out at night in B then I suggest try to find something in B.

Obviously it is annoying to get to work every day. But it even more annoying to have a long way after you go out at night.

Even in lower Sukhumvit you can get reasonable prices. Just don't look only at the first and new buildings in the soi. A few hundred meter into the soi (easy with motorcycle taxis) are prices often a lot better.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I would try to stay as close as possible to where you mostly spend your day or night. 

And if work in A but go regular out at night in B then I suggest try to find something in B.

Obviously it is annoying to get to work every day. But it even more annoying to have a long way after you go out at night.

Even in lower Sukhumvit you can get reasonable prices. Just don't look only at the first and new buildings in the soi. A few hundred meter into the soi (easy with motorcycle taxis) are prices often a lot better.

Sound advice. I want to be near a BTS around popular spots - Sism, Asoke (for my Terminal 21 lazy dates).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Even if you ask directly at the counter of the building that doesn't mean the owner won't pay a commission. Sometimes/often the people behind the counter collect the commission. And if the owner doesn't want to give them a commission, then they conveniently forget that that unit exist. Welcome to Thailand!

And obviously any information about free units with phone number might be from the owner or an agent. You just don't know. And also shops etc. in those buildings charge the same commission.

I've just accepted a commission will be taken. I don't really see anything wrong with that system anyway tbh.

30 minutes ago, Brian Nose said:

I've just accepted a commission will be taken. I don't really see anything wrong with that system anyway tbh.

If you rent, then the commission is obviously not your money - but I am sure every owner would be happy if they don't have to pay any commission to anyone.

I have to admit some time ago I thought those people behind the counter, who get paid to work in that building, should provide that information as part of their job.

It seems many think otherwise...

1 hour ago, Brian Nose said:

If an agent shows me around a condo that costs 19k pm, where does his commission come from? Am I paying 19k instead of 18k?

The last condo we rented, when we still rented condos, was a 1 bedroom at The Base in Pattaya.  The agent brought the client and it was a 1 year contract at 25,000 baht a month.  The agent took the first month's rent as his fee.  Tenant had nothing to do with the agent's fee, we paid it.  Tenant paid rent, internet/cable, water, and electric.  We paid the condo monthly maintenance fee.   We were happy to pay the agent's fee as this was a corporate rental--the company paid the rent each month like clock work and the tenant didn't trash the place since it wouldn't look too good with the company.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brian Nose said:

Sound advice. I want to be near a BTS around popular spots - Sism, Asoke (for my Terminal 21 lazy dates).

100% get a place near the BTS, you're right by all the stores, getting a condo down a soi sucks and makes going out a hassle, some condos have a shuttle but that only runs every hour usually and getting to and back to the condo is a hassle, plus walking in the rain Is no beuno. I usually take grab taxi's anyways but the stores are all at sukhumvit road (the BTS). 

along pleonchit/asoke/nana theres Hyde 13, noble pleonchit and Ashton asoke, I think Hyde 13 and noble pleonchit both connect to the BTS. Siam paragon is a better date spot than terminal 21 by the way, movie theatre, bowling alley, aquarium, but I found central embassy has nicer restaurants 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Nose said:

If an agent shows me around a condo that costs 19k pm, where does his commission come from? Am I paying 19k instead of 18k?

typically the landlord pays the agent 1 month's rent as his commission. 

I.e if you're paying 19k for the condo then the landlord will give 19k to the agent for closing the deal, sometimes the agent will give you a discount of some of the commission if you close the deal quick, so you'd get the condo for 18.5k a month. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 6:52 PM, Sparktrader said:

Book a cheap guesthouse first for 5 nights. Then walk around and look.

Id stay near ibis riverside. Condos near there. Nice spot. Easy to use ferry n skytrain.

Yes, some nice condos there, one opposite actually. Airs better too and Siam Icon not far .

• 3 weeks later...