How do I not get ripped off condo hunting?

You can choose different buildings you are interested in and make inquiries by contacting them. 
Using rental websites,  the information is sometimes outdated. 
If you use an agent the owner pays the fee. 

Find a condo that has a bulletin board on display with the owners advertising their units.

While there, look for other owners/renters in the lobby/common/pool area and ask them about the property.

The condo manager will know about rentals but often only show you the crummy units where the owner is offering a commission.

Edited by LarrySR

9 hours ago, problemfarang said:

I would say just walk around, look around and ask prices.. 

Try to avoid paying 2 or 3 month deposit. I hate that. 

Also you are looking at the most expensive areas, i would look other areas. They are cheaper and really easy to reach the area you want

If you have transportation, I would price condos outside the tourist zone, around  the moat, aka old town. You may find better deals around super highway 21. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, featography said:

If you have transportation, I would price condos outside the tourist zone, around  the moat, aka old town. You may find better deals around super highway 21. 

they are talking about Bkk not CM - and I think you are referring to hwy 11 - not that it matters 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Frenske said:

Just one question. Do you as a renter have to pay for the service charge /maintenance fee or is it usually included in the rent?

Depends on the landlord. For me personally I include it in my apartment rentals, but usually do 50/50 on my house rentals. I have standard contracts (that I made myself) and just massage them a bit for each new tenant and circumstance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frenske said:

Just one question. Do you as a renter have to pay for the service charge /maintenance fee or is it usually included in the rent?

I’ve never had to pay any maintenance or service charge fees, only bills I pay is water and electric and the landlord takes care of the rest. 

I remember I saw a bill for 30k baht in the app for the condo and turns out it was an annual fee the landlord had to pay. Kind of made me wonder how much money they make on these rentals, I was renting for a really good price. Probably enough to cover mortgage and a bit more 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:
13 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Be Dominant..Show em who's Boss, as per your own advice.....dont be "soft" as you say..

Yeah show them who’s boss and see how far you get ????

Sticky's a comedian... he sees it as his position to bring levity to the masses....   sometimes gets upset when people don’t like his jokes and ends up calling them Jerks..  which is somewhat aggressive for someone who claims to bring levity to the masses !!!...

Anyway....   I’m pretty sure he meant the opposite of what he wrote....   funny, eh ? :whistling:

45 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I’ve never had to pay any maintenance or service charge fees, only bills I pay is water and electric and the landlord takes care of the rest. 

I remember I saw a bill for 30k baht in the app for the condo and turns out it was an annual fee the landlord had to pay. Kind of made me wonder how much money they make on these rentals, I was renting for a really good price. Probably enough to cover mortgage and a bit more 

Agreed...  maintenance fees are paid by the lessor (landlord). 

That said, in the past I have agreed that any repair for damage caused by myself is paid for by myself. 

Any repairs for equipment which failed on its own the landlord covers (i.e. of the cooker / water heater / AC fails etc). 

Anything less than an expected cost of 1000 Baht the lessee pays (its just easier). 

Ensure that AC servicing is agreed upon in a lease - i.e. AC is serviced every 6 months, either by the Landlord or paid for by the lessee - no big deal, just ensure you know where you stand so you are not arguing when your AC needs a clean etc.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Brian Nose said:

I'm arriving in BKK next week. Going condo hunting on my own. Looking at Life Sukhumvit and a few others.

What's the best, cheapest way to rent a condo (avoiding agent fees etc)? Where do I start?

A good place to start is with advice on location etc.

Explain what you are looking for etc...  Your age, work requirements, transport requirements etc..

i.e. someone in their 20’s early 30’s with regular online income, looking for nightlife, without a car may want a Condo somewhere near Thonglor, Phrompong or On Nut etc...   But if they have a regular job they may want to live in an area closer to work etc.. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, problemfarang said:

I would say just walk around, look around and ask prices.. 

Try to avoid paying 2 or 3 month deposit. I hate that. 

Also you are looking at the most expensive areas, i would look other areas. They are cheaper and really easy to reach the area you want

Good luck doing the walk.

Condos is sold through agents and developers offices so better look for the companies with good reputation. Google is your friend

5 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I didn't know Bangkok had a moat.

Bangkok hasn't got a moat but there are a few royal enclaves around the Dusit area that have a pretty substantial sized moat and they have military guard posts on the inner side of the moat. It's worth a walk around them and it is a great area for runners because the military must maintain the footpath/cycle path area in case someone important wants to take a stroll. 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sticky's a comedian... he sees it as his position to bring levity to the masses....   sometimes gets upset when people don’t like his jokes and ends up calling them Jerks..  which is somewhat aggressive for someone who claims to bring levity to the masses !!!...

Anyway....   I’m pretty sure he meant the opposite of what he wrote....   funny, eh ? :whistling:

is your arm sore from making you read my posts?   i cant have a position or opinion?

Yep jerks are people that complain about someone when they have the option to simply ignore them, but chooses to post anyway just to moan about them.......tissues are at 7-11

Anyway.....

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...  maintenance fees are paid by the lessor (landlord). 

That said, in the past I have agreed that any repair for damage caused by myself is paid for by myself. 

Any repairs for equipment which failed on its own the landlord covers (i.e. of the cooker / water heater / AC fails etc). 

Anything less than an expected cost of 1000 Baht the lessee pays (its just easier). 

Ensure that AC servicing is agreed upon in a lease - i.e. AC is serviced every 6 months, either by the Landlord or paid for by the lessee - no big deal, just ensure you know where you stand so you are not arguing when your AC needs a clean etc.

I usually just let the deposit cover any damages (it's usually wear and tear sort of stuff, like a scratch or something on the wall or floor), I usually go into a contract thinking I won't get that 1 month deposit back anyways because sometimes I leave early and its not much to be honest after things like cleaning/ac cleaning, usually the contracts I've seen say the tenant has to pay for ac cleaning before leaving. I figure if I pay to fix something and then they try keeping the deposit I'm paying twice. The landlords have been pretty cool though in my experience. The condos in Bangkok have been pretty low quality too in my opinion so it's kind of bound for stuff to break, I was in a brand new condo in Pleonchit a year ago in a nice area, won't name it because of Thailand being notorious for defamation but the condo was so poorly built, water leaked sometimes in the windows (numerous units said this in the group chat), the flooring cracked, walls cracked (in the corners), etc. condo is a few years old. 

There were a few instances that I have seen some really shady landlords, I didn't eventually renting from them. The good old show you one condo online and when you view it they show you another which is inferior is always annoying, I never end up renting from those agents. 

I usually do a walk around video recording of the unit when I move in and move out, I have never experienced a landlord claiming I damaged something I didn't in Thailand but enough stories about that stuff online for me to do it cause it takes a few minutes.