Money stolen through bank app. Chances of getting back with police?

On 8/25/2022 at 2:15 PM, banagan said:

I reported the phone stolen with my bank, went into the branch, added the bank app to my new phone, which took a bunch of red tape. They told me the app can only be used on my phone, impossible from another, stolen phone. Apparently not.

Was the money taken before or after this happened - adding the app to your new phone?

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 2:11 PM, banagan said:

I think most of you didn't read the part where I went into my bank branch, canceled the app on the stolen phone, installed on a new phone. The bank told me it is impossible to use another phone to use their app.

But you didn't ask the bank staff what the chances were of the money being refunded?    No point, I suppose, when there's Thaivisa!

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 2:42 AM, banagan said:

Didn't give my pw to anyone. Pw was my date of birth, which they must have figured from my phone before I wiped it with google find my phone. This shouldn't matter, as I canceled the phone with my bank, the only way to add app to my new phone. Bank assured me the app can only work on one phone at a time, which is why I didn't think they could possibly get in. 

Can we keep this thread related to the original question please?

Champers question ("Did you give your password to someone?") is highly relevant to your original question, which was:

"My phone was stolen and bank app was compromised, had money transferred to some Thai guy. Police gave me a report to give to my bank to investigate further, I guess to get the full name and a/c number. So, they'll have all the details of the guy who received the stolen money. What are the chances of having this returned? "

You used a dumbass password, so that significantly reduces your chances ... to about zero.

On 8/25/2022 at 3:24 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:

As an  aside  I refuse to  have any information on my  mobile  phone which I rarely  use  anyway, its there for an emergency  call only nothing else,as  far as Im concerned  mobile  phones   are an awful idea for any security and  seem wide  open to problems, who the hell wants to  carry  around something easily  lost with all their  private  info  on.

My phone banking apps have facial and fingerprint recognition.

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Chris.B said:

My phone banking apps have facial and fingerprint recognition.

That high risk what if your GF of the night decides to cut of your finger..... did you think about that. Your not paranoid enough to be on Thaivisa ????

I think anyone who sets a good password on his phone and a different one be it fingerprint or facial or again an other password for the banking app is relatively safe.. (if they dont show their passwords off to others)