Money stolen through bank app. Chances of getting back with police?

My phone was stolen and bank app was compromised, had money transferred to some Thai guy. Police gave me a report to give to my bank to investigate further, I guess to get the full name and a/c number.

So, they'll have all the details of the guy who received the stolen money. What are the chances of having this returned? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, champers said:

Your account was "compromised". Please clarify. Did you give your password to someone?

Didn't give my pw to anyone. Pw was my date of birth, which they must have figured from my phone before I wiped it with google find my phone. This shouldn't matter, as I canceled the phone with my bank, the only way to add app to my new phone. Bank assured me the app can only work on one phone at a time, which is why I didn't think they could possibly get in. 

Can we keep this thread related to the original question please?

Edited by banagan
edit

ZERO, in short the Police  will probaly  tell you  like they told my Wife recently that they have too many cases  and will do  nothing, then the banlk wil  tell you its the Polices  job and  not their  problem......welcome to  Thailand, 

My Wife  had the id  card  of the woman who laundered  the  money, she  got 1000  baht of   8000 stolen, they pay people to use the ir  facebook  accounts and other id, this was a  facebook scam in her  case.

As an  aside  I refuse to  have any information on my  mobile  phone which I rarely  use  anyway, its there for an emergency  call only nothing else,as  far as Im concerned  mobile  phones   are an awful idea for any security and  seem wide  open to problems, who the hell wants to  carry  around something easily  lost with all their  private  info  on.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

How did they steal your phone? Or did you lose the phone and someone found it. Its up to the bank if they want to recover your funds. Was the money transferred after you notified the bank?

Its up to the police to pursue the theft of the phone and the money. Chance are slim they will chase it unless there was a significant amount lost. 

First time I've heard of something like this, they found phone, was able to get in and access app and add new payee, unlikely to get money back but keep trying. You should have frozen or closed the account after the first fraudulent transfer

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

as  far as Im concerned  mobile  phones   are an awful idea for any security and  seem wide  open to problems,

I think you are wrong about that, since phones are much more secure than your PC or your little red ledger

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

so your phone was stolen ... 

does that mean you were drunk and left it on the bar or table?

they accessed your phone with your pin number ?  how ?

then they accessed your banking app with your DoB ?

if you didn't leave the phone in a bar .. i'd check with the gf's thai bf .

chances are near zero of getting your money back but ....  hey'    go ask the bank.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

I think you are wrong about that, since phones are much more secure than your PC or your little red ledger

Phones are used wherever you are, outside the home. PCs are , usually, static, in your house. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pooreye said:

I think the bank will flat out refuse to reimburse the OP if the story is true... 

1. The phone got stolen!

2. The thief managed to crack the pin to open phone!!

3. AND he cracked the bank app pin too!!!

I reported the phone stolen with my bank, went into the branch, added the bank app to my new phone, which took a bunch of red tape. They told me the app can only be used on my phone, impossible from another, stolen phone. Apparently not.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, banagan said:

I reported the phone stolen with my bank, went into the branch, added the bank app to my new phone, which took a bunch of red tape. They told me the app can only be used on my phone, impossible from another, stolen phone. Apparently not.

sure the website wasn't used rather than the app?

On 8/25/2022 at 2:26 AM, banagan said:

My phone was stolen and bank app was compromised, had money transferred to some Thai guy. Police gave me a report to give to my bank to investigate further, I guess to get the full name and a/c number.

So, they'll have all the details of the guy who received the stolen money. What are the chances of having this returned? 

I don't see how the bank is at fault here, so I'd guess you'll need to recover those funds from the thief.

On 8/25/2022 at 5:46 AM, scubascuba3 said:

First time I've heard of something like this, they found phone, was able to get in and access app and add new payee, unlikely to get money back but keep trying. You should have frozen or closed the account after the first fraudulent transfer

Yes losing a phone with banking apps is dangerous. But most people have a password on their phone and one on their banking app. I got two different passwords of course. 

I wonder how they figured out his birth date. Maybe it was someone he knew otherwise how to figure out his birth date.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe it was someone he knew otherwise how to figure out his birth date.

This guy seems so forgetful it was probably written down on a piece of paper tucked inside the phone case.