Driver surrenders to police and is fined 5,000 baht by court after nearly killing "Whitey" at NE Big C

webfact

11 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Avoid how? The dog is in the middle of the driveway, there is no going around it if it decides not to move. I don't say it should be run over, but what is definitely ridiculous is the way that dogs own the roads in this country. Driving around them is what people do, and it only reinforces the sense of "my road, my home" in the dog.

Also amazing how in case of the dog causing an accident, nobody owns the dog. But if it's the dog being hurt, suddenly half a dozen people appear for compensation.

You are only succeeding in illustrating your inability to solve simple problems.

I can simply stop, get out of the car and shoo the dog along. I am not so rushed that I cannot take the few seconds necessary.

The dog is lying next to a sleeping policeman in a private driveway. So you are supposed to be moving slowly until your reach the public road.

If you cannot take the time to slow down and take care, look into yourself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You are only succeeding in illustrating your inability to solve simple problems.

I can simply stop, get out of the car and shoo the dog along. I am not so rushed that I cannot take the few seconds necessary.

The dog is lying next to a sleeping policeman in a private driveway. So you are supposed to be moving slowly until your reach the public road.

If you cannot take the time to slow down and take care, look into yourself.

Of course. Common sense.

11 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Avoid how? The dog is in the middle of the driveway, there is no going around it if it decides not to move. I don't say it should be run over, but what is definitely ridiculous is the way that dogs own the roads in this country. Driving around them is what people do, and it only reinforces the sense of "my road, my home" in the dog.

Also amazing how in case of the dog causing an accident, nobody owns the dog. But if it's the dog being hurt, suddenly half a dozen people appear for compensation.

I didn't miss the irony of the only person liking your post being a jaywalker ????

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

I didn't miss the irony of the only person liking your post being a jaywalker ????

Given the subject and the positions from which you are both presenting your debate that would actually be some from or ‘reverse irony’ !!! ????

I wonder how many people are ‘very nearly’ involved in incidents such as this ?

We all know we ‘should’ stop and wait until we are 100% sure the dog is out of the road. 

But realistically, we all know that dogs are streetsmart.... Thus when driving down a quiet soi or a back-country road and there is a dog sleeping in the middle we pap our horn and slow, expecting the dog to move....  the dog always moves so we always ‘assume’ the dog has moved... only this time in the example of this thread, the dog didn’t move. 

What about other animals? rabbits? cats? pigeons ??.... where do we draw the line for stopping, getting out of the car and looking to ensure with 100% certainty that the animal has moved away ??? 

Is it only dogs that we ’should’ stop for ? 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 3:22 PM, JulesMad said:

Dog is NOT on a leash and in the public space, and as such has NO rights and is basically unprotected; free to attack people and lie in the middle of the road. If it gets killed, som nam na. Owner does not take responsibility, so he should shut up.

Are you sure the dog was lying 

My dog often goes out of view when i enter or leave my property, normally following the front near side in a blind spot, i just hope i never run over him i just keep going slowly hoping his not that daft to go under a wheel. The cat is even worse it will somehow climb up into the engine bay and sleeps on top of the air cleaner, ahh runs like <deleted>@k when i start the engine. True.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:59 PM, fittobethaied said:

If this dog was so well known by the Big C employees, they should have made arrangements for the dog to rest and sun bathe in a safer location. Instead they allow the dog to be an annoyance to their customers and put the dog and others in harm's way. The same thing happens at the front door of every 7/11 store. Customers have to walk around these feral dogs and risk either being bitten or falling on slippery tiles and other obstacles outside the front door, and the employees do absolutely nothing about it. It's disgusting!

It's hardly  disgusting  it's actually  mercy. The dogs like the air con. Anyway it's not the shop assistants' job to regulate street dogs. You do it if it upsets you so much!

Lost count of the number of dogs which are sleeping in the road and do not move until you are a metre away, and out of sight; also dogs running across the road in front of the car. Only hit 3 dogs so far, 2 at very low speeds, third ran into the radiator grill (running at high speed). When your car gets damaged, no one owns the dog .....

Dog catchers could make a living keeping the sois clear. 24 hours to collect or it's soup!

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

Many mammals are being slaughtered everyday in Thailand and people don't find that cruel?

Right, you can bet your life the 'animal loving' girlfriend of the driver so upset scoffs down dead ones on a regular basis. The only difference between say a pig and a dog is that the pig is cleaner and more intelligent. 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 9:21 AM, Dellboy218 said:

And what of the dog owners?  How many of them leave their dogs to wander in the road to cause accidents. One of the biggest dangers to life and limb on Thai roads to motorcyclists is dogs.   

He still didnt see the dog   so  he need his eyes tested

2 hours ago, actonion said:

He still didnt see the dog   so  he need his eyes tested

So youve asked him then? I wouldnt get out either, you are likely to get hit by another vehicle.  If its on a corner entrance another car comes along and bang.  Your fault for stopping!

Edited by Dellboy218

On 8/27/2022 at 7:26 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Given the subject and the positions from which you are both presenting your debate that would actually be some from or ‘reverse irony’ !!! ????

I wonder how many people are ‘very nearly’ involved in incidents such as this ?

We all know we ‘should’ stop and wait until we are 100% sure the dog is out of the road. 

But realistically, we all know that dogs are streetsmart.... Thus when driving down a quiet soi or a back-country road and there is a dog sleeping in the middle we pap our horn and slow, expecting the dog to move....  the dog always moves so we always ‘assume’ the dog has moved... only this time in the example of this thread, the dog didn’t move. 

What about other animals? rabbits? cats? pigeons ??.... where do we draw the line for stopping, getting out of the car and looking to ensure with 100% certainty that the animal has moved away ??? 

Is it only dogs that we ’should’ stop for ? 

This article is about a relatively large old dog, sleeping in front of a 'sleeping policeman' in a private driveway of a supermarket car park.

Please address the facts as opposed to presenting a 'straw man' argument.

I'm not interested in debating your silly made up scenarios.

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

This article is about a relatively large old dog, sleeping in front of a 'sleeping policeman' in a private driveway of a supermarket car park.

Please address the facts as opposed to presenting a 'straw man' argument.

I'm not interested in debating your silly made up scenarios.

Its not a private drive way.

While the land on which a supermarket is placed may be privately owned, it is a public space, in this case this was a public-road. 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not a private drive way.

While the land on which a supermarket is placed may be privately owned, it is a public space, in this case this was a public-road. 

There is a sleeping policeman there for a reason; it means slow down/drive slowly.

If you are not sure the dog has moved, check. Takes a second or two.

If you are an impatient idiot, there may be consequences for such behaviour.

22 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

So youve asked him then? I wouldnt get out either, you are likely to get hit by another vehicle.  If its on a corner entrance another car comes along and bang.  Your fault for stopping!

Your fault for stopping (lol) reminds me of an accident i was involved in......While driving  my pick up a Thai driver smashed into the rear of my pick up, he had  no insurance 75,000b damage to my vehicle, police and my insurance were called ...  the police blamed me for stopping too quick,  in an emergency braking situation,     and  insurance agreed with them <deleted>..

25 minutes ago, actonion said:

Your fault for stopping (lol) reminds me of an accident i was involved in......While driving  my pick up a Thai driver smashed into the rear of my pick up, he had  no insurance 75,000b damage to my vehicle, police and my insurance were called ...  the police blamed me for stopping too quick,  in an emergency braking situation,     and  insurance agreed with them <deleted>..

Yes Indeed it happens and whilst I wouldn't like to hit a dog ( in 30 odd years I've only hit a chicken and a pigeon) I would like an accident with another vehicle even less.  I have front and back cameras on car and bike, it pays to protect yourself!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

There is a sleeping policeman there for a reason; it means slow down/drive slowly.

If you are not sure the dog has moved, check. Takes a second or two.

If you are an impatient idiot, there may be consequences for such behaviour.

Yes... impatience is one facet of this issue.

The other is of course, that every time there is a dog in the road (and its not uncommon), as you slow down and approach the ‘dog moves off’....   in this case the dog didn’t move off, the driver made a horrible mistake. 

But.. this is not as if the driver was speeding down the road, flying over speed bumps and hit a dog.

The dog was lying in the muddle of the road and didn’t move out of the way when usually they do because dogs which are lying in the road are usually far more street-wise. 

3 hours ago, actonion said:

That was merely the police and insurance guy following the path of least resistance...

You weren’t really blamed, it was just easier for everyone involved to have your insurance pay for your car rather than chase up an uninsured poor person who’s not going to be able to afford to pay for the damage anyway. 

I’ve been in a similar situation with an uninsured vehicle, but refused to accept blame for the other vehicle too, only accepting 50/50 so my insurance would pay for my car.  The other guy was feigning injury so I didn’t want there to be any doubt about my responsibility towards him or have to fight off any compensation claims. The other guy was ultimately shouted out of the police station !!... 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes... impatience is one facet of this issue.

The other is of course, that every time there is a dog in the road (and its not uncommon), as you slow down and approach the ‘dog moves off’....   in this case the dog didn’t move off, the driver made a horrible mistake. 

But.. this is not as if the driver was speeding down the road, flying over speed bumps and hit a dog.

The dog was lying in the muddle of the road and didn’t move out of the way when usually they do because dogs which are lying in the road are usually far more street-wise. 

Maybe it was ill. Who knows? Either way, we all have the responsibility to do the best we can in every situation.

Driver let himself down by being lazy and making an erroneous 'assumption'.

• Sad 1