Thai ID card after PR

19 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

PR holders need to be entered in blue book, not yellow book.

Ok then the book is blue, but I believed that Blue is for Thai Nationals.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

Local Ampher will issue the card but it wont be a blue Thai ID, it will be a Pink non-Thai ID card. PR gets the same ID card as expats, migrant workers, stateless etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Special Branch in Bangkok is a place where you apply for Naturalization process, Nationality Section,

Amphur only issue Thai ID card to Foreigners who already go through all the process by Special Branch and Ministry of interior.
Special Branch is your First Step.

35 minutes ago, Honkie said:

If my name already in the Blue House registration book and they have a number next to my name. So I can just go to the amphur to get a pink ID card? What other documents needed? 

That is correct. Take your Blue House registration blue and your PR booklets to the local Amphur. The red-bown book is most important. Take your passport just in case, but usually that is not necessary. You should be able to get your pink ID card on the spot. 

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Local Ampher will issue the card but it wont be a blue Thai ID, it will be a Pink non-Thai ID card. PR gets the same ID card as expats, migrant workers, stateless etc.

Is a one year retirement visa considered 'expat'? How do we get this pink non-Thai ID for retirees?

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I just updated my pink ID, and you need your PP.  

Me-Non-0-marriage ... PR ? though would think same, PP.

Huh ha you youngens, mines for life, much to the astonishment of any Thais I have shown it to. ????

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Huh ha you youngens, mines for life, much to the astonishment of any Thais I have shown it to. ????

Mines also for life, as I just needed to update address, and no charge for that.

I'll have to return in couple weeks to updated again, due to name change.  That will be the last time.

A little forethought, and could have done both at same time ... ????

And what good is this pink ID card, if at all? I am a PR and managed easy with my driving license and nobody sofar could explain the purpose nor the importance of a pink card ........ All the rest (red police book, blue house register, white residence booklet etc. is clear.

Use to be good to avoid filing TM30s.   As check in with that, and if they did do a TM30, they can't with the pink ID. so Imm didn't know you were out of town.   But that's about it.  Not needed now, since tweaked the law, though I still use.  Less people playing with my PP the better.

8 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Yes you can apply for a Pink Card

What is a Pink ID Card?

This pretty little card is an official form of identification for non-Thai nationals living in Thailand long term. Those with permanent residency, and long-stay expats (O visa, etc) are eligible. The card also provides a form of ID for stateless persons.

How do You Get a Pink ID Card?

To get the ID card you need to have a Thai ID number. The way to obtain this number is by getting the Yellow Book Tabien Baan (see this article).

Basically, you register your place of residence at a local district office and receive a yellow house book with your name listed as an occupant. This book comes with an ID number.

Thai nationals and permanent residents get a blue book with their ID number inside.

Once you have your ID number, you're ready to apply for your Pink ID Card.

Required Documents -

Here's the list of documents that you'll need to take with you to a local district office, known as an amphur. 

Passport (with visa inside): You'll need copies of the photo and visa page, which you'll have to sign.

Your work permit (if you have one)

House registration book ( Blue Tabien Baan in Original)

Marriage certificate (if you have one)

Permanent residency books (if it applies)

Before you receive a Thai ID number to apply for the Pink ID card, first, you must register your place of residence in Thailand with the government. You will get a Thai house book when your registration is approved. You will get a Yellow House Registration book if you are a foreigner who lives and has residency in Thailand, but you will get a Blue House Registration book when you are a permanent resident.

When you have your name present in the yellow or blue house book, you’re ready to apply for the ID card. The next step is to bring your original and a copy of your house book, and other required documents to the District Office, to get an ID number and apply for the pink ID card.

On the day, in addition to your documents, you will require two Thai nationals as witnesses to the application. They will require ID cards to verify their status.

The witnesses will be verified and your documents processed. Once verified, the officer will take a picture for the photo card, and take your fingerprints to put on file.

Cards are usually issued the same day.

How Much Does the Card Cost?

The fee for the Pink ID Card is a very reasonable 60 Baht, and remains valid for 10 years.

When the card expires, simply visit the same district office to renew it. You will have your photograph and fingerprints taken again and be issued with a new card. The renewal fee is 60 Baht.

Getting two Thai nationals to witness is almost impossible. 

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

And what good is this pink ID card, if at all? I am a PR and managed easy with my driving license and nobody sofar could explain the purpose nor the importance of a pink card ........ All the rest (red police book, blue house register, white residence booklet etc. is clear.

How and where did you get your PR in the first place? 

53 minutes ago, BonMot said:

It's worthless. There's nothing that it allows you to do or have that is not available with your passport.

Last time I looked, a passport doesnt contain your address and cant be used as such

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BonMot said:

It's worthless. There's nothing that it allows you to do or have that is not available with your passport.

Banks accept the pink ID card as proof of identity.

In fact they prefer to use your pink card because the number is for life.

Banks prefer the pink card rather than your passport number because passport numbers change when you get a new passport (every 5 / 10 years) you should inform the bank that your passport number has changed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

How and where did you get your PR in the first place? 

It requires 3 yrs of Work Permit, salary of 80k THB a month, tax payments on that salary.

Non B or Non O (Thai Wife ) visa only, salary of 40k THB a month if married to a Thai lady.

PR is applied at Chang Watthana Immigration Office in Bangkok, address here -

Immigration Division 1: Government Complex,

Chang Watthana 7th Alley, Thung Song Hong, Lak Si, Bangkok 10210

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

It requires 3 yrs of Work Permit, salary of 80k THB a month, tax payments on that salary.

Non B or Non O (Thai Wife ) visa only, salary of 40k THB a month if married to a Thai lady.

PR is applied at Chang Watthana Immigration Office in Bangkok, address here -

Immigration Division 1: Government Complex,

Chang Watthana 7th Alley, Thung Song Hong, Lak Si, Bangkok 10210

Those appear to be some of the requirements for Thai citizenship, not PR.  Are you sure that those apply to PR, as in, you must pay tax on X income for three years before you will be eligible for PR?

On 8/26/2022 at 4:22 PM, EricTh said:

Is a one year retirement visa considered 'expat'? How do we get this pink non-Thai ID for retirees?

Why would you want one?

And what is PR?

I'm also intrigued  by the  notion of Pink, Blue and Yellow books but me here for decades has never even considered one. I would prefer Blue if I had the choice because  my vaccination certificate  is yellow

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Yes you can apply for a Pink Card

What is a Pink ID Card?

This pretty little card is an official form of identification for non-Thai nationals living in Thailand long term. Those with permanent residency, and long-stay expats (O visa, etc) are eligible. The card also provides a form of ID for stateless persons.

How do You Get a Pink ID Card?

To get the ID card you need to have a Thai ID number. The way to obtain this number is by getting the Yellow Book Tabien Baan (see this article).

Basically, you register your place of residence at a local district office and receive a yellow house book with your name listed as an occupant. This book comes with an ID number.

Thai nationals and permanent residents get a blue book with their ID number inside.

Once you have your ID number, you're ready to apply for your Pink ID Card.

Required Documents -

Here's the list of documents that you'll need to take with you to a local district office, known as an amphur. 

Passport (with visa inside): You'll need copies of the photo and visa page, which you'll have to sign.

Your work permit (if you have one)

House registration book ( Blue Tabien Baan in Original)

Marriage certificate (if you have one)

Permanent residency books (if it applies)

Before you receive a Thai ID number to apply for the Pink ID card, first, you must register your place of residence in Thailand with the government. You will get a Thai house book when your registration is approved. You will get a Yellow House Registration book if you are a foreigner who lives and has residency in Thailand, but you will get a Blue House Registration book when you are a permanent resident.

When you have your name present in the yellow or blue house book, you’re ready to apply for the ID card. The next step is to bring your original and a copy of your house book, and other required documents to the District Office, to get an ID number and apply for the pink ID card.

On the day, in addition to your documents, you will require two Thai nationals as witnesses to the application. They will require ID cards to verify their status.

The witnesses will be verified and your documents processed. Once verified, the officer will take a picture for the photo card, and take your fingerprints to put on file.

Cards are usually issued the same day.

How Much Does the Card Cost?

The fee for the Pink ID Card is a very reasonable 60 Baht, and remains valid for 10 years.

When the card expires, simply visit the same district office to renew it. You will have your photograph and fingerprints taken again and be issued with a new card. The renewal fee is 60 Baht.

Can I add a little more info regarding "... if you are a foreigner who lives and has residency in Thailand, but you will get a Blue House Registration book when you are a permanent resident."

Folks with Permanent Residency (PR) can be added to the existing dark blue book for the address where they live.

E.g. My Thai adult son is the 'house master' for the blue book for our address. Listed in the book (we call it 'our family Tabien Baan book');

- Thai son

- Son's Thai wife

- Son's three children

- Me

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

My pink ID card was issued at the big Chiang Mai Muang main amphur office, about 5 years ago.

My name was already in our family dark blue Tabien Baan book. My Thai son came with me to the big Chiang Mai muang amohur office in case he needed to sign something because he's the house master for the TB book (just my son trying to be proactive, we had no actual knowledge his signature might/might not be needed. It wasn't, and nothing was mentioned about 2 Thai nationals. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

Totally ignorant comment. I did not need any witnesses as Scorecards experience and in any case staff in the office would witness. Not an issue.