Kratom laws published, cannabis and hemp next

webfact

image.jpeg

By Editor 

The law on kratom trees (Mitragyna speciosa), which seeks to decriminalise kratom leaves and remove them from the list of narcotics in Category 5, has come into force following its publication in the Royal Gazette on Friday.

Two other plants, cannabis and hemp, were decriminalised on June 9th, but the bill on cannabis and hemp, which passed its first reading in the House on June 9th, is still pending with the House scrutiny committee.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told a meeting in Chiang Rai province on August 20th that he expects the bill to be returned to the House for its second and final readings this month (August).

Kratom plants are now considered to be a potential cash crop, worthy of being promoted and developed to boost the grass roots economy. Only the leaves are consumed.

People can now possess, consume and use kratom leaves with impunity, but there are restrictions on the sale, marketing and advertising of the leaves and on leaves blended with other psychotropic substances. Import and export of the leaves both require permission.

According to the law, overuse of kratom leaves may be harmful to the consumer. For the protection of pregnant women, breast-feeding women and those under 18, kratom leaves cannot be sold to these people as leaves or as ingredients in food. Violation is subject to a maximum fine of 30,000 baht on conviction.

Sale of kratom leaves is forbidden at educational institutions, hostels, in public parks, zoos and amusement parks, or in certain areas designated as being “off-limits” by the ministers of justice or public health. Sale of kratom leaves from vending machines is prohibited. Violations are subject to a maximum fine of 50,000 baht on conviction.

Advertising to encourage people to use kratom leaves or leaves mixed with psychotropic substances for recreational purpose is prohibited. Violation is subject to up to two years in prison and/or a maximum fine of 200,000 baht on conviction.

Import or export of kratom leaves without permission is subject to up to one year in prison and/or a maximum fine of 100,000 baht on conviction.

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/08/kratom-laws-published-cannabis-and-hemp-next/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2022-08-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 1

I saw these on sale in my local wet market, including one shop where they appeared to be pounding them into a milky paste for immediate consumption.

I later saw some CBD water on sale from a machine covered with hemp leaf motifs in front of my local Lotus express.

The times, they are a changing ….

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, realfunster said:

The times, they are a changing ….

Indeed they are, never in my life did I think I would be reading a sign in a 7/11 saying the sale of marijuana was prohibited to under aged and  pregnant women !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plus7 said:

The times are changing or better to say "its returning"

Once Britain exported tons of opium to China...

Morphine, heroin could be bought in pharmacies...

The Netherlands used to have a large company dedicated to production and export of cocaine, heroin & morphine in the early 20th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nederlandsche_Cocaïnefabriek

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, KannikaP said:

Are Cannabis and Hemp not different things. Is there any THC in Hemp? Or can you make a shopping bag or rope out of Cannabis?

It depends on the country you are in. Botanically marijuana, cannabis and hemp are the same. Some countries define hemp as being cannabis with very low THC or specific parts of the cannabis plant.

• Thanks 1