New weapons – and precautions – as controls lifted on COVID ‘magic bullets’

webfact

image.jpeg

From Thursday (September 1), COVID-19 patients can buy prescription antiviral medicines from pharmacies, as authorities ease access to weapons against the virus.

“Health agencies are offering easier access to these medications while still guarding the safety of patients,” said Dr. Udom Kachintorn, chair of Thailand’s committee on public health reform.

Pharmacists will be able to fill prescriptions for Favipiravir, Molnupiravir, and Paxlovid. Pharmacies are required to purchase these drugs from importers certified by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and record all sales to customers. The records will be monitored by authorities just like steroid sales.

Licensed suppliers can sell antiviral medicines to hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies in line with the regulations. Prices will not be controlled as the government believes market competition will ensure fairness and affordability.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-weapons-and-precautions-as-controls-lifted-on-covid-magic-bullets/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-08-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You can only take them if they have been prescribed to you by a doctor,” Paisarn said. “So, if you don’t have a prescription, pharmacies will not sell antiviral medicines to you.

Ok, serious question. In over 30 years of going to many different doctors and hospitals in Thailand, I've never seen a prescription - not even once. Do they really exist?

My personal experience has always been that the doctor either dispenses medicine himself (directly at a small clinic, or through the in-house pharmacy at a hospital), or just tells you verbally what you need so you can buy it at an outside pharmacy. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

You can only take them if they have been prescribed to you by a doctor,” Paisarn said. “So, if you don’t have a prescription, pharmacies will not sell antiviral medicines to you.

Ok, serious question. In over 30 years of going to many different doctors and hospitals in Thailand, I've never seen a prescription - not even once. Do they really exist?

My personal experience has always been that the doctor either dispenses medicine himself (directly at a small clinic, or through the in-house pharmacy at a hospital), or just tells you verbally what you need so you can buy it at an outside pharmacy. 

Not at all. Many drugs require a prescription.

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Xanax why are using an emoji to say  you are confused by my simple correct and truthful statement  that: "Many drugs require a prescription."?

What don't  you understand?

It would appear you may be making a statement that applies to other countries, not Thailand.  In Thailand, if the pharmacist has it in stock, you can buy it--no prescription required.  I have never once been asked for a prescription when buying medication at a Thai pharmacy--and I've had decades of experience.  And this includes medications like Thyroxin (thyroid), Itraconazole (a heavy-duty antifungal drug worth nearly $5 per pill, in America, and only available there by prescription), Augmentin (strong antibiotic), medications to control diabetes, etc. 

That said, per this article, it may be that the Thai government is now trying harder to track some drugs--particularly these ones, probably in an attempt to gauge the ongoing extent of covid cases.  For the sake of statistics . . . .

• Thanks 1