Thailand 300 baht entry fee for tourists set to start in early 2023

webfact

8 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Not just insurance, many expats also pay into the Social Welfare health scheme.

Exactly, I forgot about those working. Imagine an employee flying in and out to conduct business in all of the countries in Asia and the west, this could be 4 times a month....

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Did I say anything about a Thai worker....get a grip and read the post.  Many foreign employee's working for companies here, especially in the Insurance industry fly in and out heading to locations outside of Thailand to review the claim and interview folks, they then fly back in.  When I was working for an International Company here I was in and out twice a week and then returning, so that would be 8 trips out and back a month.  It was why I retired completely.  Your view at this point is irrelevant until it is listed in the Royal Gazette....if working and living in Thailand makes one a tourist instead of a long term stayer then their is a problem.....

upnotover said it, but didnt know his name so couldnt reference him, hence guy above that posted above, apologies for any confusion.

• Thanks 1

@Khunjeff was confused, so to break it a bit down: does Khun jeff want to fly to for example Malaysia for 40 USD or 50 USD per one way trip?
As per longer holiday trips (~1000+ USD) the 10 USD extra might be peanuts, but constant travelling with an added 20% "arrival tax" per ticket seems stupid, and doesn't really give anything to anyone except military for spending on submarines without german engines that would rock the shallow waters...

Well, such is life, wonder what the great next tax without any substance might be.

I think for most tourist 300 bt is not an issue. But for principle wise it should be waved for us working here with social security & some private insurance. Plus we pay more taxes than many here. Maybe to wave it on return flights bought this end & proof of work or tax card. Of course also for expats on a non immigrant with proof of insurance. Maybe too much work for them to check so only Thai passports waved.

• Like 1

Consistence!   With their thinking " you got it, you better off "

As noted only for 30 days consistent with length of most Tourist visit? 

Based on the list it seems they have added a couple of new things in the end for medical coverage I hope all Goes well it will be a real surprise six month after the well dries up after claims start to come in the down fall will be their own doing dual pricing mentality. I will be shock they actually pay out.  

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

as noted earlier, IF the implementation is at the Point Of Sale, then it’s most likely going to be included in ALL tickets.. that’s the most straightforward implementation given how air tickets are actually sold and the “behind the scenes” processing (ex: ARC) that takes place.

Yes, it could be set that tickets SOLD in X or Y region might be exempt (ex: some counties have fares that are only for sale within their own borders or for sale to only citizens) but with VPNs it’s hard to effectively do a good job at true geofencing… So, my gut is that it will apply to all non-citizens as programmatically a citizenship is usually part of the initial booking process.  

As far as how to handle non-citizens who might otherwise be exempt goes…. I could see a process whereby IF the law is that certain types of non-citizens are exempt from the fee, Immigration would give the selected non-citizen a QR code or somehow authorized a refund. Then the pax submits said approved refund electronically.

• Like 1