Thailand 300 baht entry fee for tourists set to start in early 2023

webfact

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

If I owned an airline and some country's government comes along and tells me to collect a fee from passengers and transfer the money to them, I would charge that government a collection fee to cover my costs of programming, training, accounting, banking, etc...: probably around 300 baht.

You mean, like the following countries...

UK - Air Passenger Duty - highlighted as the most expensive in the world - Although the actual tax on a long haul flight out of Russia is higher than one out of the UK, the UK charges more on average...

USA - International Departure Tax + International Arrival Tax (separate from their domestic Passenger Ticket Tax) + Customs User Fee + Immigration User Fee (and more - nobody nickels and dimes people like the USA).
Australia - Passenger Movement Charge
Dominican Republic - Airport infrastructure fee + authority fee + departure tax

Bahamas - Airport facility fee + security fee + departure tax
Germany - Air Transport Tax

Norway - Air Passenger Tax

Qatar - Airport Facilities tax

Greece - (fee from specific airports only - those operated by a German company - Fraport).

Italy - Passenger Tax

Jamaica - Departure Tax + "Tourism Enhancement Fee"

Spain - Aviation Tax

Fiji - Departure Tax

Note: I left off other countries with a tax, but where I couldn't find out it's actual name - Russia, Austria, etc.

• Like 1

I Know and remember the 500 baht  tax machine at the airport before u left or thru customs.Later included in the ticket departure.I thought that included something towards insurance tax or health insurance.The 300 baht extra which they say is for a hospital fund for tourist will be a big earner when  tourist return.Don,t know if right but most people do have travel insurance,some don,t of course the reason for begging on go fund me.

Most tourist will see it as a increase in arrival tax and they is not much anyone can do.

20 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Not just insurance, many expats also pay into the Social Welfare health scheme.

What is the Social Welfare health scheme? I have been here in Thailand for 15 years, and never heard of it, or is it also known by another name?

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Did I say anything about a Thai worker....get a grip and read the post.  Many foreign employee's working for companies here, especially in the Insurance industry fly in and out heading to locations outside of Thailand to review the claim and interview folks, they then fly back in.  When I was working for an International Company here I was in and out twice a week and then returning, so that would be 8 trips out and back a month.  It was why I retired completely.  Your view at this point is irrelevant until it is listed in the Royal Gazette....if working and living in Thailand makes one a tourist instead of a long term stayer then their is a problem.....

Normally, if you take a trip abroad for work purposes, your ticket will be paid by your employer. As the 300B will be part of the trip costs, I don't see the issue for the employee.

I agree that how they want to introduce it is idiotic. Either for all (thais and foreigners) or for none. The excuse about it being used for insurance is also idiotic, since many of us already have insurance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jabis said:

@Khunjeff was confused, so to break it a bit down: does Khun jeff want to fly to for example Malaysia for 40 USD or 50 USD per one way trip?
As per longer holiday trips (~1000+ USD) the 10 USD extra might be peanuts, but constant travelling with an added 20% "arrival tax" per ticket seems stupid, and doesn't really give anything to anyone except military for spending on submarines without german engines that would rock the shallow waters...

Well, such is life, wonder what the great next tax without any substance might be.

With these soldiers in charge anything is possible.

I remember the times (1980's - 90's) when domestic flights inside Soviet Union then CIS or whatever cost 3 times more for foreigners than for citizens. That never deterred me, since I really wanted to see places and because the prices were still low compared to similar distances in the West.

I also remember that when I wanted to use my miles with flights on Lufthansa to China, I had to pay something like 200 Eur in tax for economy, and 600 Eur (!) for business. That shows what airports and airlines pocket everyday for almost no effort.

So the 300B in Thailand does not shock me. I just wait to see how they implement it in practice.

3 hours ago, austhai said:

I think for most tourist 300 bt is not an issue. But for principle wise it should be waved for us working here with social security & some private insurance. Plus we pay more taxes than many here. Maybe to wave it on return flights bought this end & proof of work or tax card. Of course also for expats on a non immigrant with proof of insurance. Maybe too much work for them to check so only Thai passports waved.

I agree, don't think too many won't visit because of that fee. BUT: I am also annoyed that I will have to pay this fee each time I enter. But I am curious how they will include that fee in the ticket price, but exclude Thai nationals. Will they require airlines and booking systems to change their IT systems to make that distinction? Or eventually set up kiosks at airports instead?  In addition to the absolutely useless re-entry visa (Bt. 1,000), double or triple pricing (plus their plans to make hotel rooms for foreigners more expensive...) and me paying Thai Income tax each year (which close to 90% of Thais do NOT...). And being required to have Bt. 800,000 in my account for five months of the year, yip, they really make foreigners welcome!

Edited by UTH001
  • Like 2

Cost of Air Tickets to Thailand already at least double pre pandemic levels resulting in some airlines not resuming flight schedules as routes no longer viable. If Thai Government imposes another passenger tax on arrivals and requires Airlines to collect it the additional administrative costs are likely to be additionally added by the airlines so best to add to exit tax payable by ALL including Thais 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism minister Mr. Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn stated that the 300 baht fee will be collected from all tourists who arrive in the country by air

Let the gouging continue.. squeeze them dry at every opportunity.

1 hour ago, bkk_mike said:

You mean, like the following countries...

No, not at all.

Here is what I mean:

If a foreign government tells me to collect an additional fee for them, then I would charge that government (not the passenger) a fee for that service, to cover my costs.

Edited by klauskunkel

22 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Not just insurance, many expats also pay into the Social Welfare health scheme.

Plus I understand those expats married to government employees get “ free treatment” at government hospitals.

I have accident/ medical insurance but don’t expect an exemption, it will be applied to all non Thais.