Major new tourist attraction costing 6.6 billion baht to open in Phuket - foreign and Thai tourists expected

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

has a Thai cultural theme and is the only place of its kind in the world

555 sure it's in Thailand and has Thai cultural theme thus the only one of it's kind in the world or who else would built a Thai theme park in their own country, example would the UK, the USA, Germany, France no, they would built on theme park with their own country cultural theme, these people are funnier by the minute  555

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, internationalism said:

they have to wait for chinese zero baht package tours..

Who would invest such money when there is barely any tourists? Is there some money laundering theme at this park? 

any tourists????   you forgot the millions of "rich" Indians   555

couple days ago AseanNow posted,

Relaxation of ownership laws aims at wealthy Chinese

Edited by Mavideol
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 4:57 PM, internationalism said:

they have to wait for chinese zero baht package tours..

Who would invest such money when there is barely any tourists? Is there some money laundering theme at this park? 

Indian food options... says it all

9 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I was wondering how many solar panels they had installed to help counterbalance their electricity consumption, and how many of their lights were LEDs.

Yes, let's try to counterbalance a night time theme park with power from the sun. (Don't try to suggest they store energy in batteries).

Of course virtually all lights will be LEDs. Do you think someone spending billions on a theme park whose whole thing is lights will put there incandescent bulbs just so they can spend more money on electricity bills?

Just now, eisfeld said:

Yes, let's try to counterbalance a night time theme park with power from the sun. (Don't try to suggest they store energy in batteries).

Of course virtually all lights will be LEDs. Do you think someone spending billions on a theme park whose whole thing is lights will put there incandescent bulbs just so they can spend more money on electricity bills?

Anyone who knows anything about going solar will know that solar can work very well for night lighting.  Many street lights these days are solar-powered.  How could that be done without batteries? 

That said, if you want a no-battery system, there is always the option of grid-tying your solar panels and doing what some refer to as "grid storage."  You feed the grid during the day, it feeds you at night.  Tit for tat.

No, I wasn't expecting lights to be incandescent.  I was thinking more of neon lights and CFLs.  Fluorescent lights are not so energy efficient, even if they are better than the incandescents, and they contain mercury which is highly toxic.  Furthermore, some persons are sensitive to their EMF.  A mercury-free lighting setup would be wonderful.

Amazing they expect both falangs and people from the same country where this attraction is built.   

I expect someone from China, India, Russia and the UK to visit there!!!!!  

My crystal ball is right on this one, and let's check back in September 2023 to see if this happened.  

I will also predict other countries as well!!!!  66 billion "major" attraction..... 

4 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Anyone who knows anything about going solar will know that solar can work very well for night lighting.  Many street lights these days are solar-powered.  How could that be done without batteries? 

That said, if you want a no-battery system, there is always the option of grid-tying your solar panels and doing what some refer to as "grid storage."  You feed the grid during the day, it feeds you at night.  Tit for tat.

No, I wasn't expecting lights to be incandescent.  I was thinking more of neon lights and CFLs.  Fluorescent lights are not so energy efficient, even if they are better than the incandescents, and they contain mercury which is highly toxic.  Furthermore, some persons are sensitive to their EMF.  A mercury-free lighting setup would be wonderful.

You can't compare powering dozens of millions of lights with powering a street light with battery power. The costs for the battery in a street light are a small part of the overall costs. In this theme park the costs for the lights and power are a major thing. You can counterbalance it with battery power to some degree but your break even point will be far into the future. I know, I've been involved in large scale solar projects and it rarely made sense to have batteries. The exception were hospitals and other projects where electricity is mission critical and lives are at stake but there you use them for safety and not saving money.

About "grid storage": you can't just sign up with PEA for a feed-in at this size. PEA offers feed-in tariffs for small residential setups and the tariff pays a lot less than what you pay to use later at night. Concessions for larger installations are hard to come by and larger in scale than this park would have suitable roof space for.

And of course with maybe a few exceptions they wouldn't use fluorescent lights. They would be more expensive in the long term, don't come in these small sizes and colors, would pose a lot more risks and really would have no advantage. I would rewrite the last sentence to:

"Furthermore, some persons believe they are sensitive to their EMF." I guess they could distribute tinfoil hats at the entrance for them.

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

"Furthermore, some persons believe they are sensitive to their EMF." I guess they could distribute tinfoil hats at the entrance for them.

I agree with most of the unquoted portion, but this portion is worth understanding better for those who may not know.  EMF is not noticed by most people who are in good health.  EMF can, however, adversely affect those whose bodies have higher levels of metals, such as copper, mercury, and lead.  It is not merely imagined--for some of these people, simply walking underneath of a high-powered electric line can cause them great physical distress.  While this is rare, it is a known phenomenon, and can potentially be treated by doctors via removal of those metals from the body.

I have used an EMF meter on a fluorescent light, and was surprised at just how much EMF was picked up.  Try it on an LED light, though, and you are likely to find zero EMF.  There is a huge difference.

9 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I agree with most of the unquoted portion, but this portion is worth understanding better for those who may not know.  EMF is not noticed by most people who are in good health.  EMF can, however, adversely affect those whose bodies have higher levels of metals, such as copper, mercury, and lead.  It is not merely imagined--for some of these people, simply walking underneath of a high-powered electric line can cause them great physical distress.  While this is rare, it is a known phenomenon, and can potentially be treated by doctors via removal of those metals from the body.

I have used an EMF meter on a fluorescent light, and was surprised at just how much EMF was picked up.  Try it on an LED light, though, and you are likely to find zero EMF.  There is a huge difference.

If you have enough lead or mercury in your body to notice the EM field of a fluorescent light then you're already dead or a robot.

EMFs emitted by CFLs are extremely weak. You can find a lot of things in a typical household that emit orders of magnitudes stronger EMFs. CFLs have certain risks like some of them emitting UV light which if absorbed in very close range over long periods of time obviously isn't good, same as standing outside in the sun isn't great. The Mercury in CFLs is the biggest issue imho because the tubes might break. especially when not disposed properly.

EMFs from lights are not an issue. Out of curiousity what EMF values did you measure?

16 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

If you have enough lead or mercury in your body to notice the EM field of a fluorescent light then you're already dead or a robot.

EMFs emitted by CFLs are extremely weak. You can find a lot of things in a typical household that emit orders of magnitudes stronger EMFs. CFLs have certain risks like some of them emitting UV light which if absorbed in very close range over long periods of time obviously isn't good, same as standing outside in the sun isn't great. The Mercury in CFLs is the biggest issue imho because the tubes might break. especially when not disposed properly.

EMFs from lights are not an issue. Out of curiousity what EMF values did you measure?

I can assure you that people whose systems go haywire in the presence of EMF are not dead.  Side issue--did you know that some people have been plagued by hearing a radio station 24/7 after getting bi-metallic tooth fillings?  Yes, having metals in one's mouth can, unluckily, tune in just the right frequency, and, like the old crystal radios which required no electric input other than the radio signals themselves, bring in the sound right near the ear. 

I don't have the EMF meter with me, and I don't remember if it had more than one setting for sensitivity, nor do I remember the units.  All I remember is that for the fluorescent lights the analog dial went over halfway on its range--close to 60% on the reading.  But percent of what?  I'm sorry, I just don't remember anymore.

I do also remember, however, that the reading was quite strong even at a range of several feet away from the light fixture.  Now, how much was due to the transformer/ballast in the fixture, and how much to the ionized mercury vapor of the lamp itself, again I do not know.

Perhaps searching online could provide some benchmarks on the expected EMF for various types of lighting.

39 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Side issue--did you know that some people have been plagued by hearing a radio station 24/7 after getting bi-metallic tooth fillings?  Yes, having metals in one's mouth can, unluckily, tune in just the right frequency, and, like the old crystal radios which required no electric input other than the radio signals themselves, bring in the sound right near the ear. 

Yes. But it has nothing to do with the EMFs created by CFLs. Radio has vastly different frequencies and field strengths. Did you know that humans can even see electro magnetic radiation? It's called light and it's the same thing like radio. It's also what gives the Hulk his power. We can't see radio waves though. Frequency is important.

43 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I don't have the EMF meter with me, and I don't remember if it had more than one setting for sensitivity, nor do I remember the units.  All I remember is that for the fluorescent lights the analog dial went over halfway on its range--close to 60% on the reading.  But percent of what?  I'm sorry, I just don't remember anymore.

Well, 60% of an unknown range of unknown units is not of any use.

53 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I do also remember, however, that the reading was quite strong even at a range of several feet away from the light fixture.  Now, how much was due to the transformer/ballast in the fixture, and how much to the ionized mercury vapor of the lamp itself, again I do not know.

I guarantee you that you didn't measure a strong EMF several feet away from that light. Don't trust me? Maybe you trust measurements of the US government: https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi/000005EP.PDF?Dockey=000005EP.PDF You will find a table with measurements of various devices. Better not use an electric shaving machine. That's 2.5x the amount of radiation and even much more because it's right next to your head. Or those nasty hair dryers at 7.5x! ????

On 9/2/2022 at 8:00 PM, Lopchan said:

So many sad, negative losers on this forum who can only criticize, berate and degrade anything Thais do. What a pathetic bunch of turds you are

No. It is crude, vulgar and tackie.  All that land used up for this rubbish. 

All those lights and electricity....hardy good for enhancing the natural beauty of Phuket that attracts most quality tourists, and very wasteful of energy and bad for the environment.  Think how much plastic waste, leftover food, sewerage and other waste that place will generate!  

I agreed with another poster on here...it's a plastic place for plastic people.  It's not about Thai culture or Phuket, it's about making money from mass tourism at the expense of Thai culture and the natural environment of Phuket. 

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Well.....some of the people here are not well known for thinking things through properly. Lol..