Masks in banks?

SidJames

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But I suspect most folks in close quarters there, including myself, would give a wide-berth to non-maskers in this continuing time of COVID.

I cannot comment on what you would do, but no one gives me a "wide berth" when I ride the BTS without a mask. No one pays me any attention at all.

I have also traveled with Air Asia a couple of times in the last week, and numerous people were unmasked on both flights.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just passed 1 million new global COVID deaths for 2022. Yes, for those unfortunate folks, it IS over.

thats it ? a measly 1 million ? 

and the 19 million other humans who also died ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And accordingly, the headline of the NYT article you linked to is:

Why Masks Work, but Mandates Haven't

"Masks reduce the spread of the Covid virus by preventing virus particles from traveling from one person’s nose or mouth into the air and infecting another person. Laboratory studies have repeatedly demonstrated the effect."

I'm not sure what you think you're refuting, but this is what II actually wrote:

"Just to appease the moderators, let me acknowledge that N95 and similar masks absolutely can work, but the recent real-world data on the effectiveness of mask mandates (which usually prompt people to wear paper or cloth masks) are fairly unimpressive. I will post some links below, but the example of Hong Kong is illustrative -- terrible outbreak despite near 100% mask compliance."

Are you imagining some inconsistency where none actually exists?

But that Reuters article is from late 2021, before omicron. The data here are post-omicron:

https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/article/bay-area-mask-mandate-results-17271294.php

Hong Kong's experience is also post-omicron.

The use of face masks is now voluntary but who actually listens to the government?

I see many places still reinforcing the mask ruling even after most are vaccinated so what's the point of vaccination in the first place?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Man placed are enforcing the mask mandate because they do listen to the government, you are misinformed about what the government says. The official health department advice in Thailand is to wear masks in crowded places. The government has made it legal to not wear a mask but that differs from the recommendation.

The recommendation from the government is advisory.

Since when are banks and supermarkets crowed places?

When I go to Big C xtra, 10% of the checkout counters are open, and no queues. You think they are crowded?

Edited by peterfranks
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

To somewhat reduce your risk of contracting the virus...

And to greatly reduce the risk that the virus will end up killing you or putting you in the hospital.

That sounds like pretty sound medical advice to me.

I know that , then why do some people still insists on other people wearing masks?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

I do not favor mask mandates even in crowded indoor areas.

In practice, most people are wearing crappy masks anyway when they do wear them.

But most everyone should keep up to date on vaccines, and high risk people would be wise to consider indefinite continuation of optional mitigation measures. 

Another comment, many people including me mask up while walking outdoors towards an indoor public space. It's become popular to mock such people and behavior without consider it's a matter of convenience to just keep the mask on. outdoors while on the way. If you see someone wearing a mask outdoors it doesn't necessarily mean that think it's worthwhile to mask outdoors. Pulling them up and down to the chin is hygenically questionable.