Huge Flood In Pattaya Today

juiso

Wow that video is amazing. I was planning to go out to watch the F1 race in a bar. Glad i decided to stay in. I wonder how the condos in Soi 15 managed. The one with the underground car park was flooded out last year.

Edited by Henryford

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Cigarette buts blocking the drains again or drowned rats is my early theory in this world class resort ???? 

Looks more than cigarette butts and a dead rat problem to me. Why don't they sort it out? Put in a bit of drainage and invest in some water pumps.

Or could it be that the area is a bit low?

18 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Tjhey do, every other year dig up the roads and put in bigger drainage pipes.

Putting in bigger drainage pipes sounds like a good idea. But do the pipes run down hill? If not then the water needs to go somewhere and be pumped out to somewhere or other. Perhaps to the sea.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sunday morning plus through the night and early Monday

I drove in Sunday morning about 9am... do you mean like 1am -2am or so....? I walked around Buakhao and it was ok.. This rainy season has me worried. 

Edited by jacko45k

28 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Tjhey do, every other year dig up the roads and put in bigger drainage pipes.

Yes. Huge pipes in Soi 15 and 2nd rd. under construction. You could walk them. Be optimistic it helps to reduce/shorten the flooding.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes. Huge pipes in Soi 15 and 2nd rd. under construction. You could walk them. Be optimistic it helps to reduce/shorten the flooding.

Probably not, I suspect they are already filled with sand. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, voulez vous said:

Putting in bigger drainage pipes sounds like a good idea. But do the pipes run down hill? If not then the water needs to go somewhere and be pumped out to somewhere or other. Perhaps to the sea.

Have you recently been to Pattaya? They dug up the entire length of Beach Rd and put in large pipes. There are two brand new high capacity pumps opposite soi 6 and two more just outside of walking street which pump water into the ocean.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Have you recently been to Pattaya? They dug up the entire length of Beach Rd and put in large pipes. There are two brand new high capacity pumps opposite soi 6 and two more just outside of walking street which pump water into the ocean.

I'm not so familiar with Pattaya.

Were the pumps actually turned on and working? Are the electrics under water and tripped?

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Doesn't matter how big the pipes are if the road drain holes are blocked. They never seem to get that bit right, and I doubt they ever clean out the big pipes under the road- hence they fill up with sand and rubbish.

Anyway, the best way to deal with the problem is to take the water directly from the bottom of the sois out to sea. No messing around diverting it along the road.

1 hour ago, voulez vous said:

I'm not so familiar with Pattaya.

Were the pumps actually turned on and working? Are the electrics under water and tripped?

It's a very professional setup, not at all temporary. The pump outlets are about a foot in diameter.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't matter how big the pipes are if the road drain holes are blocked. They never seem to get that bit right, and I doubt they ever clean out the big pipes under the road- hence they fill up with sand and rubbish.

Anyway, the best way to deal with the problem is to take the water directly from the bottom of the sois out to sea. No messing around diverting it along the road.

They aren't. I checked quite a few of them, anticipating this exact comment. The road drains under the metal grates are all empty. A couple on Road 2 had fast running water in them but they weren't full.

All the sois drain towards the sea. The solution they have is most optimal, a large sump (pipe about 2m diameter) stretching the full length of beach road which the sois drain into and 4 very large pumps pump out of. They clearly had hydraulic engineers figure this out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's a very professional setup, not at all temporary. The pump outlets are about a foot in diameter.

The laugh was for the size of the pump outlets. They should be at least 4 times as large, IMO.

The VDO is of Buakhao, and that has always been a problem for floods. I guess nothing much changes away from Beach Rd.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

The laugh was for the size of the pump outlets. They should be at least 4 times as large, IMO.

The VDO is of Buakhao, and that has always been a problem for floods. I guess nothing much changes away from Beach Rd.

They are in pairs. Did you read a study somewhere that claimed the pumps should be larger?

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They aren't. I checked quite a few of them, anticipating this exact comment. The road drains under the metal grates are all empty. A couple on Road 2 had fast running water in them but they weren't full.

All the sois drain towards the sea. The solution they have is most optimal, a large sump (pipe about 2m diameter) stretching the full length of beach road which the sois drain into and 4 very large pumps pump out of. They clearly had hydraulic engineers figure this out.

How could you check the pipes where they are under the road? You can't see into them from the road side drains. A "few" doesn't count for all. I have always taken an interest in infrastructure, and the infrastructure in Pattaya is a disgrace to civil engineering, IMO.

If the drains were not blocked, then the problem is elsewhere, but a problem they apparently can't solve for 30 years.

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Sounds good and workable. 

But then I wonder about their hydraulic engineers who plan road drainage grates on road crests.

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They are in pairs. Did you read a study somewhere that claimed the pumps should be larger?

Then they should be in fours.

Perhaps 4 feet is a bit excessive, but certainly larger than 1 foot, given the amount of water that falls in a tropical storm. Obviously they can't do the job, given the floods.

However, did Beach Rd flood or was it just Buakhao?

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

How could you check the pipes where they are under the road? You can't see into them from the road side drains. A "few" doesn't count for all. I have always taken an interest in infrastructure, and the infrastructure in Pattaya is a disgrace to civil engineering, IMO.

If the drains were not blocked, then the problem is elsewhere, but a problem they apparently can't solve for 30 years.

It was easy. I was here when they were putting the pipes into the trenches. Pattaya used to have big flood problems but they have just finished a major drainage upgrade, save for a bit to do in soi 15. We'll see if they have solved it but last night was a very heavy storm and there was very little if any flooding. The guards told me there was no flooding in the basement car park so it's unlikely there was significant flooding anywhere.