Huge Flood In Pattaya Today

juiso

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never heard of bridges high enough for ships to pass under?

The wall will go right across the bay. The north side (Bangkok side) will be drained. Obviously there will be water at times from the rivers that drain the basin.

The plan is to save Bangkok. This is the only way. The Chinese will do the funding, planning and building. The Thais will supply the labour. Work for thousands.

On a serious point. The Thai authorities will have to ensure any submarines and ships are to the south of the wall before the wall is completed.

Edited by voulez vous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, voulez vous said:

The wall will go right across the bay. The north side (Bangkok side) will be drained. Obviously there will be water at times from the rivers that drain the basin.

The plan is to save Bangkok. This is the only way. The Chinese will do the funding, planning and building. The Thais will supply the labour. Work for thousands.

On a serious point. The Thai authorities will have to ensure any submarines and ships are to the south of the wall before the wall is completed.

Then the Chao Phraya  river that discharges average 25,400 cubic feet per second will be backed up and overflow into Bangkok. In fact it is just this backing up of the river at very high tides in the gulf that cause Bangkok flooding. Any chance you have a reference for this 'wall' ? And on what side of Lam Chabang deep water port. ?

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Then the Chao Phraya  river that discharges average 25,400 cubic feet per second will be backed up and overflow into Bangkok. In fact it is just this backing up of the river at very high tides in the gulf that cause Bangkok flooding. Any chance you have a reference for this 'wall' ? And on what side of Lam Chabang deep water port. ?

Of course not.

The wall will have holes. at low tide on the tidal side, water will flow through to the sea. At high tide the holes will shut. Decent size pumps then kick in. If required.

The Chao Phraya river - although; as you say discharges a fair drop of water into the bay - will be insignificant when the 4000 square Km is drained.

Consider the new opportunities that the drained area will give wild-life; ducks an the like. And tourism. I'm thinking of those aqua-planing things with the big fan at the back ferrying high rollers across the flats. At the same time a journey from Pattaya to Hua Hin; just 2 hours or less.

Edited by voulez vous

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

I think he's using satire.

2 hours ago, voulez vous said:

Of course not.

The wall will have holes. at low tide on the tidal side, water will flow through to the sea. At high tide the holes will shut. Decent size pumps then kick in. If required.

The Chao Phraya river - although; as you say discharges a fair drop of water into the bay - will be insignificant when the 4000 square Km is drained.

Consider the new opportunities that the drained area will give wild-life; ducks an the like. And tourism. I'm thinking of those aqua-planing things with the big fan at the back ferrying high rollers across the flats. At the same time a journey from Pattaya to Hua Hin; just 2 hours or less.

Ok when does the Good Fairy show up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Ok when does the Good Fairy show up.

It's all in the archives.

I reckon it will  get underway within the next 5 years. A lot depends upon the extent of global warming. If it accelerates, like many fear, and the poles melt, it may be earlier.

But back to Pattaya. If there is no sea, surely it will be easier to remove the floodwaters when they occur. As we all know; water finds its own level.

On 9/5/2022 at 11:11 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't matter how big the pipes are if the road drain holes are blocked. They never seem to get that bit right, and I doubt they ever clean out the big pipes under the road- hence they fill up with sand and rubbish.

Anyway, the best way to deal with the problem is to take the water directly from the bottom of the sois out to sea. No messing around diverting it along the road.

You can put in as many pipes as you want, but you will never be able to drain that much water quickly enough to prevent flooding. What the pipes might do is drain it faster so the water recedes faster. That's all you can hope for.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You can put in as many pipes as you want, but you will never be able to drain that much water quickly enough to prevent flooding. What the pipes might do is drain it faster so the water recedes faster. That's all you can hope for.

I lived in Pattaya before they widened Beach Rd and I don't remember it flooding for the same amount of rain as it did flood after the widening.

Even a "normal" ie not very heavy rainfall, made the road flood after the widening, so I'm going with "they didn't connect the drain holes to the pipes".

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I lived in Pattaya before they widened Beach Rd and I don't remember it flooding for the same amount of rain as it did flood after the widening.

Even a "normal" ie not very heavy rainfall, made the road flood after the widening, so I'm going with "they didn't connect the drain holes to the pipes".

Probably right, also there only appears to be one outlet by walking st entrance, the rest of the beach nothing hence why water goes over the sand

On 9/5/2022 at 4:41 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Can't be true, they fixed the drainage

When?

Despite many attempts the problem has never been "fixed".

When we were ther last week I see they have now started on putting in larger drain along second road.

Looks like they are using the same size as Chonburi put in over 10 years ago which fixed a similar problem, fingers crossed time.

19 hours ago, JensenZ said:

That is not true. many years ago Chonburi had a very similar flooding problem to Pattaya. Then they put in a very large drain, made up from concrete blocks about 2 metres square, that cured the problem.

The surface water needs somewhere to go and if there is enough capacity below ground flooding will not arise.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seen it flooded many times over the decades, this photo is from 1983

453699850_2526(2).jpg.1adc01f58d317385634283e772df7c4f.jpg

8 hours ago, kinyara said:

The situation in Bangkok seems to be getting steadily worse, given it's not even mid-September I wonder if we'll see a mini exodus to Pattaya by those that own property here if things really deteriorate like 2011.

Could Pattaya be the new capital city? Price of Leo in a bar would shoot up.

3 hours ago, champers said:

Could Pattaya be the new capital city? Price of Leo in a bar would shoot up.

I doubt you'll need to worry about rubbing shoulders with Bangkok 2nd home owners in Western orientated bars. More likely to be beneficial to the upscale Thai places in North Pattaya/Wongamat/Jontien  they favour at weekends.

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

I doubt you'll need to worry about rubbing shoulders with Bangkok 2nd home owners in Western orientated bars. More likely to be beneficial to the upscale Thai places in North Pattaya/Wongamat/Jontien  they favour at weekends.

I live in North Pattaya.????

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 2:38 AM, JensenZ said:

They seemed to have solved this problem all over the world!

but not in pattaya?

what high end tourists and their families would not want to walk thru waist deep sewage at this world class resort ?????????????

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Totally agree, over the years its always experienced flash flooding it just takes less to cause more these days. Natural result of concreting over the city without expanding the drainage system in tandem. 

It's always gone in a couple of hours if that on Beach Road so I'm not sure what the big deal is other than a seasonal talking point along with Songkran

8 minutes ago, Northstar1 said:

but not in pattaya?

what high end tourists and their families would not want to walk thru waist deep sewage at this world class resort ?????????????

Fortunately the rainy season is the low season in Thailand which doesn't coincide with the summer school holiday season. If you're thinking of coming I'd recommend a weather app on your phone and failing that looking upwards if you're thinking of venturing outside your 5-star abode. It's really not that difficult to predict.

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

Fortunately the rainy season is the low season in Thailand which doesn't coincide with the summer school holiday season. If you're thinking of coming I'd recommend a weather app on your phone and failing that looking upwards if you're thinking of venturing outside your 5-star abode. It's really not that difficult to predict.

I don’t think many families and high end tourists are planning a holiday in pattaya, weather app or not

8 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

amazing how old the sexpats look in the video.  flooding won't stop them.

then the girls who destroy their liver every night.

This is why Pattaya is the greatest place on Earth.   Heaven, for sure.  

Looks like only the best of the best live there.   Tattoos for the win.   

Tattoos for the win ????

8 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

but not in pattaya?

Oh I don't know...Venice and Bangladesh have issues..... 

• Thanks 1