Tuk-Tuk driver fined and sent for attitude adjustment training after ripping off tourist

webfact

11 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

In 15 years of using TukTuks here in Thailand i have NEVER seen one with a meter !!!

With all tuk tuks and all meter less taxis you must agree on the the price before you head off. Also before you get in a taxi make sure that the meter works if it doesn't find another one. Some times your just so hot and tired that you get in and that's what they are counting on.

• Like 1

At least in Bangkok, there is an alternative public transport such as trains and buses.

In Chiang Mai, there aren't any trains and there is no cheap buses. The Songtaew are just expensive shared taxis that quote at least 20 baht for short trips.

If the Thai government would provide good cheap public transport in other cities, a lot of these tuk-tuk and songtaew drivers would disappear.

Edited by EricTh

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Top police were soon on the driver's case and Thongkham Chertchai, 57, was taken to the Thungmahamek police station where he was fined 1,000 baht for having the wrong licence.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

He was warned about his impolite behavior and taken to the DLT for three hours of training to be a more respectful and better driver.

So an incorrect license and only 3 hours to teach him to be a better person?

How about getting this imbecile off the the taxi rank?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

He was warned about his impolite behavior and taken to the DLT for three hours of training to be a more respectful and better driver.

I think there's a need for a change at the top position in the DLT

1,000 baht fine and 3 hours of you must try harder doesn't cut-it anymore.

• Like 1

Some of these guys are not too smart. He could have agreed to something and the driver does not even understand what was agreed, he just drives and makes up a price at the end.

I took a grab taxi where there's a map on the phone app with a moving arrow to tell the driver where to turn, everything. He could not figure it out and got lost and had to keep pulling over to ask directions. The fare is the same no matter what he does. He had the guided map directions there on the dashboard the whole time!

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

Central World to Surasak in a meter taxi on a normal traffic day, doubtful lit would be over 100 baht. Why would anyone use a tuk tuk but for novelty factor. Do it once for a short hop on your first visit and then forget about them!

Why not take the BTS?

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Yes, the government is very tough on this. Venues MUST overcharge foreigners, particularly at National Parks

in the eyes of many thais he is going nothing wrong the government openly stated ..double pricing was  legal remember  parks..tourist venues ect ..poor guy just following his leaders wishes lol   

• Haha 1

From the perspective of a taxi driver, there is no downside to trying to renegotiate a fare en route to the destination. In his mind, the worst that can happen is that he'll get the originally agreed fare. So as a passenger, it's up to you to shift some of the risk back to him.

I did that once with a taxi driver in Cairo, Egypt, on my way from my hotel to the bazaar. We had agreed a fare of 10 Egyptian pounds. Halfway to the bazaar, he turned around and said to me "15 pounds!". After a brief moment of panic, I responded "five pounds". He just laughed - and said "OK, 10 pounds."

They need to learn that renegotiation can go both ways.

On 9/6/2022 at 4:19 AM, SooKee said:

Cue "Honest Thai taxi driver......." story coming up in...........????

You cannot compare a taxi driver to a tuc tuc driver !!! Tuc drivers have a terrible reputation all over the tourist world. They are well known for rip offs and often violence in the nighttime areas of BKK, Phuket etc , where they prey on drunk tourists. ( men and women) . Some of these drunks do not get home in one piece. 

On 9/6/2022 at 4:01 AM, H1w4yR1da said:

Tuk tuks don't have meters. No one in Bangkok uses them except tourists.

I see Thai's taking tuk tuks almost every time I am in Thailand.  I have seen more Thai's in them than foreigners.    

Except someplace where tuk tuk's run hotel guests out to Sukhumvit from a hotel that is at the end of some small alley.     

On 9/12/2022 at 11:06 AM, radiochaser said:

I see Thai's taking tuk tuks almost every time I am in Thailand.  I have seen more Thai's in them than foreigners.    

Except someplace where tuk tuk's run hotel guests out to Sukhumvit from a hotel that is at the end of some small alley.     

I never see Thais in tuk tuks im Bangkok and have been here for over 20 years. Maybe they're sometimes used in provincial towns instead of songtaews but in Bangkok, well maybe some in the suburbs.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:51 AM, webfact said:

he was fined 1,000 baht for having the wrong licence.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:51 AM, webfact said:

Getting the correct licence wasn't required then.