Husband went to attack ex wife "because she was going to find a farang husband"

webfact

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No... I don’t see the deep underlying racism at all... I just see the ’trigger in the headline begging for attention and clicks’... 

This is simple fragile man syndrome and the fact that his ex-left him....    His desperate behaviour would have very likely been exactly the same had there been no mention of a forienger. 

Disagree, the whole story infers that the perp wouldn't have gone bonkers if the wife had walked away with another Thai guy. Hence the "deep underlying" racism.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No... I don’t see the deep underlying racism at all... I just see the ’trigger in the headline begging for attention and clicks’... 

This is simple fragile man syndrome and the fact that his ex-left him....    His desperate behaviour would have very likely been exactly the same had there been no mention of a forienger. 

Expand  

Disagree, the whole story infers that the perp wouldn't have gone bonkers if the wife had walked away with another Thai guy. Hence the "deep underlying" racism.

Exactly...  the whole story ‘infers’....

... you’re being guided down the ‘racism’ pathway so you click on the story...   journo’s love this stuff. 

The slightest hint or sniff of something that may trigger a response gets wildly inflated... 

Of course, stories such as this are a dog-whistle to those who want to scream racism. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

The story does not infer that he would have been A-OK if she had left him for another Thai man. It says that his ex-wife told him that she wanted to look for a foreign husband and over the course of several months the comment gnawed at him. There are lots of reasons besides racism why this might have triggered a Thai man's jealousy including imagined stereotypes about sexual prowess or feelings that he could not fairly compete with a foreigner's wealth.

If he was angry and humiliated because his wife told him she was  in love with another woman, you wouldn't say it was due to "deep underlying" misogyny or homophobia, would you? Also, for your racism interpretation to hold water you have to be certain that when she said 'pua farang' she was talking exclusively about white guys. As I pointed out in an earlier post, 'pua forang' is commonly used as a general term for Western men, not necessarily exclusively white men.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Umm, slashing someones tires, putting sugar in the gas tank, etc.  are dick moves.... stabbing someone.... that is a wee bit beyond being a 'dick move'

Point well-taken. Not the best choice of words. Was just trying to convey that even though the guy lost it and has problems regulating his emotions it doesn't make him a monster.

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Maybe the wife really did imagine herself hooking up with a white guy, but when Thais use the term "pua farang" the focus is usually on the financial escape from poverty he might offer, rather than necessarily on skin color. I hope no one leaves believing Thai men are all insanely jealous and threatened by you, because they're not.

That was a pretty ball-busting comment the wife made, no doubt intended to wound. But more often than not these "pua farang" comments are little more than whimsical day dreams rather than true aspirations.

The guy obviously has a drinking problem and stabbing the mother-in-law in the ribs was definitely a dick move, but I still feel sorry for him. I wish the mother-in-law a speedy recovery and I hope the guy is able to straighten his life out.

I don't feel sorry for him ay all. Drunk, carrying a knife with intent, jumping a wall to get to his estranged wife, stabbing his MIL.

When he was arrested the cops should have taken him away and simply shot him "while trying to escape".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

By the Thai man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Thai guy acted in the way he did because his Wife wanted to leave him . 

Felangs cannot get any sympathetic mileage/feeling sorry for myself emotions  out of this story 

1 hour ago, Charlie Halliday said:

Quite sad really as their problems were no doubt caused by poverty. It sucks being poor as most of us have been at one stage in our early adulthood. There are way too many messed up relationships in Thailand which stem from poverty. We should all be more compassionate and help where we can. 

I don't think so, the problems were caused by his drink and drug intake and his emotional inability to deal with a relationship breakdown .

Maybe if he didn't spend all his money on drink and drugs , then his Wife wouldnt have left him ?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

36 she want to get cracking

I thought the same. 36 and she thought she had a shot at marriage and with two kids. I bet she's spent. Internet must be a field of dreams.

Truth to tell I married my wife at 36 but she looked quite young. So much so we got kicked out of three east coast liquor stores (38yo) bc she was carded and didn't bring her passport with her. Ironically, she doesn't even drink ...the morons.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

drinking himself into a stupor

Most likely this is what he did everyday.

Drunks and drug addicts make for bad partners in marriage.

Obviously he joined the monkhood then quit because of his boozing.

It's no fun for the other half to be with a heavy drinker.

Leave them.