Bank Requirements for Non-O Based on Marriage

Hello everyone,

I'm going to apply for a Non-O based on Marriage soon and have some questions about the bank requirements. If anyone could help shed any light on these, it'd be much appreciated.

1) THB 400K in the bank, does this need to come in from overseas, or I can ask my wife to transfer money from her account into mine?

2) Any recommendations on which bank branches to open an account with, or which agent to use, for someone on a Tourist Visa? 

Thank you in advance.

Edward

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

* If have been married before, A copy of Divorce Certificate (khor lor 7) and a copy of d in Thailand

I was divorced in the UK in 1989

I married a Thai national in 2014

Given this -do I still have to provide proof of my UK divorce?

2 hours ago, EdwardM said:

I am based in Bangkok.

Regarding bank account with tourist visa you are best to use an agent. 

Not too expensive and best option in Bangkok as the residence certificate would be difficult.

Agents such as Siam Legal , ThaivisaCenter etc can open bank account.

Most agents deal with Bangkok Bank which is fine as they are one of 3 or 4 banks that WISE can transfer amounts over 50k baht. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJoy said:

1) THB 400K in the bank, does this need to come in from overseas, or I can ask my wife to transfer money from her account into mine?

Ans.  The source is not checked

2) Any recommendations on which bank branches to open an account with, or which agent to use, for someone on a Tourist Visa?

Ans. Any bank which will let you open an account.

Try the bank where your wife maintains an account with.

An agent is not required since most of the documents you have at home already -

1) Applicant must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-O)

2) Having proof of relationship

3) Having evidences of nationality of Thai spouse

4) Having relationship with Thai wife de jure and de facto

5) Having evidences of definite financial status of foreign husband by showing average income not less than 40,000 baht per month, or having money in the bank account of not less than 400,000 baht which must be held for not shorter than 2 months

Documents to be submitted

1) Application Form for extension of temporary stay (TM.7) attached with one photo of applicant

2) Copy of passport first page with photo and copy last stamp, first visa, last visa, departure card (TM 6), evidence of report address, evidence of report 90 days

3) Evidence of relationship

In the case of marriage registration in Thailand

– A copy of Certificate of Marriage (khor lor 3)

– A copy of Registration of Marriage (khor lor 2)

3.2  In the case of marriage registration abroad
– A copy of Registration of Marriage

– A copy of Registration of Family Status (khor lor 22)

* If have been married before, A copy of Divorce Certificate (khor lor 7) and a copy of Registration of Divorce (khor lor 6) must be presented.

* Marriage Certificate from abroad must be certified by the Embassy and the Department of Consular Affairs in Thailand.

4) Copy of Identification and household registration of Thai spouse or any other document proving Thai nationality issued by authority or governmental agency concerned.

In the case of having money in the bank account (Fix/ Saving Deposit) of any bank located in Thailand

– Letter from the bank certified the account in the bank of not less than 400,000 baht

– Copy of bank book showing money in the account of not less than 400,000 baht which has been deposit and already held of such amount for the past 2 months until the date of application submission.

Any other relevant documents such as Copy of House lease agreement, Identification and household registration of owner with certified signature

Family photos of applicant with Thai wife and child/children (all 4 photos) (2 photos taken in front of a house number, 2 photos taken in a house), Location Map

Application fee is 1,900 Baht

Applicant and spouse must contact in person for an interview

The originals of required documents must be presented to the officer and photocopied with certified signature by applicant

My first application in Chang Wattanna, Bangkok, moved after staying in another provence, I was asked to provide a one year bank record showing all ins/outs for 12 months. Don't ask me why, I just was.

On renewal only bank letter and bank book updated covering two months. Book to be updated on day of application.

Edited by overherebc

To open an account with a tourist visa can be done BUT, far easier to take your wife along, with your marriage cert. her I D, her house book. 

I would use the Krungsri Bank, aka. yellow bank, this works in most banks. once you have your one year extension you are then also allowed to open a  'Mee Tae' savings account, which pays 1.1 %  interest up to 1m. 4,400 a year, better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. edit Your wife IS your agent.

Edited by brianthainess
add comment

19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

To open an account with a tourist visa can be done BUT, far easier to take your wife along, with your marriage cert. her I D, her house book.

OP, is located in Bangkok.

In recent times you require a residence certificate to open bank account.

He cannot obtain a residence certificate at CW unless he is doing 90 day reports there. 

Regarding banks.

With recent changes to some banking rules in Thailand WISE can only transfer funds greater than 50k to 3 banks. 

Bangkok Bank , Kasikorn and SCB.

SCB does not have branch at CW.

The OP imo best to pic one of the first 2 banks. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, is located in Bangkok.

In recent times you require a residence certificate to open bank account.

He cannot obtain a residence certificate at CW unless he is doing 90 day reports there. 

The point I was making was if you take along your wife most banks overlook the LOR.

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The point I was making was if you take along your wife most banks overlook the LOR.

Perhaps someone will provide RECENT first hand experience of this in Bangkok. 

Edited by DrJack54

22 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Copy of bank book showing money in the account of not less than 400,000 baht which has been deposit and already held of such amount for the past 2 months until the date of application submission.

Can the money be withdrawn from the account after the date of application submission?

Edited by unheard

4 minutes ago, unheard said:

Can the money be withdrawn from the account after the date of application submission?

After application with money kept in bank for 2 months you are given an under consideration period. 

You should keep the money in the account until you receive your final stamp.

So approx 3 months all up 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

After application with money kept in bank for 2 months you are given an under consideration period. 

Do you mean to keep the money as a precaution in case the office decides to check if they money still in the bank on the date of the final stamp?

As I understand there's no official requirement in the law.

Will they at least advise during the application time if their office has such requirement?

Are there actual reported cases on this board of such events?

I understand that everything is up to the local office.

Haven't heard of anything concrete so far on which offices were involved if any.

Edited by unheard

3 minutes ago, unheard said:

Do you mean to keep the money as a precaution in case the office decides to check if they money still in the bank on the date of the final stamp?

Yes Correct.

There is no such rule but many times they request to see your Passbook again.

I am also on wife extension but I use WP to extend, so I am not sure on the Bank Balance method, perhaps others may confirm.

11 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Great! He can do it for free himself. Must be much better to give Siam Legal 10k for that.

Outline the process for the OP to open a bank account in Bangkok. 

He presumably is on tourist visa or visa exempt planning to obtain a non O.

58 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

'Mee Tae' savings account, which pays 1.1 %  interest up to 1m. 4,400 a year

Sorry off topic.

Those are outdated rates, new here -

Savings Mee Tae Dai Deposit-

Up to Baht 100,000   -  1.10%

More than Baht 100,000 and up to Baht 2 million  -   0.90%

https://www.krungsri.com/Krungsri2020/media/Banking-Rate/deposit-rates/en/deposit-rates-21042565-en.pdf

15 minutes ago, unheard said:

Are there actual reported cases on this board of such events?

I understand that everything is up to the local office.

Haven't heard of anything concrete so far on which offices were involved if it was reported

Can't ever recall the final stamp being refused due to deposit going below 400k when return for final stamp.

Read reports where the person has been warned due to not maintaining the 400k.

Point is why bother. 

Someone must be on an extremely tight budget if they absolutely need to use the funds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Outline the process for the OP to open a bank account in Bangkok. 

He presumably is on tourist visa or visa exempt planning to obtain a non O.

Why make it all so hard. There is no process to outline, as they will give different answers. You already know that.

By explaining he need the account for being able to transfer money for getting a different visa will help in some cases. I would easily get 3-5 bank branches to say yes to open a bank account only by explaining that.

Second, he just take his wife with him. She can sign in the background for him as a guarantor for the account. That will not be put as a name as account holder. The account holder will be only his name. No need to ask questions about it or discuss the possibilities. I have done that way to.

There is no problem whatsoever. Absolutely no need to pay for an agent. Recommending that, begs the question if a person recommending such ways have an agent in pocket and get commission.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Why make it all so hard. There is no process to outline, as they will give different answers. You already know that.

I know what is required in Bangkok currently.

The yesteryear things you suggest won't work currently.

So stick to current experience and outline the process in Bangkok or leave it. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I know what is required in Bangkok currently.

The yesteryear things you suggest won't work currently.

So stick to current experience and outline the process in Bangkok or leave it. 

Just drop it. It´s still working. As soon as a person tells you something, it´s always old or not right. Sorry, you give the wrong advice, and that´s a fact. It is already outlined

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So approx 3 months all up 

at very earliest if your in a province that do home visits, after the home visit, one time they asked to see my bank book.

6 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Sorry off topic.

Those are outdated rates, new here -

Savings Mee Tae Dai Deposit-

Up to Baht 100,000   -  1.10%

More than Baht 100,000 and up to Baht 2 million  -   0.90%

https://www.krungsri.com/Krungsri2020/media/Banking-Rate/deposit-rates/en/deposit-rates-21042565-en.pdf

Yes my bad still better than nowt 3600b pa still half a box of beer every month. ????

• Haha 1

On (2) and talk of agents and save the money, indeed you can of course do it by yourself, but it's by no means guaranteed, worth a try, you may need to try several branches..  I think chances are if you devote a morning to it, and possible a few jumps on the BTS you'll be sorted by lunch time in Bangkok, favour expat dense areas.

For example one SCB had a nice big color copy of the old non-imm visa sticker (the full page one) in their compliance or whatever handbook with a tick, and didn't understand these were only handed out nowadays by embassies abroad, an e-visa and stamp on arrival at swampy non-imm and subsequent extension didn't suffice, to prove a point they bought over another member of staff and both pointed at it and tutted, incase I missed it the first time round.

Good luck

Edited by mnomad
  • Confused 1

Thank you everyone for the comments so far.

I was reading this part in the Non-O requirements:

7.2 A letter of guarantee in Thai language from the commercial bank in Thailand (Attention: Immigration Commissioner) and copy of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a saving or fixed deposit account of not less than Baht 400,000

** (Documents under 7.1 and 7.2 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)

And have a few further questions:

1) For anyone using the Bangkok Bank, could you ask for the letter of guarantee from any branch or you must go to the branch where you opened an account at?

2) Should I ask the bank to use the date of my appointment at CW in the letter of guarantee then, since it says the letter must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application?

3) Could someone suggest the best/easiest way for me to get a copy of all entries of my passbook up to date so it is the same date of the application? 

17 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

2) Should I ask the bank to use the date of my appointment at CW in the letter of guarantee then, since it says the letter must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application?

3) Could someone suggest the best/easiest way for me to get a copy of all entries of my passbook up to date so it is the same date of the application? 

There is Bangkok Bank Branch in CW Immigration Office.

Arrive at sharp 8:30 and the branch will do all the paperwork for you.

They are fully aware of the immigration requirements, just pop in to the branch, then proceed for extension.

There is Bangkok Bank Branch in CW Immigration Office.

Arrive at sharp 8:30 and the branch will do all the paperwork for you.

Just wanted to confirm on this: do I need to open my account at that branch to be able to get a letter of guarantee there? Because at the moment my plan is to open an account at another branch.