Which Bangkok Bank branch will let me open a savings account with Tourist Visa?

I'll be staying in Thailand and would like to open a Bangkok Bank Savings account for the ease of having an ATM card. I'll be on a Tourist Visa but will NOT have a work permit nor permanent residence. 

The Bangkok Bank website (Savings Account (bangkokbank.com) says foreigners can open with "A reference letter issued by an overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT."

I have a WISE account. How would I get that reference letter? Or are there some Bangkok Bank branches where a foreigner can open a Savings Account without that paperwork? Appreciate any advice. 

Ah....good advice. I wanna try those farang friendly branches until success. I'll be staying near Democracy Monument to start off. Maybe move to Silom Road area after that. I've spent lots of time in Bangkok and can get around easily. Which branch should I start with? Thanks. 

32 minutes ago, JourdanA said:

I'll be on a Tourist Visa but will NOT have a work permit nor permanent residence. 

As below it does say you need an address.  And, what a bank required last week may not be what they require this week.  Also, may depend on who you speak with at the bank.

Suggest you get a list of the banks in your area and make contact in person. 

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

39 minutes ago, JourdanA said:

Ah....good advice. I wanna try those farang friendly branches until success. I'll be staying near Democracy Monument to start off. Maybe move to Silom Road area after that. I've spent lots of time in Bangkok and can get around easily. Which branch should I start with? Thanks. 

I don't know Bangkok branches, others may be able to advise, if it was Pattaya i could help.

Maybe try branches in tourist areas first

Edited by scubascuba3

54 minutes ago, JourdanA said:

A general rule of thumb, the closer the branch is to an immigration office, more likely they are used to opening accounts. Also try the major branch for the area, small shopping mall branches usually cant do much.

This is a popular thread-starter so a search might yield some low-hanging fruit?

Easiest path is just to pay the insurance "fee", 5,900 baht.

Otherwise a Concierge Service at closer to 3,000 might work.

Maybe a reference from a Thai citizen in good standing, or a bank employee.

Or just hit the streets and try, there are scores of branched in the greater BMA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Do tell how.. 

When I opened my Bangkok bank account in Pattaya I was staying for a month at a condohotel. They gave me the necessary paperwork, cost like 300 thb for immigration to give me a residence cert. 

Staying at a hotel and getting the res. cert shouldn't be a problem. 

My experience opening a Bangkok Bank account started in Sakon Nakhon where they told me a foreigner can't have an account. On to Bangkok where I was told I needed to go to Embassy for letter.

Next I went to Pattaya and all was easy, though I had gotten a 90 day non O for that specific reason.

I opened mine a long time ago but used Bangkok Bank Head Quarter Office at 333 Si Lom, Silom, Bang Rak, Bangkok 10500. They have a large customer service area in the left back of the building on the ground floor. Have been back a number of times and they have always been helpful but usually a bit of a wait to see someone.

Good Luck.

a few years ago the manager of my Bangkok Bank branch told me that a number of branches were designated as "farang friendly" (my words not hers). According to her, these branches had a higher proportion of English speaking staff and the staff were trained to deal with foreigner's likely requirements.

From memory she mentioned Nana branch (top of Suk soi 8), Emporium , Ploenchit (next to BTS). There were a few others incl Head Office on Silom.

I have no idea if they still operate the same system but  probably worth starting with one of these.

It is possible in any branch. 

PM me please if you have any problems. I can help to straighten out. 

Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

Not Bangkok, but I could open a Bangkok Bank account in Chiang Mai with a 30 day visa waiver and a Certificate of Residency. Rented an Airbnb, got the TM30 from the owner, easy peasy.   The branch was Siam TV, a shopping center for electronics near the canal surrounding the old city. Very good and professional staff, no problems.

Previous to that, I was turned down twice. Once because the branch required a 3 month lease agreement from a property, once because I wasn't willing to pay for their ridiculous 5,900 baht life insurance as well as provide proof of my own year long health insurance policy. 

Edited by Hanaguma