Psychiatric Help (Auditory Hallucinations)

ELLHNAS

Hello, I am seeking help on behalf of a Thai friend who suffers from auditory hallucinations (hearing voices saying all kinds of negative things). I am not really sure if a psychologist or psychiatrist is needed but after inquiring by email with a well recommended psychologist, he advised me to rather seek help from a psychiatrist because in his opinion usually auditory hallucinations require medication.

I am aware of a few hospitals such as Manarom or Galaya Rajanakarindra Institute (in which she had bad experience and no real help), but would be nice to have a few recommendations of specific docs in hospitals that have some experience treating similar mental conditions. As she is a Thai, she would make most of it if she could communicate in Thai. Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by ELLHNAS
  • Like 1

Manoram has excellent doctors but is quite expensive, can she afford it?

For government hospitals the best one is Somdet Chao Phraya

https://www.somdet.go.th/

If it is a psychiatric (as opposed to neurologic) condition, any psychiatrist will be experienced in management. If using government hospital, use of the after hours clinic is poreferred as it will allow more time with the doctor and direct consultation with a senior doctor.

How old is she and when did this start? Schizophrenia usuall yhas onset in late teens or early 20's. Onset at a later age may suggest an underlying neurological condition or drug use.

• Like 1

I don't believe the hearing of voices saying negative things is so much a mental issue as a spiritual one.  You might wish to find a good pastor who can give proper counselling and instruction regarding the unseen battle for her soul.  Some things find answers only through prayer.

• Confused 1

Sounds like the delusions that happen to people that do too much meth. I've seen a few in this state and it's not pretty. Listening at the door of their hotel room and hearing voices in the hall. I open the door and show them no one is there and they still don't believe it.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Manoram has excellent doctors but is quite expensive, can she afford it?

For government hospitals the best one is Somdet Chao Phraya

https://www.somdet.go.th/

If it is a psychiatric (as opposed to neurologic) condition, any psychiatrist will be experienced in management. If using government hospital, use of the after hours clinic is poreferred as it will allow more time with the doctor and direct consultation with a senior doctor.

How old is she and when did this start? Schizophrenia usuall yhas onset in late teens or early 20's. Onset at a later age may suggest an underlying neurological condition or drug use.

Thank you for your contribution. Yes you are right, she is 38 years old but she first experienced this 17 years ago so early 20s. During the 17 years, it has been manageable. However, she recently did marijuana a couple of times (after it was legalized early June) and she started experiencing the worst relapse in years. I did some research online and it seems marijuana can cause this to certain people who are prone to psychiatric conditions. 

For private hospitals would you recommend Manarom over specific doctors in say hospitals such as BNH or Bangkok Hospital? Do you know the approximate cost for an appointment in Manarom hospital? Thanks again.

40 minutes ago, ELLHNAS said:

Thank you for your contribution. Yes you are right, she is 38 years old but she first experienced this 17 years ago so early 20s. During the 17 years, it has been manageable. However, she recently did marijuana a couple of times (after it was legalized early June) and she started experiencing the worst relapse in years. I did some research online and it seems marijuana can cause this to certain people who are prone to psychiatric conditions. 

For private hospitals would you recommend Manarom over specific doctors in say hospitals such as BNH or Bangkok Hospital? Do you know the approximate cost for an appointment in Manarom hospital? Thanks again.

I don't know exactly but would expect consultations there to cost somewhere between 1,000 - 2,000 baht. It is the drugs that are likely to really cost as private hospitals tend to use imported brands and to have large mark ups. 

I suggest this doctor

https://www.manarom.com/services/mhdoctors/adultdetail_en.html?id=28&name=Pichai Ittasakul, M.D.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/Pichai-Ittasakul

(Same doctor different hospitals) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ELLHNAS said:

For private hospitals would you recommend Manarom over specific doctors in say hospitals such as BNH or Bangkok Hospital?

Manarom

11 hours ago, ELLHNAS said:

Do you know the approximate cost for an appointment in Manarom hospital?

Same order of magnitude as Bumrungrad, like Sheryl said.