Can We Rename This Site And Drop The Word Soccer

keddy

It is Football, end of story.

FIFA, UEFA, FA etc, etc

I can't see the S word in any of those acronyms and nor do I want to see it. Although, as previously pointed out the origins of the word are from the UK, it is a word that has been embraced from the country that gave us global sports such as........

Oh wait a minute, there aren't any. Even the World series is only played by teams from which countries?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real argument here shouldn’t be whether football may be called soccer, because clearly that is the original name, but why other sports continue to call there game football, when there was previously another version of the same name. Certainly the non-soccer versions of football allow a lot of handling of the ball, whereas soccer is 99.9 percent foot only.

I guess it is like Americans calling their aboriginal populations Indians. Clearly there was a point where they realized the Americas where on the opposite side of the planet from India. Yet Indians they are still, and the original lot are called East Indians. :o

Maybe American Canadian and Australian football should called something that sets it apart like: “We are not sissy boys rolling around looking for a penalty hoping there might be a point scored sometime in the next two hours ball.”

I can't see the S word in any of those acronyms and nor do I want to see it. Although, as previously pointed out the origins of the word are from the UK, it is a word that has been embraced from the country that gave us global sports such as........

Oh wait a minute, there aren't any. Even the World series is only played by teams from which countries?

Basketball?

Edited by Torv

Basketball?

Invented by a Canadian (James Naismith) while studying in the US. Incidentely the game was first played with a soccer ball.

The real argument here shouldn't be whether football may be called soccer, because clearly that is the original name, but why other sports continue to call there game football, when there was previously another version of the same name. Certainly the non-soccer versions of football allow a lot of handling of the ball, whereas soccer is 99.9 percent foot only.

I guess it is like Americans calling their aboriginal populations Indians. Clearly there was a point where they realized the Americas where on the opposite side of the planet from India. Yet Indians they are still, and the original lot are called East Indians. :D

Maybe American Canadian and Australian football should called something that sets it apart like: "We are not sissy boys rolling around looking for a penalty hoping there might be a point scored sometime in the next two hours ball."

If 'American Football' is so macho, compared to football, why do their players tog up in padding and shoulder pads? and why do many have to pump themselves full of steroids? :o

If 'American Football' is so macho, compared to football, why do their players tog up in padding and shoulder pads? and why do many have to pump themselves full of steroids? :o

Because American football allows full contact and some players are giant freaks of nature. In some ways the padding actually makes the game much more physical and dangerous. But the Aussie version proves that even without all the padding, only warriors can face off in that sort of conflict professionally. Soccer on the other hand, can be played by ballerinas and apparently sometimes is.

I admire soccer, simply based on the skills required. The same is true for American and Aussie version football; Different sets of requirements and skills required. Hey I even enjoy curling and snooker. But few sports allow the play-acting and whining of soccer (ice hockey comes close, but it makes up for it in the extreme physical nature of the game), and few sports end scoreless as often. Penalty kicks? Why don’t you just flip a coin?

Are you really asking ?

No, it's a rhetorical, sarcastic question. Note: I had asked if you'd seen the English team performances of late.

Despite that fact that we English view the team more cynically. You see, we think that we should win everything given that we gave football to the world, but the reality is somewhat different.

Oh, you need to be English to understand. :o

Actually, having lived in England and talked sport with many an Englishman, having read an eye-opening and excellent book about English culture, and being a football fan, I understand perfectly what you mean. :D

Also it's the same in the U.S. with basketball. Fans cannot understand that the rest of the world has finally caught up with us and can now beat us. It's the same with football and England. But the rest of the world caught up a long time ago in your situation.

FIFA, UEFA, FA etc, etc

Where's the world soccer in an acronym? Oh, that's right. This one: Major League Soccer -- MLS

A Canadian did invent basketball, but he did it in the U.S. and the U.S. is the country that has given it to the rest of the world.

Baseball is an international sport. Japanese, Cubans, etc. love baseball. The U.S. has also given this to the world. Edit: Last summer there was a World Baseball classic which involved many countries. Japan was the winner.

The reason this whiny thread keeps going is that some inferior-minded Brits (ya know, the inferiority complex they have with regards to the U.S.) cannot accept that the U.S.A. is not actually their colony anymore and that language and culture has evolved differently. Thus, this is why the U.S. calls it soccer and not football. I wish we would, but we don't. And you can't really change that with all your irrelevant arguments.

Thank you to Thaivisa for not discriminating and keeping the world "soccer" as the secondary title as a point of clarification for those who have a different culture of English language use.

Edited by Jimjim

Are you really asking ?

No, it's a rhetorical, sarcastic question. Note: I had asked if you'd seen the English team performances of late.

Despite that fact that we English view the team more cynically. You see, we think that we should win everything given that we gave football to the world, but the reality is somewhat different.

Actually, having lived in England and talked sport with many an Englishman, having read an eye-opening and excellent book about English culture, and being a football fan, I understand perfectly what you mean. :D

Also it's the same in the U.S. with basketball. Fans cannot understand that the rest of the world has finally caught up with us and can now beat us. It's the same with football and England. But the rest of the world caught up a long time ago in your situation.

FIFA, UEFA, FA etc, etc

Where's the world soccer in an acronym? Oh, that's right. This one: Major League Soccer -- MLS

A Canadian did invent basketball, but he did it in the U.S. and the U.S. is the country that has given it to the rest of the world.

Baseball is an international sport. Japanese, Cubans, etc. love baseball. The U.S. has also given this to the world. Edit: Last summer there was a World Baseball classic which involved many countries. Japan was the winner.

The reason this whiny thread keeps going is that some inferior-minded Brits (ya know, the inferiority complex they have with regards to the U.S.) cannot accept that the U.S.A. is not actually their colony anymore and that language and culture has evolved differently. Thus, this is why the U.S. calls it soccer and not football. I wish we would, but we don't. And you can't really change that with all your irrelevant arguments.

Thank you to Thaivisa for not discriminating and keeping the world "soccer" as the secondary title as a point of clarification for those who have a different culture of English language use.

We don't have an inferiority complex with you Americans but we have a superiority complex :D

Are you really asking ?

FIFA, UEFA, FA etc, etc

What a great whine. What the hel_l has our past colonial history go to with the debate regarding the use of the world football?

Surely, you can see that a lot of the comments are tounge in cheek? I suppose one thing that you haven't caught up on is the British sense of humour. :D:D

Go have a beer and watch the Football.

Actually, having lived in England and talked sport with many an Englishman, having read an eye-opening and excellent book about English culture, and being a football fan, I understand perfectly what you mean.

I've read a couple of books on Thai culture and one on the history of Siam. I even speak the language a bit.

Blowed if I can fathom them sometimes though. :D

But there again they love the Premiership and English football but still don't have it in their blood. :o

What a great whine. What the hel_l has our past colonial history go to with the debate regarding the use of the world football?

Surely, you can see that a lot of the comments are tounge in cheek? I suppose one thing that you haven't caught up on is the British sense of humour. :o:D

Actually, I can see that and I understand your humor quite well. All the comments from you Yank naysayers remind me perfectly of British humor. Unless you're just taking the piss I suggest YOU catch on to the American sense of humor. I thought my reference to inferiority complexes and colonialism was quite funny considering the OPs irrelevant whine about where the word soccer came from and why he hates it.

Happy Hammer, I guess you could call it an "superiority-inferiority complex."

:D

Surely, you can see that a lot of the comments are tounge in cheek? I suppose one thing that you haven't caught up on is the British sense of humour. :o:D

Actually, I can see that and I understand your humor quite well. All the comments from you Yank naysayers remind me perfectly of British humor. Unless you're just taking the piss I suggest YOU catch on to the American sense of humor. I thought my reference to inferiority complexes and colonialism was quite funny considering the OPs irrelevant whine about where the word soccer came from and why he hates it.

Happy Hammer, I guess you could call it an "superiority-inferiority complex."

American sense of humour? Do me a favour You probably think irony is way of pressing clothes. As for whining no one is whining apart from you. As for your 'quips' about inferority complexes and colonialism being funny. Really? Now that is ironic :D

There has been games called football played for centuries with all kinds of rules including using hands. Rugby is a branch of that, despite the Webb Ellis myth.

Unless this site is officially British and using British conventions at the exclusion of all non British English terms, to remove the term soccer would be idiotic.

There has been games called football played for centuries with all kinds of rules including using hands. Rugby is a branch of that, despite the Webb Ellis myth.

Unless this site is officially British and using British conventions at the exclusion of all non British English terms, to remove the term soccer would be idiotic.

Hold your horses. This is a site for fans. How many football fans do you know call it soccer? How many people down at the Boleyn have you ever heard call it by that name or have you never been to a football match. All of the world use the term football, apart from a handfull of disinterested countries. Thailand uses the term football and most of the posters here prefer the term. How many other sports have a duel terms. Have you ever seen a Baseball/Rounders site or American football/Gridiron site. It's no big deal but we just don't need it that's all. :o

Hold your horses. This is a site for fans. How many football fans do you know call it soccer? How many people down at the Boleyn have you ever heard call it by that name or have you never been to a football match. All of the world use the term football, apart from a handfull of disinterested countries. Thailand uses the term football and most of the posters here prefer the term. How many other sports have a duel terms. Have you ever seen a Baseball/Rounders site or American football/Gridiron site. It's no big deal but we just don't need it that's all. :o

Well, we do need it as it differentiates it from the other threads on other games called football. If there was a hockey thread, they'd be just as justified posting on ice hockey in it. What about Handball? There are at least 2 different games by that name.

Big deal about nothing.

Well, we do need it as it differentiates it from the other threads on other games called football. If there was a hockey thread, they'd be just as justified posting on ice hockey in it. What about Handball? There are at least 2 different games by that name.

Big deal about nothing.

Just a casual glance for a micro-second could tell even the most dense observer that this a football site with the names of the clubs etc displayed. So we don't need the term soccer and yes if there 2 were threads about Hockey and Ice Hockey

they would be called by those terms as would be the case if there were 2 sites called Football and American Football. As for Handball I didn't even know 2 forms existed but if they do, and I'll take your word for it, they might be called Handball Union and Handball League or whatever the right terms are accepted and respected BY THE FANS. :D

Only one game is called soccer.

Many are called football.

Soccer is the most precise term. It effeciently removes any doubt.

It is after the slash as a qualifier, this is intelligent and an example of good communication.

How can you moan about someone being precise.

It is after the slash as a qualifier, this is intelligent and an example of good communication.

In England it's an anti-American English thing. You use a term that they percieve as American English and people complain. There's plenty of American English used in Britain that they don't recognise though.

In England it's an anti-American English thing. You use a term that they percieve as American English and people complain. There's plenty of American English used in Britain that they don't recognise though.

There's no American English. There's either American or English. IMO, of course.

But it's true that the American language is insidious. I've even seen some a couple of youngsters posting thread titles with 'favourite' spelled "favorite" on westhamonline. So much for dipthongs then :o

There's no American English. There's either American or English. IMO, of course.

But it's true that the American language is insidious. I've even seen some a couple of youngsters posting thread titles with 'favourite' spelled "favorite" on westhamonline. So much for dipthongs then :o

I'm gonna go sit back and relax on my couch eating french fries in my apartment while wactching my favorite show, Living Color. Too bad my elevator is broken, or else I could be there sooner.

But it's true that the American language is insidious. I've even seen some a couple of youngsters posting thread titles with 'favourite' spelled "favorite" on westhamonline. So much for dipthongs then :D

I'm gonna go sit back and relax on my couch eating french fries in my apartment while wactching my favorite show, Living Color. Too bad my elevator is broken, or else I could be there sooner.

Shouldn't that be "freedom fries" :o

Do some people need to be told their arse from their elbow. Is this what you mean by good communication? :o:D:D

American sense of humour? Do me a favour You probably think irony is way of pressing clothes. As for whining no one is whining apart from you. As for your 'quips' about inferority complexes and colonialism being funny. Really? Now that is ironic :o

Hold on, I'll got get some cheese for the big whiny baby who started this thread in the first place. You say we don't need the world soccer even as a secondary title; I think we don't even need all this BS whining in the first place. Just give it a rest. By the way, the English are the ones who always like to refer to the U.S. as the rebellious colony, even to this day. Some people just can't let go.

Hush, now, and go to sleep.

Edited by Jimjim