One Year Long Stay Non O-A Retirement Visa

Hi folks,  I am planning to apply for the Non O-A Retirement Visa using a combined income totaling the required 800,000 Baht.  Part of the funds will be a cash transfer and the remainder will be my 2023 Social Security distribution statement.

I noticed recently that Siam Commercial Bank either froze or closed my accounts (I had 3 with them).  I left Thailand over 5 years ago but kept the accounts active by transferring funds between the accounts using my online access.  I overlooked making transfers for over 6 months this year and eventually noticed my balances zeroed out (no big deal).  I intend to contact SCB to see if they would reactivate one of those accounts so I can make the transfer.   

i do understand my funds will need to be held by SCB for 2 months before the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles would consider processing my visa application.

My main question is as follows:  If at the 10 month point after my arrival I still have a balance in my SCB account, in order to qualify for a 1-year extension, can I just “top off” the SCB account with U.S. issued Traveler’s Cheques I bring along with me,  in addition to a newly issued Social Security distribution statement for 2024 reflecting I would meet the 800,000 baht visa requirement?   

I appreciate your opinions and or guidance.. 

You appear to be mixing things up a little. An OA visa is applied for in your home country, with funds in a home country account, not funds in a Thai account.

An extension of stay inside Thailand is funds in a Thai account , or income per month into a Thai Account. A social security "statement" doesn't meet the requirements, income has to be actually transferred into a Thailand and you would show immigration the Thai account.

I imagine travelers cheques could be deposited into a Thai account but I cant think why you would elect to use TCs when there are numerous online options to send/transfer money. An OA visa gives you 10 months to set up a Thai account, transfer money, monthly income etc.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

OP, to add to above posts, be aware that if you exit and reenter Thailand just prior to visa expiry you will be stamped in for another 12 months. 

Thus getting almost 2 years out of the non O-A before you need worry about extension.

For your first extension you will need to use money in the bank method.

If you are planning to retire in Thailand I suggest a non O based on retirement a better option..

Edited by DrJack54