Jump to content

Coffee


night_rider
 Share

Recommended Posts

I DID search for this in the forum thinking it would have been a prior topic but did not see my question.

 

I've been drinking Nescafe instant here and want something better. There was already a coffee grinder with ceramic burr in my rented condo. I'm thinking of purchasing a french press or Aeropress.

 

I would welcome recommendations for:

 

a: a good local roaster with reasonable prices (I"m in Nimman and everything tends to be inflated IMHO)

 

b: the best whole bean widely available in the hyper markets (Lotus, BigC, Makro)

 

If anyone has a source for green beans I would also be interested.

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Italian expresso bean from hillkoff so good I get it delivered to Hau Hin now google for address 🤔

Edited by sammieuk1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We use Cafe Roma, arabica beans now, and past 10 ish years.  Had Rock & Rosters at coffee shop last week, and think we'll give them a try.

 

From the chains, I've only had Bon Cafe, and are fine beans.  If you've been drink the worst instant available, anything would be an upgrade.  Roasting is not the easiest task, so might want to give the green beans a pass.

 

Have a coffee machine, French press, Moka pot and SS drip funnel thingy.  The results are basically the same, with exception of we'll get crema from the machine, IF, using (I don't) the pressurized vs the naked portafilter.  I actually use the drip funnel thingy of late, as easier for my large morning cuppa.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Bangkok, but have started buying coffee beans from Chiang RAI roasters.  Also, from roasters in the south, who grow a different bean.  Arabica is grown in the North and Robusta in the South.  There is a large number of coffee roasters who will send beans to you for a small shipping fee.  Many of these roasters also grow there own beans, so you can buy single producer coffee.  Price is about 200 baht for a 250 g bag, however, I have also only paíd 200 baht for 500 g.  Some coffees I have purchased recently from the following: Xanthocapa, Chiang Rai, Phu Sun, Nan; bata-me, Chiang Rai; Akha Ama

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, night_rider said:

I've been drinking Nescafe instant here and want something better.

Moccona is a lot better if you are not a Starbucks customer.  Personally do not find brewed or designer coffee that attractive (but admit an pre Starbucks generation).  🙏

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, night_rider said:

I've been drinking Nescafe instant here and want something better.

I understand your pain. But a coffee brewer and Boncafe at makro. That´s the cheapest for decent coffee. If oyu want high class, then it´s beans and a full coffee machine.

 

But, the first option is good, and oyu can do it for only 500 baht and 120 per 250g bag

Link to post
Share on other sites

I  recently acquired an expresso machine,  and have been trying to find a good ground coffee for hot Latte in the morning.  Last packet I bought was from The bean Co ... medium dark Arabica ...  it was quite good although something slightly stronger would suit better ....   anyway, I just grabbed a 200g pack of Khoa Shong for 99 baht, Thai coffee .. Robusta expresso 100% roasted ground coffee , so I'll try it tomorrow and see how it tastes.  It's a matter of keep trying until you hit the one that suites.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had an OGGI MC2 coffee maker for more than a year now and really like it's versatility. It comes with 3 adaptors allowing it to be used with fresh ground coffee, Nespresso capsules or Dolce Gusto capsules.

When I don't mind taking the time, it's nice to be able to use different fresh ground beans.  When I'm in a hurry or just lazy, just popping in a capsule makes an excellent cup with no effort.

Buying online, I find a good variety of capsule Thai blends, between B12-15 per capsule.  I buy beans directly online from individual Thai roasters in Chang Mai and Chang Rai for very reasonable prices.

I also use a french press but I don't like the gritty quality.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/oggi-mc2-nespresso-capsule-dolce-gusto-pod-4-i372570299-s944636213.html?clickTrackInfo=undefined&search=1&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.i40.3c732e334jlQQ9

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hwas said:

Some coffees I have purchased recently from the following: Xanthocapa, Chiang Rai, Phu Sun, Nan; bata-me, Chiang Rai; Akha Ama

Were these from Lazada? Shoppee?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

I  recently acquired an expresso machine,  and have been trying to find a good ground coffee for hot Latte in the morning.  

I noticed that Lotus carries Lavazza.

In the US I have a DeLonghi Magnifica and use Lavazza Super Crema in it with good results.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

What is the difference in taste?

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

What is the difference in taste?

“The coffee brewed from robusta beans has low acidity and a high degree of bitterness. It packs a powerful punch but isn’t nearly as palatable as arabica, with one exception: robusta is perfect for Thai-style iced coffee.  Arabica coffee is aromatic and has a much milder flavor than robusta. Depending on soil conditions and the way it’s processed, arabica can produce a much subtler and more nuanced cup of coffee. It’s the coffee of connoisseurs. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, dddave said:

I've had an OGGI MC2 coffee maker for more than a year now and really like it's versatility. It comes with 3 adaptors allowing it to be used with fresh ground coffee, Nespresso capsules or Dolce Gusto capsules.

When I don't mind taking the time, it's nice to be able to use different fresh ground beans.  When I'm in a hurry or just lazy, just popping in a capsule makes an excellent cup with no effort.

Buying online, I find a good variety of capsule Thai blends, between B12-15 per capsule.  I buy beans directly online from individual Thai roasters in Chang Mai and Chang Rai for very reasonable prices.

I also use a french press but I don't like the gritty quality.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/oggi-mc2-nespresso-capsule-dolce-gusto-pod-4-i372570299-s944636213.html?clickTrackInfo=undefined&search=1&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.i40.3c732e334jlQQ9

Having given the capsule (thimble) a try can only question how a coffee drinker can be happy with such a little sip.  During work life always had a 16 or more cup percolator brewing to make it through the day.  Thimble (supermarket sample) size cups are not my idea of coffee drinking - something to be aware of if you intend to drink more than a few CC a day.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, night_rider said:

Were these from Lazada? Shoppee?

No, I bought some at a coffee fair in Bangkok where there were individual producers and the rest I bought directly from the producer and had them mailed to me.  I like buying directly from the producer to benefit the hilltribe people.  Two of these producers, Dói Chang and Akha Ama, should be easily obtainable in Chiang Mai.  I have been finding small producers by using Google maps and searching for coffee roasters in Chiang Rai.  There are many and Clicking on a name in Google maps will lead to a Facebook page or website.  Brame coffee is a family business, wife is the grower and husband is the roaster.  They will deliver to you, tel 087-186-8918, 250 baht for 250 g.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I stumbled upon this place in mae fahluang. I have him send me the premium dark and pea berry, I blend the dark 70% pea berry 30%, very smooth low acidity, the best coffee I’ve found yet. 

281E0CB9-AECF-4B5C-AC16-4E39B9180FA1.jpeg

Edited by novacova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

What is the difference in taste?

ok .... just had my second cup of Robusta .....   and let me put it this way ...

Arabica is like driving a Mercedes with it's plush inside and smooth ride .....

Robusta is like jumping into a Ford mustang with it's burst of horsepower and a taste that's stronger on the palate.

I have to finish the 200g pack of Robusta,  however I will buy the Arabica again next as it's more subtle but still has that punch of coffee latte taste.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

ok .... just had my second cup of Robusta .....   and let me put it this way ...

Arabica is like driving a Mercedes with it's plush inside and smooth ride .....

Robusta is like jumping into a Ford mustang with it's burst of horsepower and a taste that's stronger on the palate.

I have to finish the 200g pack of Robusta,  however I will buy the Arabica again next as it's more subtle but still has that punch of coffee latte taste.

 

15 hours ago, hwas said:

"The coffee brewed from robusta beans has low acidity and a high degree of bitterness. It packs a powerful punch but isn’t nearly as palatable as arabica, with one exception: robusta is perfect for Thai-style iced coffee.  Arabica coffee is aromatic and has a much milder flavor than robusta. Depending on soil conditions and the way it’s processed, arabica can produce a much subtler and more nuanced cup of coffee. It’s the coffee of connoisseurs. 

I've had robusta in Vietnam and really enjoyed it. I felt that it didn't have the bitterness that I'm finding now that I'm trying some fresh ground beans here. Some of it had quite a rich taste with an almost chocolaty smoothness.

 

I'll have to give some robusta beans a try here. There don't seem to be many around though.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, novacova said:

I stumbled upon this place in mae fahluang. I have him send me the premium dark and pea berry, I blend the dark 70% pea berry 30%, very smooth low acidity, the best coffee I’ve found yet. 

281E0CB9-AECF-4B5C-AC16-4E39B9180FA1.jpeg

I just read about it on the internet ....  look good.

not too expensive either .....   I will order next time ...

image.png.71bcc2516ff39fc00a03db12ac60bd59.png

Edited by steven100
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought this today as my first foray into local coffees. Of all the coffee lined up on the shelf this is the one you could smell. Like it was calling my name. It had a roast date too which I look for.

 

 

IMG_2734.jpeg

IMG_2735.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

 

I've had robusta in Vietnam and really enjoyed it. I felt that it didn't have the bitterness that I'm finding now that I'm trying some fresh ground beans here. Some of it had quite a rich taste with an almost chocolaty smoothness.

 

I'll have to give some robusta beans a try here. There don't seem to be many around though.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

90% of the beans grown in Thailand are Robusta.  Look for southern Thailand coffee roasters.   Northern Thailand is mostly Arabica, as Robusta does not grow at high altitudes 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Moccona green box (only). Used to be epic value. Vanished in Big C and Shopee it's 50% up.

 

Viet, Lao coffee has the strength right as it's roasted dark but it's flat, one dimensional

 

I just ordered JIN Arabia Italian roast 500gm. Cheap. We'll see.

 

No love for BonCafe

 

Starbucks French Roast is the only one I like but it's horrible value. I hate the company as well.

 

If you don't drink black coffee why worry about any of it? Nescafe Red Cup for you.

Edited by BonMot
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, night_rider said:

I bought this today as my first foray into local coffees. Of all the coffee lined up on the shelf this is the one you could smell. Like it was calling my name. It had a roast date too which I look for.

 

 

IMG_2734.jpeg

IMG_2735.jpeg

How'd it work out?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...