Coffee

night_rider

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Paper filters take something out of the coffee that they consider healthy for you, I figured what it was.

If you look further into it, I think you'll find that unbleached paper filters recommended as the healthiest option. The downside is of course the coffee doesn't taste as good without as much cafestol and kahweol. Funny 'bout that. Well, I don't feel I need much worry about this; obviously, it would be the least of worries for most members here.

Edited by BigStar

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

On actually brewing, I actually prefer this SS Drip funnel:

image.png.ea7e1acbdb633ffca076922c143d399a.png

I seem to have more control over the extraction time, by simply pouring the water in slowly vs our 'coffee' machine, as 15 bars, water goes thru too fast to extract properly, unless wanting Americana, and that's stretch.  Don't care for the limited amount the portafilter hold.  

We have the 'machine', French presses & Moka pots, and prefer the cheap A$$ drip funnel ????

why mess about with all that .... paper filters,  drips,  cleaning etc .... no thanks ....

buy an expresso machine .....  1000 baht ....    easy peasy  !!     hot latte or cappuccino or expresso ...... make whatever you want and no mess  .....       easy cleanup ....  .    

image.png.9f0aca21abfccfbeb528c08d5c4eb14a.png

Edited by steven100

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

why mess about with all that .... paper filters,  drips,  cleaning etc .... no thanks ....

buy an expresso machine .....  1000 baht ....    easy peasy  !!     hot latte or cappuccino or expresso ...... make whatever you want and no mess  .....       easy cleanup ....  .    

image.png.9f0aca21abfccfbeb528c08d5c4eb14a.png

Our coffee machine isn't any easier to clean than the other method.  Probably the most 'hassle' to clean and use, as our biggest portafilter is only about 25g.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I use 50g of ground to 350g/ml of water, for 300+ml yield.  Which is a decent Americano @ 1 to 6 coffee/water ratio.

Weighed this morning, and a 285g/ml ish yield.  Grounds keeping about 65ml.  Makes it a 9.5 oz cup for you yanks.  Leaves plenty of room in my cup if I want to make it a flat white.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:31 AM, MaiDong said:

I, too, used to drink instant coffee here, I think it's because back in the UK everybody around me drank instant coffee, nobody I knew had a coffee machine or even a cafetière/French press.

I decided I wanted to cut milk/creamers out of my coffee and the only way of doing that was to drink 'fresh' coffee, so I headed down to my local Foodland, picked up the cheapest ground coffee I could find, went to Ikea and got a cafetière(cheaper are available now on Laz/Shopee), and I've never looked back since.

I've tried Boncafe, which is nice, I've tried imported African ground, which was disappointing, I've also gone random in Foodland and tried some more expensive ground coffee, but nothing compares to my old faithful - Duang Dee Hill Tribe Coffee

97d4b37c6e35f83e000767e03da42814.jpg.57909d40f6370c7f32fa3c583e0c472b.jpg

It costs B99 for 250g, the flavour is amazing, it may not be the coffee connoisseurs' choice, but it's a million miles away from that instant muck, plus there's zero sachet/pod wastage.

So, for a low cost foray into 'fresh' coffee, try this first, you won't be disappointed, not for taste, nor price.

Where's this Duang Dee from? link?