Coffee

night_rider

On 9/11/2022 at 6:21 PM, recom273 said:

I bought a copy of a clever dripper for 300B

So did I at a similar price, but the plastic cracked within a few months and it sprung a leak. Second one I bought is a better copy, made with styrene-acrylonitrile resin, cost 3 times the price, though still a third the price of the genuine item. Two years on it hasn't cracked up and works just fine.

1 hour ago, audaciousnomad said:

Robusta is not commonly served black.  It is a very bitter and harsh bean, so you will find it most often served very sweet by mixing with condensed milk.  If you've ever had Vietnamese Iced coffee, that is pure robusta....which is why they sweeten it so much to compensate for the extreme bitterness.

Interesting.  I checked out the beans in the coffee I used to buy in Vietnam and it appears it was a blend of Arabica and Robusta.  (I had assumed they were 100% Robusta.)   I'll find out what 100% Robusta is like soon, then I might try the mixed beans shared by @Peterw42 above.

????

Edited by BangkokReady

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

after tasting Robusta this morning,  I much prefer the Arabica for hot Latte .....   

Arabica is the superior bean generally speaking.

I believe Moccona (green) is Robusto but it's quite acceptable black. Too bad it has vanished.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, night_rider said:

555 I don't know. I was seduced by the smell of the coffee aisle. I have to order my aeropress or french press tonight. Though I have enjoyed chewing on the beans all day like candy.

The Aeropress is well reported...  Once you have the right bean choice the key is to get the right grind setting...  too fine and you’ll choke the press, to coarse and you’ll under extract. 

- The grind is slightly more coarse than the fine grind you’d use for espresso extraction (if you are familiar with that).

You may need to dial in your recipe to get the best out of it vs the bean type, roast level and grind size - I’m not sure how forgiving the Aeropress is with this. 

This guy seems to know more about coffee than anyone else around it seems... His videos are interesting (if you are into coffee). 

https://aeroprecipe.com/recipes/james-hoffmann-aeropress-recipe

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 5:28 PM, BangkokReady said:

What is the difference in taste?

The main thing is the shaking after drinking, and also the acceleration of the cardiac rhythm

on Robusta, the Arabica taste also better for me.

For Latte, try a darker roast.

Regards.

oh

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, ohpont said:

The main thing is the shaking after drinking, and also the acceleration of the cardiac rhythm

on Robusta, the Arabica taste also better for me.

For Latte, try a darker roast.

Regards.

oh

Robusta just finished and it taste's better each day .....  however,   you say try a dark roast Arabica 70%+Robusta30% fot Latte ?

I don't think that the brewing process is the only factor which influence the taste, of course the roasting and the process making, grinding size, quantity, quality of the water and temperature of it, and don't forget storage of the beans once torrefied, all influence on the taste.

Don't forget to look for origin too.

The majority of coffee grown here is Catimor, Caturra, Typica and Yellow Bourbon and I think Gesha is coming too. Now like every fruits, some years are better than others, usually every four, but not always, and the you have the terroir and the altitude, the higher, the less treatment is needed! Then also which sherries are picked at maturity or en vrac, the cleaning of the fruit, fermentation, washing and drying of the beans,

so many factor influencing the taste.

Et Patati, et Patata.

Regards.

oh

Talking about Arabica in the North.

Edited by ohpont
corrections
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have been getting very good coffee from Siam Great Coffee for over a year now. No complaints about the quick delivery and reasonably priced. I personally always get 1KG of Extra Expresso. It's delivered as (4) 250g vacuum packed bags. Delivery is normally 2-3 days... https://shopee.co.th/????เหมา-1-กิโล-ราคาพิเศษ-315฿-????-เมล็ดกาแฟดอยช้างคั่ว-Extra-espresso-หอม-คั่วค่อนข้างเข้ม-i.15352490.1386751977 they are listed on Lazada also...

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 4:49 PM, BonMot said:

How'd it work out?

I would not recommend this coffee. It is too dark for me. Bitter burnt taste. I'll try a larger grind.

I gravitated toward dark roasts when I was younger but these days I prefer light or medium roasts even for espresso.

One of the reasons I wanted some good coffee is to eliminate milk and sweetener. I prefer a good black coffee. Sometimes a machiatto.

Edited by night_rider
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 3:57 PM, night_rider said:

I would not recommend this coffee. It is too dark for me. Bitter burnt taste. I'll try a larger grind.

I gravitated toward dark roasts when I was younger but these days I prefer light or medium roasts even for espresso.

One of the reasons I wanted some good coffee is to eliminate milk and sweetener. I prefer a good black coffee. Sometimes a machiatto.

I just had another Robusta 100%  hot Latte and I must say the taste is growing on me even though I just bought a bag of Arabica70%+Rob30% expresso medium dark.

I'm a bit like yourself in that I try to use as little milk on top as possible but still have a Latte ,  as such the Latte made from the expresso needs a bit more milk than the Robusta. 

I, too, used to drink instant coffee here, I think it's because back in the UK everybody around me drank instant coffee, nobody I knew had a coffee machine or even a cafetière/French press.

I decided I wanted to cut milk/creamers out of my coffee and the only way of doing that was to drink 'fresh' coffee, so I headed down to my local Foodland, picked up the cheapest ground coffee I could find, went to Ikea and got a cafetière(cheaper are available now on Laz/Shopee), and I've never looked back since.

I've tried Boncafe, which is nice, I've tried imported African ground, which was disappointing, I've also gone random in Foodland and tried some more expensive ground coffee, but nothing compares to my old faithful - Duang Dee Hill Tribe Coffee

97d4b37c6e35f83e000767e03da42814.jpg.57909d40f6370c7f32fa3c583e0c472b.jpg

It costs B99 for 250g, the flavour is amazing, it may not be the coffee connoisseurs' choice, but it's a million miles away from that instant muck, plus there's zero sachet/pod wastage.

So, for a low cost foray into 'fresh' coffee, try this first, you won't be disappointed, not for taste, nor price.

Edited by MaiDong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2022 at 12:11 AM, steven100 said:

I  recently acquired an expresso machine,  and have been trying to find a good ground coffee for hot Latte in the morning.  Last packet I bought was from The bean Co ... medium dark Arabica ...  it was quite good although something slightly stronger would suit better ....  

Stick with Arabica but if your making milk based drinks you need a dark roast to cut thru the milk

Light or medium roasts are good for straight coffee/espresso/americano/pour over  etc

• Like 1

Here's one coffee you may want to avoid, as wasn't for us:

image.png.7bf6d8d9ef2a98b0d3cb8e1adc19f51d.png

My review of, and vendor's reply to:

"Burnt flavor ... not for us. At least not expensive to sample. Fast delivery, though silly delivery charge. 64 baht for a 200 baht item = 30+ % delivery charge????"

"Response from store - 2 years ago

Roast with machine standard.cargo North to south Prachuap Khiri khan 64 baht system is calculate."

Here's one coffee to consider, and we've happy sipping for about 10 yrs:

image.png.451e71019cae7ac9ecad7a41eb18ba93.png

They offer different beans/Arabica/Robusta/blends.  We prefer the Arabica.

Although, wanting to test a new brand, we sampled at coffee shop, and if we switch, I'll update.

On actually brewing, I actually prefer this SS Drip funnel:

image.png.ea7e1acbdb633ffca076922c143d399a.png

I seem to have more control over the extraction time, by simply pouring the water in slowly vs our 'coffee' machine, as 15 bars, water goes thru too fast to extract properly, unless wanting Americana, and that's stretch.  Don't care for the limited amount the portafilter hold.  

We have the 'machine', French presses & Moka pots, and prefer the cheap A$$ drip funnel ????

image.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 2:02 PM, KhunLA said:

I actually use the drip funnel thingy of late, as easier for my large morning cuppa.

Way to go. French press, a cleanup needed. Coffee machines, too much plastic.

Boncafe, good value at Makro, good 'nuff. Ground, no fooling around. Metal dripper, drip directly into big mug.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Way to go. French press, a cleanup needed. Coffee machines, too much plastic.

Boncafe, good value, good 'nuff. Ground, no fooling around. Metal dripper, drip directly into mug.

For those using French press, and not putting grounds in compost, then easy clean up is holding upside down over toilet, and using butt wash to rinse out ... ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Here's one coffee you may want to avoid, as wasn't for us:

image.png.7bf6d8d9ef2a98b0d3cb8e1adc19f51d.png

My review of, and vendor's reply to:

"Burnt flavor ... not for us. At least not expensive to sample. Fast delivery, though silly delivery charge. 64 baht for a 200 baht item = 30+ % delivery charge????"

"Response from store - 2 years ago

Roast with machine standard.cargo North to south Prachuap Khiri khan 64 baht system is calculate."

Here's one coffee to consider, and we've happy sipping for about 10 yrs:

image.png.451e71019cae7ac9ecad7a41eb18ba93.png

They offer different beans/Arabica/Robusta/blends.  We prefer the Arabica.

Although, wanting to test a new brand, we sampled at coffee shop, and if we switch, I'll update.

On actually brewing, I actually prefer this SS Drip funnel:

image.png.ea7e1acbdb633ffca076922c143d399a.png

I seem to have more control over the extraction time, by simply pouring the water in slowly vs our 'coffee' machine, as 15 bars, water goes thru too fast to extract properly, unless wanting Americana, and that's stretch.  Don't care for the limited amount the portafilter hold.  

We have the 'machine', French presses & Moka pots, and prefer the cheap A$$ drip funnel ????

image.png

This is interesting, as I often leave the cafetiere for the washing up pixie(s) due to utter laziness, I'm sure my washing up pixie(s) would appreciate an easier job, I'll see if I can get one that'll accommodate my 400ml morning coffee.

I'm actually travelling to the UK this week and I've got a stainless cafetiere on my shopping list which I'm really looking forward to! But this drip funnel - if there are no disposable/replacement parts required - could be a welcome addition to my morning coffee ritual.

1 minute ago, MaiDong said:

This is interesting, as I often leave the cafetiere for the washing up pixie(s) due to utter laziness, I'm sure my washing up pixie(s) would appreciate an easier job, I'll see if I can get one that'll accommodate my 400ml morning coffee.

I'm actually travelling to the UK this week and I've got a stainless cafetiere on my shopping list which I'm really looking forward to! But this drip funnel - if there are no disposable/replacement parts required - could be a welcome addition to my morning coffee ritual.

Since no paper filter, you'll want to give it a good stir, after done dripping.  The whirlpool will put any fine particles on the bottom, as they will come thru, same as French press.

Then simply pass on the last sip, or you'll be enjoying a bit of sludge, or not.

I use 50g of ground to 350g/ml of water, for 300+ml yield.  Which is a decent Americano @ 1 to 6 coffee/water ratio.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 1:33 PM, night_rider said:

If anyone has a source for green beans I would also be interested.

Hmong village (2nd one) at the top of Doi Suthep are always selling green beans.

The Chiang Mai university coffee plantation and shop (just before the village) also sell them.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

'Course, you can also throw a paper filter in there if you like. Unbleached, of course. Buy in bulk on Lazada.

Paper filters take something out of the coffee that they consider healthy for you, I figured what it was.