Isaan town review

Sparktrader

5 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Not knocking you mate, but the quote, " we see things not as they are,but as we are" applies a bit I think.

Are you closer to young and handsome or old and fat?

Why you want to date me?

Of course we have biases. We cannot like every place and sometimes you like a place more or less the 2nd time.

Udon was weird. Tuk Tuk driver and his daughter offered her services 600 baht, 30 mins after I arrived. Night market had some rather disappointing food. The bars were rather bogan. 

KK looks great but with next to no tourists the locals seem suprised you are even there. Zero taxis or tuk tuks await a major train, thats weird to me. 

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Interesting analysis. Only ever been to Nong Khai. 

Would like to visit the other places and see for myself.

Thanks. I think driving from Nong Khai to Ubon via mekhong is the best trip. Thats what I would recommend. The villages in Beung Kan are nice. Good waterfalls with no farangs, wat phu tuk, 3 whale rock. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Did that 40 years ago on a motorcycle. Roads were a bit rough and passed through villages that were former communist strongholds. Got some weird stares. So many buffalos around back then. Coming into Mukdahan ( sleepy nowhereville back then ) around sunset there were an incredible amount of buffalos coming in from the fields. Thousands of them. Almost all gone now and a white man is nothing to get exited about any more.

Kids in Beung Kan villages dont see many farangs. 

Wow , didnt know horny farangs went there . Part of me is also , but i keep that in the few days i stay in Pattaya . After i go to home , and i just relax . Many towns and small villages got all tech right now , and more people then you expect can pay for it also . They are not the party towns , they are just normal regular Thai cities and villages . They are all great to some extend , 1 suits better 1 person while another 1 prefers next . OP's topic is stupid and ridiculous and very narrow minded . In fact , idk what he is doing there in the 1st place , if he is looking for that kind of stuff ( plenty to find if you are on the younger side and speak a bit of Thai language ) .

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sezze said:

Wow , didnt know horny farangs went there . Part of me is also , but i keep that in the few days i stay in Pattaya . After i go to home , and i just relax . Many towns and small villages got all tech right now , and more people then you expect can pay for it also . They are not the party towns , they are just normal regular Thai cities and villages . They are all great to some extend , 1 suits better 1 person while another 1 prefers next . OP's topic is stupid and ridiculous and very narrow minded . In fact , idk what he is doing there in the 1st place , if he is looking for that kind of stuff ( plenty to find if you are on the younger side and speak a bit of Thai language ) .

Weird response. I like to travel and see things. Your response was stupid.

I have no idea what an "open minded" travel review is.

I just stated what I found, liked and disliked.

"In fact , idk what he is doing there in the 1st place , if he is looking for that kind of stuff"

What kind of stuff?

I think you are talking about yourself.

13 minutes ago, Denim said:

Probably see them first on Tik Tok these days. The real thing comes later. No electricity in these villages back then so no televisions even. Only radios to listen to.

Very scenic place, nicer than most provinces. Hardly gets a mention. Great for travellers with a car. 

The place was far more appealing to me than Udon.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

Chiang Khan is probably one of Thai peoples go to places in the whole of Issaan and the drive along the Mekong to Nong Kai is beautiful 

It looks a bit tacky. Nice restaurants on river east edge of Nong Khai. Beung Kan had some real local ones on river.

• Like 1

Just now, GinBoy2 said:

Problem with the majority of Thai cities and towns.

Blindfold and drop you into anyone of them and it's hard to tell the difference between any of them of similar size.

Very few of them have any real defining features outside of the usual tourist spots

I think people and food make places good. Also value for money. If you pay 400 baht for a lame waterfall vs free for a good one it makes a difference.

3 whale rock is 500 baht but thats for car transport plus guide and 2 people price same as one so value for money.

Tham Phra Waterfall 100 baht for a boat trip, waterfall free. Nice boat trip, great waterfall.

12 minutes ago, recom273 said:

The beauty of Issan isnt in the cities, its in the country and its in the countryside people.

I never felt that people in Khon Kaen City bat an eyelid - if you go to Big C during the day, you will see more westerners than Thais. 

I agree, the countryside like the north. CM is way better with wheels but Isaan not much choice re tours so wheels help more.

Saw 5 farangs in Central in 2 hours. 

18 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I agree, the countryside like the north. CM is way better with wheels but Isaan not much choice re tours so wheels help more.

Saw 5 farangs in Central in 2 hours. 

They are all still sleeping.
Al night out drinking and making the ladies happy.

BTW: It's Bueng Kan and not Beung Kan.

• Like 1